U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 11:10 AM

3,111 posts, read 2,552,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I've spent time in Bangkok working and yes, the trains run more frequently, but talk about a "COVID incubating Metro cattle car." Your words by the way. Metro is packed nowhere near as bad as what I experienced in Bangkok.
56 COVID deaths for 70 million people....certainly not as clean as DC or New Yawk, though..lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 02:58 PM

7,670 posts, read 13,326,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
56 COVID deaths for 70 million people....certainly not as clean as DC or New Yawk, though..lol.
You missed my point entirely so nice job.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:20 PM

1,459 posts, read 2,080,490 times
How long of a commute do you want? Public transportation? driving? What part of DC? What metro line is closest to your office?

Old 05-12-2020, 08:12 AM

943 posts, read 3,234,608 times
Man, I'm pushing my family to do the opposite. I want to get back to the beach in SoCal where I went to college! Were in nova, 4 kids, rely on train to get to DC for work. I use many of the trails, for recreation, but have to avoid the more travelled one with my kids because the volume of bikes and the speed they travel. Not kid friendly. Are you really gung ho on the move? Your family may not recover. I know I haven't. I miss the warm weather. Any nearby beach in this area sucks when compared to SoCal. Also, childcare costs in this area are really high. Wait lists are very, very common.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 814 times
Default Ashburn / OneLoudoun area great all around

We live in Stone Gate, a neighborhood in Ashburn, off Loudoun County Parkway . The best part is the WO&D bike trail runs right by our entrance. No need to load up bikes in the car, we just open the garage door, and we-are-on the trail, over 45 miles on either direction, all over beautiful and safe neighborhoods & landscape. You can bike to the town of Herndon or Purceville, stop at a Dairy Queen, or eat & shop in these beautiful small towns, all off the trail. Target could also be reach using the trail. Even the popular Carolina Brothers BBQ restaurants is located right on the trail.. The trail provide endless fun, in all seasons. Ashburn is almost crime free, (in 10 yrs I have never heard anything more than a cell phone stolen from an open car). Loudoun is the #1 Data Center Hub in the USA, with over 70% of all internet traffic going through one of these centers, and they make for great neighbors, they occupy large acreage, but are quiet, and there are no traffic jams, they pay huge taxes, the County loves the revenue, we all benefit. We love living in Ashburn, frankly I can only take the living in the outskirts, not into the congestion/traffic & frantic life style of anything any closer to DC. Best of luck!

Old 05-14-2020, 11:33 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,552,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2020 View Post
We live in Stone Gate, a neighborhood in Ashburn, off Loudoun County Parkway . The best part is the WO&D bike trail runs right by our entrance. No need to load up bikes in the car, we just open the garage door, and we-are-on the trail, over 45 miles on either direction, all over beautiful and safe neighborhoods & landscape. You can bike to the town of Herndon or Purceville, stop at a Dairy Queen, or eat & shop in these beautiful small towns, all off the trail. Target could also be reach using the trail. Even the popular Carolina Brothers BBQ restaurants is located right on the trail.. The trail provide endless fun, in all seasons. Ashburn is almost crime free, (in 10 yrs I have never heard anything more than a cell phone stolen from an open car). Loudoun is the #1 Data Center Hub in the USA, with over 70% of all internet traffic going through one of these centers, and they make for great neighbors, they occupy large acreage, but are quiet, and there are no traffic jams, they pay huge taxes, the County loves the revenue, we all benefit. We love living in Ashburn, frankly I can only take the living in the outskirts, not into the congestion/traffic & frantic life style of anything any closer to DC. Best of luck!
Fine for those working out there, but that is another Hellish commute downtown. DC has the C&O Canal trails and there are trails along the GW Parkway..Arlington, Old Town and beyond. Clifton would be a somewhat better commute..

Old 05-18-2020, 02:37 PM

195 posts, read 135,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Check out Potomac Shores in Dumfries. Also, check out the Montclair community in Dumfries. https://potomacshores.com/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...zpid/?mmlb=g,0
he said good public schools and access to the trail...... Woodbridge, Dumfries and triangle is not that. And they are playing with the lines again to exclude Gtown from the new middle school. Covington is not doing to swift score wise as well.. and it is brand new.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 2,594 times
This is why N.VA sucks. Everything is planned around traveling around the area.
But....there are jobs, parks and many positive things...I am just cranky about the traffic. It really sucks but then again maybe the traffic sucks where you are at currently.
This COVID break really makes you see how ****ty traffic is though....When you can drive somewhere that sometimes 1.50 hours in 40 minutes...you notice.

Last edited by ChrisPbass; 05-22-2020 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-23-2020, 02:08 PM

175 posts, read 92,952 times
We lived in NoVA for 2.5 years but moved due to a job relocation. I would add Centreville and/or Chantilly to your list. These are nice neighborhoods with great schools, parks and social amenities.
The big negative is that access to metro is bad. However there is a park and ride in Chantilly for the Express bus, which used to be about $8 each way (which is cheaper than the train). Also the PnR has free parking while the Metro Train stations charge for parking.

Also, Chantilly And Centreville have pretty good schools and relatively diverse if that is something important to you.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:36 PM

190 posts, read 820,128 times
From what you are describing Reston or Vienna are likely to be your best bets. Close to Metro, close to bike trails, good schools. Reston has the added plus of having over 50 miles of trails, much of it in park like settings. There is also the Reston Town Center which is like a Disneyfied version of a mini city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia