U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 PM

100 posts, read 223,785 times

Advertisements

saw at the science museum in va beach that very often a hog nose is mistaken for a coppper head often.....look that up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 35,810 times
Default Unidentified Snake in Stafford

I have identified that snake that I wasn't sure about. It was in fact a copperhead. Most non-poisonous snakes will "run" when confronted. This one turned and reared up when we tried to move it out of the way. Typical copperhead behavior.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:04 PM

5,514 posts, read 9,324,562 times
I suggest: turn and rear yourself then when confronted w/a copperhead

Old 08-03-2008, 08:58 PM

24 posts, read 61,412 times
Holy snikies!! I am terrified of snakes and have been working on that for awhile with no success. I ran into a black snake late one night when I lived in my townhouse in Centreville. Around midnight, we arrived and as I with bounding up the 4 steps to my front door, I looked up at my porch light (which was on) and there wrapped around the fixture was Mr. Snake. I felt like Eve in Eden with the snake ready to greet me at the door with some nefarious plan.

I screamed a blood-curdler and suddenly found myself about 50 feet away up the sidewalk hyperventilating. I remember the snake unwinding and dropping to the ground when I started screaming and I imagine that if the snake had vocal cords - it would have been screaming too. ICK!!

My husband thought it was way overdrama and we argued for quite sometime over what he thought was a ridiculous reaction. He had to talk me into the house. I'm sure I woke up my neighbors that night.

Anyway, we've been in Western Prince William county for 7 years and I have yet to see a snake - thank god. Lots of frogs - but I love frogs! I am an animal lover and although I'm scared of snakes - I would never kill them. I'd just stop going where they were. Unless they are in my house - then all bets are off!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 PM

2,538 posts, read 5,117,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee8 View Post
t.

Anyway, we've been in Western Prince William county
You have to be careful out here, I heard the snakes are really smart, ring the doorbell and let themselves in. Also check the sheets before you go to bed, because they will crawling in your bed some nights.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 AM

24 posts, read 61,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
You have to be careful out here, I heard the snakes are really smart, ring the doorbell and let themselves in. Also check the sheets before you go to bed, because they will crawling in your bed some nights.

OHHHH!! You'll smoke a turd in heckums for that!!! I have 5 protector cats that are very alert to doorbells and will ferret those rascals out for me -- or -- they'll be hanging from the chandelier with me, I'm not sure which.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:02 AM

34 posts, read 112,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee8 View Post
My husband thought it was way overdrama and we argued for quite sometime over what he thought was a ridiculous reaction.
Nothing personal, but I agree with your husband. A Black snake is as harmless a critter as you could want if you are not a mouse, or a baby bird. Primary food is big bugs with an occasional as described. Biggest reason they don't make good pets is the size of their litters. One day you have one, next week a dozen, etc.

Never install a pet door or leave your entry door open for the dog or the cat unless you don't mind seeing an occasional wild critter exploring your kitchen. Best to deal with the rabid fox (another urban myth) outside the house, rather than inside as the shotgun really will ruin the carpet and the blood will go everywhere.

While there is some overlap, Hog snakes have a different geographical distribution across the US from the Copperhead. Mother Nature evolved the Hog snakes pattern as a 'looks like' defense for a totally defenseless snake. There are however visual indicators that allow a savy human to tell them apart at a glance. I personally find the Eastern rattlesnake to be much more aggressive than the Copperhead. I have have yet to experience a Copperhead acting aggressively to me and have captured and thrown back into the woods at least a dozen of them in the past decade. Poking a Black snake or a Garter snake with your finger, or stamping your foot near them, is usually sufficient to make them run away. Their teeth are so small their bite is a non issue roughly equivalent to catching your finger in a small stapler. A small ouch, but by then you are holding them by the back of the head and wondering where to put him/her.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 AM

105 posts, read 245,714 times
P-Willy county!!

Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 AM

2,538 posts, read 5,117,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
P-Willy county!!
We changed... now we're P.Diddy County

Old 08-25-2008, 03:46 PM

1,168 posts, read 3,672,573 times
You're lucky you had a black snake. While looking out the front door last night, I saw this thing go across the walkway. First reaction was that's a mighty big slug. LOL Soon I was pointing and screaming, "SNAKE!" Hubby couldn't figure out why I wanted him to come look at and/or take care of the snake in the front yard. By the time he eventually made it downstairs, the snake had left our yard and crossed the street. I kept hoping a car would run over it. Turns out it was a cottonmouth snake. There will be no more watering the lawn in the dark for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia