U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:55 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,347,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan28 View Post
I couldn't help but chime in on this conversation about snakes! We live in Ashburn Farm and I encountered the first snake skin (maybe 4 ft long) in my basement. I never saw that snake but we also found a dead tiny snake in the garage. I WAS TERRIFIED SPEECHLESS! My DH on the otherhand could have cared less. One sighting was enough for me.

A few months ago I called Animal Control and they pretty much dismissed my concern as "a garden variety snake". I called a pest control company and they came out to not only inspect our home from rooftop to basement but they sealed all cracks/openings around the perimeter of the house and inside the garage. They also took some unhatched snake eggs and old skins (ewww!). We hadn't seen evidence of a snake in months, but then last week my DH killed a tiny one in the backyard near the deck and I found a 3-4 ft long snake skin in the shrubs near the front door yesterday. We bought some electronic pest control plugins to rid the food source (whatever it may be).
Wow you don't need to go shopping, there's tons of good meat right at your door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,115 times
I moved to spotsylvania country 5 months ago. not quite spring yet. what size holes are snake holes and waht can these smaller holes be from, squirrels maybe? the holes are 'less' than a quarter size. have lots of squirrels everywhere and live in a neighborhood subdivision.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:48 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,776,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyspirited View Post
I moved to spotsylvania country 5 months ago. not quite spring yet. what size holes are snake holes and waht can these smaller holes be from, squirrels maybe? the holes are 'less' than a quarter size. have lots of squirrels everywhere and live in a neighborhood subdivision.
Those sound like snake holes. Squirrels are a lot bigger than the diameter of a quarter.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,823 times
I have heard that black snakes will keep poisonious snake such as copperheads away is this false or true

Old 05-12-2010, 01:40 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,354,435 times
You all have me freaked out now. I realize this thread is old, but YUCK! I live in Ashburn Farm. We have a nice, big hole in our concrete stoop and I am scared to death to know what may be living in it. YUCK.

DId I say Yuck? If I see a snake I will have a heart attack. Seriosuly. Just the thought has me scared. Yuck!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:42 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,347,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperheads View Post
I have heard that black snakes will keep poisonious snake such as copperheads away is this false or true
we have all kinds of snakes in our backyard this year. We think it's the supply of field mice that's keeping them coming back for the free food. We also had a couple coming into the garage and into my wife's car. She had left her window open in the car, with some stale lunch, and the snakes were nibbling at it. I had found a black snake under the seat in her car one time too. People dont realize when they come to Nova there's a lot of snakes here. There's a A LOT OF SNAKES IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA

Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,137,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperheads View Post
I have always heard this too, we had black snakes in TX and supposedly they kept the rattlesnakes away.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,118,355 times
Snakes eat mice and rats. That's good enough for me!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:10 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
You all have me freaked out now. I realize this thread is old, but YUCK! I live in Ashburn Farm. We have a nice, big hole in our concrete stoop and I am scared to death to know what may be living in it. YUCK.

DId I say Yuck? If I see a snake I will have a heart attack. Seriosuly. Just the thought has me scared. Yuck!
I've seen sooo many snakes this year (more than the three previous years combined!). We take a lot of walks on the Ashburn Farm trails and the snakes are there, if you keep looking for them. We even got to see one of these (http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/reptiles/snakes/northern-scarletsnake/sp_scarletsnake004.jpg - broken link). Gag. But mostly we've seen black snakes that can grow to be HUGE. I wonder where all the rabbits are though, haven't seen any this year and there used to be tons..

We were at Trailside playground this spring and all these kids were playing by the little stream and there were TONS of baby snakes wiggling around. This one little brat caught one and put it in a clear container. I was leaving the playground and my son had fit (didn't want to leave). So while he was laying on the ground and I was trying to pick him up, the little kid runs to me, puts the container on my face and says very proudly "look lady! I found this!". Yeah, I was really, really happy..

Old 05-13-2010, 06:11 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
We also had a couple coming into the garage and into my wife's car. She had left her window open in the car, with some stale lunch, and the snakes were nibbling at it.
UGH! How did your wife react?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia