U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:38 PM

2,544 posts, read 5,176,026 times

Advertisements

I got a black snake living under a concrete pad in my backyard. I was out there with the mower yesterday and the darn thing came out and was easily 2 feet long. I have spotted field mice in the backyard and wondering if I should leave the snake alone. Also there are some neighborhood cats walking back there.

Should I just leave the snake alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 02:42 PM

2,439 posts, read 6,014,193 times
Leave the snake alone. It's most likely a harmless black rat snake -- they can grow to substantial and scary lengths. We've found them in various places in our yard, including one 5-footer slithering in the ground cover in the backyard.
So long as it's not coming in the house, no worries.
(If it comes in the house, call an exterminator....)

Old 04-25-2008, 05:35 PM

423 posts, read 624,360 times
My family had a problem with several poisionous snakes (rattlesnakes, moccasins and copperheads) on our property. A local farmer told us to get geese. They did get rid of the snakes. And acted as a burglar alarm. And supplied fresh eggs and Christmas dinner. However, now knowing geese as I do over several years, I'd rather just live with the snakes.

I second claremarie's opinion.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:23 PM

19,178 posts, read 20,146,956 times
I'll third that. Most of the area is heaven for mice. Unless the snake becomes some sort of problem on its own account (which is unlikely), I'd say let it be your 24/7 unpaid anti-gnawing-rodent sentry. There are a couple of websites that list and show at least reasonable pictures of what sort of snakes are around. If you got a decent look at it, you might be able to pick it out and then learn more about what it's like. Google "virginia snakes" and take a look...

Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 PM

64 posts, read 427,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I got a black snake living under a concrete pad in my backyard. I was out there with the mower yesterday and the darn thing came out and was easily 2 feet long. I have spotted field mice in the backyard and wondering if I should leave the snake alone. Also there are some neighborhood cats walking back there.

Should I just leave the snake alone?

Can I respectfully ask where you live please? I am terrified of snakes (even non-poisonous ones) and actually believed that they are not common in urban areas (at least near housing communities). Am I completely wrong?

Old 04-26-2008, 05:26 AM

west prince william county

Old 04-26-2008, 09:08 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,360,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoboo75 View Post
Can I respectfully ask where you live please? I am terrified of snakes (even non-poisonous ones) and actually believed that they are not common in urban areas (at least near housing communities). Am I completely wrong?
Had to jump on this. I am terrified as well, especially since we got a teeny tiny little harmless baby snake in our house a few months back -- which I almost picked up thinking it was a toy before the hissing started. Gag. The animal control people figured it came through the dryer vents and told us to put mesh over them to discourage snakes in the house. We live in Ashburn Farm which is very suburban. I've seen a few bigger ones out on the walking paths.. So yes, they can be common in housing communities.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:12 PM

549 posts, read 1,226,425 times
A simple solution to removing the snake is have the snake want to be somewhere else. Hence, put mice in your neighbors yard.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:52 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,515,661 times
My neighbor saw one Thursday near her garage in Kingstowne, swore it was 2-3 feet, of course she didn't hang around long enough to find out. Maybe it's the time of year when they are waking up and feeding???

Old 04-26-2008, 02:59 PM

I have a heavily wooded area in my backyard. There was mice living in those plastic things under my downspouts after i turned one over after mowing the grass. I would rather have the snake around keeping the mice population down right? My neighbor also said he has a box of .22 rounds that need to be used haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia