Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 05:42 PM

44 posts, read 185,255 times

Advertisements

Are sump pumps required in new construction in most counties? Are they there for piece of mind or would they turn off a buyer? Need some insight not too familiar with houses that have basements with them inside....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 06:30 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
I don't think they are required anywhere. Basically, they are a sign that a builder is doing his job properly. A good deal of NoVa -- and moreso as you get within several miles of the Potomac -- has substantial deposits of marine clays in the subsoil. These have been there for millions of years, and they expand and contract like a sponge when moisture is present and isn't. When it rains, they swell up and put pressure on the foundation walls. As they dry out, they shrink, which allows particulate from the strata above to fall into the newly created gaps. That stuff just acts like a wedge the next time it rains and the clays swell again, and then the whole process is simply repeated over and over and over again. Over the years, the most carefully constructed foundation walls that sit in any decent percentage of marine clays are going to develop patterns of tiny cracks through which our good friend water is eventually going to seep. Builders who put in a sump pump up front (and a great many do) are simply recognizing the effect and saving you the cost and hassle of having to do a retrofit some years down the road. They should be taken as a plus, not a minus...

Old 05-05-2008, 06:48 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
I would also recommend that you get a battery back-up for your sump pump, especially if the basement is finished.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:54 PM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times
I agree that you should have a sump pump in your basement, and it's very normal.

It's true that there's a lot of clay in the soil in Virginia, but I would think that a good builder shouldn't be using it as backfill around the foundation of the house. But maybe that's just me.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Even if you truck it in, you can't really control the content of backfill, and most builders will just use what they've already dug up. If there were marine clays in that, right back in they go. It really isn't so much of a problem as it is a condition...something that a quality builder will have taken into account. Even in areas where you're not in a marine clay situation, the presence of hardpan can produce underground creeks and rivulets that can cause erosion of and place fairly significant levels of hydrostatic pressure on foundation walls. Again, a sump pump will eventually save the day. NoVa also has bazillions of termites. Many, but not all, builders will go ahead and lay termite guards into the last course of the foundation walls on this account. Again these are a plus, not a minus. With or without guards, btw, an annual termite inspection is always a good idea in these parts. Skip a year here and there maybe, but don't let it go too long...

Old 05-06-2008, 05:45 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Sump pumps are normal every place. I have had them in PA, NJ as well as VA.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:54 AM

449 posts, read 1,393,428 times
I agree sump pumps are becoming more accepted as a part of a house. In the Kansas City area they are very common, and in fact, are required for any new home built in Overland Park, Kansas. Like in the areas listed in earlier posts, the K.C. area has lots of hard clay soil that expands and contracts, especially during periods of extreme drought, which is very common in that area during July and August. To help during these periods, people there will water their foundations about five feet away from their homes to help keep the fill around the foundations moist to minimize this expansion and contraction. And, when it does rain there it comes down in buckets; not unusual for the area to get 3 or 4 inches of rain in a 12 to 24 hour period. Basements that constantly flood are very common there.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:34 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Most homes built after 1995 will have them. And yes, they will run esp during strong thumderstorms. Some neighobrhoods more than others. Our's in Leesburg ran whenever we had real heavy rains...and I was glad we had a finished basement. Our neighobrs ran more frequently than ours...lot was lower.

Also test it before you buy...esp if the basement is "newly" refinished....new carpet etc...(If it's not raining it might not work properly etc...)
Run a hose by the foundation for awhile...and the pump will start pumping out the excess water. (I left a sprikler on one day,totally forgot it...sunny day and heard my sump pump going!! I know my neighbors thought I was nuts!!)

also the passive radon mitigation system is now in place by builders. It's ALOT easier to just add the fan to pipes in the attic than to bust up the foundation to put them in etc... It cost virtually nothing to the bulider during the building process to add the PVC pipes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia