U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:24 AM

5,210 posts, read 9,109,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharRahl View Post
Iíve currently been looking around at the house market, and you would be surprised by what you can find. The realtor I am using pointed out some really REALLY nice houses that last year where going for around 500$k, that are now 300$k. She said that hardly anyone is paying over 300$k recently. I also heard a report on NPR just a little while ago about the state of the housing market in areas close to large cities with heavily used Metro services.

Home Prices Drop Most in Areas with Long Commute : NPR
It seems the prices are starting to even out, and some places have even started to go back up in recent months.
You've done your homework. Yep, the condo market is leveling out. Areas in Mclean, Arlington, Vienna are going right back up. The rest of the close in areas are bound to follow. If I had the money, I'd be grabbing them myself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 11:29 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,791,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
There are tons of all brick homes in your price range - older homes that still look great.
And brick does not get hot in the summer - in fact I find my all brick home much cooler in the summer than vinyl homes I have owned.
It's good to hear a good experience with all brick, especially since there are a lot of them (and they do look handsome). Maybe it's a matter of intelligent design? When I think about it, my prejudice against all-brick homes is based on one house (my brother's house), not on any overall knowledge of architecture. And that probably isn't fair.

He bought an all-brick house in McLean 6 years ago, and every summer he has to sleep in the basement or outside during the dog days. It's a tiny little cape cod that cost him more than $700,000--and he has to camp out in the back yard.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:33 PM

14 posts, read 27,414 times
It's my opinion that house sale prices will continue to slide (slowly) for the next few months BUT the thing to watch is Interest Rates!!! As interest rates climb they eat up any savings you may attain by waiting for sale prices to drop. For example - if you are watching & waiting for a $500k house drop to $475k or $450k but interest rates change from 6% to 6.5% your monthly payment would remain about the same or could actually increase. Buyers aren't doing themselves any favors by waiting out this market. We are at the bottom of the market right now Today! Sellers are ready and willing to negoatiate sale prices and closing costs. This is a fantastic buyers market! The goal of real estate investing is to buy low and sell high. Knock, Knock - Low prices are screaming for you (Buyers) to open the hypathetical door!!!

Again - this is my opinion, but I've been in business for 14+ years and have seen different markets come and go... Feel free to contact me directly with additional questions.

Have a great day!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:42 PM

57 posts, read 162,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
I totally agree! Good luck on finding an all vinyl siding house in a decent area for $250K. Plus, I swear in the original post she wrote she'd be here in 2 to 3 years.
I didn't say I'm going to find a vinly house for that price if you READ!!!!! I said I wouldn't pay for a vinly house that's more than 250,000 if I was looking for that particular type. I wouldn't be looking anyways I hate vinyl homes. And you swear right my original post did say I won't be back for 2-3 yrs to live permantely but I also said if the market is right I can buy a home when I visit and that's often. My numbers might be all over the place but guess what I do know what I want and that's not to pay no more than 450,000 for any home.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,046,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaGirl1 View Post
I didn't say I'm going to find a vinly house for that price if you READ!!!!! I said I wouldn't pay for a vinly house that's more than 250,000 if I was looking for that particular type. I wouldn't be looking anyways I hate vinyl homes. And you swear right my original post did say I won't be back for 2-3 yrs to live permantely but I also said if the market is right I can buy a home when I visit and that's often. My numbers might be all over the place but guess what I do know what I want and that's not to pay no more than 450,000 for any home.
I can read just fine thanks, but your posts make no sense. One post says you won't be living here for another 2 to 3 years, another one says you are going to be living here as soon as you buy. Was the thread not "Buying a Home Wait or Buy Now"??? Now means NOW right?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I can read just fine thanks, but your posts make no sense. One post says you won't be living here for another 2 to 3 years, another one says you are going to be living here as soon as you buy. Was the thread not "Buying a Home Wait or Buy Now"??? Now means NOW right?
You can buy a home sweetie pie without living in it. My post makes sense you just can't understand it which is your problem. Let me break it down for you sweetheart since for some reason your not getting it. I am now overseas but I am moving back to the states in 2-3yrs northern virginia my hometown. I wanted to know if I should buy now which means I would come home and buy a house while the market is good or should I wait unti I finish overseas and buy. Get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sadddddddddddddd..

Old 04-25-2008, 08:52 PM

488 posts, read 1,583,602 times
hey Virginia Girl,

where are you expat-ing now?

Europe?

Old 04-26-2008, 05:46 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,046,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaGirl1 View Post
You can buy a home sweetie pie without living in it. My post makes sense you just can't understand it which is your problem. Let me break it down for you sweetheart since for some reason your not getting it. I am now overseas but I am moving back to the states in 2-3yrs northern virginia my hometown. I wanted to know if I should buy now which means I would come home and buy a house while the market is good or should I wait unti I finish overseas and buy. Get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sadddddddddddddd..
Sugar pie honey bunches of oats.... you clearly stated that if you bought here NOW you would be living here now... but another post says you won't be living here for another 2 to 3 years and another post says you would buy now but won't be living here. Get it straight.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Sugar pie honey bunches of oats.... you clearly stated that if you bought here NOW you would be living here now... but another post says you won't be living here for another 2 to 3 years and another post says you would buy now but won't be living here. Get it straight.
Where in any of my post did I say I would be living here now if I buy? You clearly again misunderstood the post and as far as I'm concern I can't explain to you anymore.And what does it matter anyway do you have a house to sell me? I advice you to go back and read and read VERY SLOW maybe you will get it then honey bunches of oats!!!. I am located now in Pakistan!!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 02:31 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,870,711 times
I think I'd wait VirginiaGirl. I don't think we've near hit bottom yet.

I keep an eye on properties near me just out of curiosity. I like this website:
Home Search: Select County

Then, when they sell, I go to the County tax assessor's site and see what they got for it and how long it took.

Here's Fairfax County's site:

Fairfax County

PS: The sales prices on the County's site are gross, not net. You can't tell what subsidies the seller had to kick back, but it gives a general idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia