U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2008, 02:23 PM

2,544 posts, read 5,176,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast23 View Post
Use the .22 rounds on the mice. How much of a problem are mice in N. Va? I can tolerate snakes, but mice are another thing.

I have a field behind the house, so there are some of them critters running around. I got the snake living rent free in my backyard, all he has to do is control the population back there. Also the neighborhood cats are on patrol too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 02:27 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,648,902 times
I have heard if you really want to get rid of snakes, the best way is with a big dog, they are fast and have been known to kill even poisonous snakes with no problem.

I babysat for a friend one time, she had a wonderful black lab named Molly. She had a high old time catching and killing black snakes in my backyard.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:38 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,897,607 times
At my grandmother's country place in West Virginia we have a shotgun (slightly sawed off I think) that we call "Snakey." Its purpose is to kill snakes, including black snakes, by severing their head. I'm not entirely sure shooting a black snake with a weak .22 will do much of anything - you have to sever the head. They are not poisonous so are "harmless" in that respect, but I do believe they can still bite. My biggest concerns with a snake in the yard would be (1) stepping on it or otherwise startling it and causing it to bite (2) children or pets (i currently have neither, but still) doing the same, (3) the snake deciding to come into the house and (4) the possibility one snake could become a family of snakes...

Of course, the shotgun option wouldn't be taken kindly to in the city, so I'd tend to suggest calling animal control or an exterminator if you feel like you need to get rid of it. Otherwise, leave it and perhaps it'll leave on its own eventually?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
At my grandmother's country place in West Virginia we have a shotgun (slightly sawed off I think) that we call "Snakey." Its purpose is to kill snakes, including black snakes, by severing their head. I'm not entirely sure shooting a black snake with a weak .22 will do much of anything - you have to sever the head. They are not poisonous so are "harmless" in that respect, but I do believe they can still bite. My biggest concerns with a snake in the yard would be (1) stepping on it or otherwise startling it and causing it to bite (2) children or pets (i currently have neither, but still) doing the same, (3) the snake deciding to come into the house and (4) the possibility one snake could become a family of snakes...

Of course, the shotgun option wouldn't be taken kindly to in the city, so I'd tend to suggest calling animal control or an exterminator if you feel like you need to get rid of it. Otherwise, leave it and perhaps it'll leave on its own eventually?
haha awsome. Good info thanks

Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 PM

10 posts, read 75,250 times
I live in spotsylvania county, we are in snake country and have had a few incidents with snakes in the house when we first moved in. Good advice about getting rid of any mice, black snakes are harmless, more often than not they will slither off rather than fight you, but they will bite and the bites might make you get sick, my brother in law was bit by one in the yard in November moving wood and was fine the next day. We use mothballs to keep snakes away, and knock on wood for the last 4 years it has seemed to work. Right when it starts to get warm we go and buy about 10 boxes and throw some under the porch and house, in woods and around the sheds. We have seen maybe 3 snakes in the last 4 years. The mothballs smell for a day or two but then goes away. What I was told is that they hate the smell and will not go near it. Seems to work for us.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:59 PM

578 posts, read 1,425,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
west prince william county
How big a problem are snakes there?
Is this something which is a problem just for people in older houses with a lot of land...or are people in subdivisions having big deals?
What about mice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadler's sweetie View Post
I live in spotsylvania county, we are in snake country and have had a few incidents with snakes in the house when we first moved in. Good advice about getting rid of any mice, black snakes are harmless, more often than not they will slither off rather than fight you, but they will bite and the bites might make you get sick, my brother in law was bit by one in the yard in November moving wood and was fine the next day. We use mothballs to keep snakes away, and knock on wood for the last 4 years it has seemed to work. Right when it starts to get warm we go and buy about 10 boxes and throw some under the porch and house, in woods and around the sheds. We have seen maybe 3 snakes in the last 4 years. The mothballs smell for a day or two but then goes away. What I was told is that they hate the smell and will not go near it. Seems to work for us.

Likewise....how big a problem are snakes in spotsy?
Is this something which is a problem for older houses on larger plots...or do new subdivisions have these issues?
What about mice?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
Is this something which is a problem just for people in older houses with a lot of land...or are people in subdivisions having big deals?
What about mice?
Well, there is no real problem with snakes, because they have always been here. We're the problem

Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 PM

10 posts, read 75,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
What about mice?

Likewise....how big a problem are snakes in spotsy?
Is this something which is a problem for older houses on larger plots...or do new subdivisions have these issues?
What about mice?

I haven't heard of people in subdivisions having problems, But I do know people who live near the lake that see them from time to time. I live in rural area with big fields and we have wood piles, sheds and lawnmowers and such which are great places for snakes to hid, so the mothballs and such are really just a precaution b/c I would rather not see any. Since we have been living here I have probably seen a total of 7-8 snakes at the most so I really dont consider it problem since I live near a field and the woods so I know I am bound to see a snake or two, and mice. When we moved hear I had a problem with mice, (I am pretty sure that is why we saw so many snakes the first few years we lived here) so we got a cat . So we patched up any and every hole and that is when we started using the mothballs, Needless to say no more mice or snakes. So it seems to work.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:33 AM

578 posts, read 1,425,838 times
Whereabouts in Spotsy do you live...and is it still rural?

Old 06-29-2008, 07:43 PM

1,321 posts, read 1,523,859 times
Default Be thankful

If you are lucky enough to have a mouse eating snake that isn't dangerous, thank your lucky stars and leave it alone! It isn't going to bother you and will control the mice around your house. Now for the mice. They will get into your house, damage the house and wiring, defecate all over it, (including your dishes, food etc). Finally, when you end up poisoning them out of desperation, they will stink up your house for months.

One more point, this black snake is eating all the food that less conspicuous poisonous snakes will be eating when you get rid of him.

As I said, protect the snake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia