Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 03:18 PM

57 posts, read 179,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I think I'd wait VirginiaGirl. I don't think we've near hit bottom yet.

I keep an eye on properties near me just out of curiosity. I like this website:
Home Search: Select County

Then, when they sell, I go to the County tax assessor's site and see what they got for it and how long it took.

Here's Fairfax County's site:

Fairfax County

PS: The sales prices on the County's site are gross, not net. You can't tell what subsidies the seller had to kick back, but it gives a general idea.
thank you for you information car54 I will take a look at the websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 06:40 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Hi VirginiaGirl -I would contact a realtor if I was *serious* about buying a home in the near future. Websites are great for gathering data, but they are often w-a-y behind the actual trends in any given neighborhood. You should get up to date, blow by blow reports NOW on the areas you are most interested in.

Whats happening in Mannassas may not be what's happening in McLean, etc., etc.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:02 AM

57 posts, read 179,502 times
Thnx, springfieldva i'm in the process of doing that now!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:13 PM

523 posts, read 1,417,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharRahl View Post
I’ve currently been looking around at the house market, and you would be surprised by what you can find. The realtor I am using pointed out some really REALLY nice houses that last year where going for around 500$k, that are now 300$k. She said that hardly anyone is paying over 300$k recently. I also heard a report on NPR just a little while ago about the state of the housing market in areas close to large cities with heavily used Metro services.

Home Prices Drop Most in Areas with Long Commute : NPR
It seems the prices are starting to even out, and some places have even started to go back up in recent months.
Not here in the DC Metro area... prices posted their largest year-over-year decline EVER just last month.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:19 PM

523 posts, read 1,417,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mark View Post
It's my opinion that house sale prices will continue to slide (slowly) for the next few months BUT the thing to watch is Interest Rates!!! As interest rates climb they eat up any savings you may attain by waiting for sale prices to drop. For example - if you are watching & waiting for a $500k house drop to $475k or $450k but interest rates change from 6% to 6.5% your monthly payment would remain about the same or could actually increase. Buyers aren't doing themselves any favors by waiting out this market. We are at the bottom of the market right now Today! Sellers are ready and willing to negoatiate sale prices and closing costs. This is a fantastic buyers market! The goal of real estate investing is to buy low and sell high. Knock, Knock - Low prices are screaming for you (Buyers) to open the hypathetical door!!!

Again - this is my opinion, but I've been in business for 14+ years and have seen different markets come and go... Feel free to contact me directly with additional questions.

Have a great day!
I would love for interest rates to suddenly spike. This would put even more i downward pressure on house prices and speed up this long overdue correction. You fail to see the point that housing are much too unaffordable and these prices, even off of their peaks, cannot be sustained.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 AM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Mojo 1979 - haven't the prices in Arlington actually *increased* over the past few months? I'm not saying that every area, in every price range, has hit bottom yet.
But many areas (especially in the below 500K range) have already suffered substantial corrections and are about as affordable as they are going to get, given the very low interest rates you can get now on 30yr loans.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:11 AM

45 posts, read 162,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I think I'd wait VirginiaGirl. I don't think we've near hit bottom yet.

I keep an eye on properties near me just out of curiosity. I like this website:
Home Search: Select County

Then, when they sell, I go to the County tax assessor's site and see what they got for it and how long it took.

Here's Fairfax County's site:

Fairfax County

PS: The sales prices on the County's site are gross, not net. You can't tell what subsidies the seller had to kick back, but it gives a general idea.
Just thought I would point out that washingtonpost also has a good tool for this: Washington DC Metro Area Home Values & House Values

Old 04-28-2008, 11:57 AM

280 posts, read 1,073,355 times
I think the market is very neighborhood specific right now in the DC area. In some highly desirable neighborhoods homes are starting to move quick. I sold my 4200 sq ft single family home in Cascades in less than a week. The amount of showings was unbelieveable. We got close to asking price. I think it is all about location, schools and home condition. There are plenty of buyers out there with good, high paying jobs, loads of equity and are ready to buy. sorry to the naysayers.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM

488 posts, read 1,746,994 times
how did you sell it for?

and how long ago did you buy it.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:36 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom06 View Post
I think the market is very neighborhood specific right now in the DC area. In some highly desirable neighborhoods homes are starting to move quick. I sold my 4200 sq ft single family home in Cascades in less than a week. The amount of showings was unbelieveable. We got close to asking price. I think it is all about location, schools and home condition. There are plenty of buyers out there with good, high paying jobs, loads of equity and are ready to buy. sorry to the naysayers.
Congratulations Nova Mom!!!!!

That's wonderful news. I'm so happy for you. That reminds me.... the last time I was up in Virginia (about 10 days ago) I took a photo to share with this site:

This is a For Sale sign for a house on McGees Ferry Way in my daughter's neighborhood. As you can see, it sold so quickly that the "new listing" sign is still up.

In late Feb., my daughter was starting to feel a little nervous. For several months there had been 1 home for sale on McGees Ferry Way. Then suddenly 2 more homes put up signs. She hated driving down the street seeing three homes for sale.

But things turned around quickly. Two of the homes sold within two weeks of each other. And then just a week or so later this house sold. Now there are no homes for sale on the street. Woo hoo!

Another pleasant surprise was how many people she saw looking at the house. There were a lot of people making return visits.

Apparently the owner of the house was very surprised to get an offer so quickly (and close to the asking price) ...and it left him in a pickle. He had put the house on the market early, expecting to move in August (and probably leaving behind a vacant house). He had to scramble to get a rental place.

Of course, that's the kind of headache a home seller wants to have!

Where are you moving to? Oh please oh please tell me you're moving to Georgia--I'd love to have you down here as a neighbor!

Last edited by normie; 04-28-2008 at 12:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia