Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:54 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,887 times

Advertisements

Skyline area is still shady.

And area behind that giant across the street is pretty much ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 01:56 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Quote:
There is a large Muslim center in Sterling, in Loudoun County. It is the All Dulles Area Muslim Society. Web address is All Dulles Area Muslim Society - ADAMS. You will find info about the area and help in finding jobs. Loudoun county is very diverse, you will find Halal groceries here and a large Asian community. Welcome to Northern Virginia.
I was going to post the same thing. The muslim center in sterling is brand new and right off of rt 7.

But, I too think you may wnat to have atleast 1 job in the bag before uprooting the family etc... NOVA is expensive.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:22 PM

111 posts, read 542,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMuslimah View Post
We are moving on the first of may to Virginia from Miami. I would like to move to northern Virginia to be in the middle of a big Muslim community but have found that it is extremely expensive and neither me nor my husband have a job lined up yes!...I know you probably think that we are crazy !! but the situation in Miami has become unbearable and there are other personal family problems that we want to get away from here in Florida and too add to that there is too much prejudice here against Muslims. We have 2 girls ages 9 and 11 and an 8 month old baby. My field is in administrative services and have a flair for advertising and marketing and have a passion for media ...I guess the perfect job would be one that puts all of that in a blender. My husband also has previous management experience in construction and various trade fields. Can anyone help with a job or suggest an affordable area too live in ,schools exc.
Salam alaikum, sister. Our family moved to Fairfax last August from SC due to me going to graduate school here. I also have a daughter she is 11 too. Me and my husband were in the same situation as you. We moved here without having jobs lined up, but it all worked out alhumduilah! I did not really worry about finding a job here because I have 2 bachelor degrees and my husband was experienced in retail management. So, now I am working for the school system in Fairfax, its website is FCPS Home Page Redirect Page if you want to look online for a job yourself. One question for you...what kind of education do you have? If you have at least a bachelor degree you will be fine here, and I think you could move and then find a job, many times that is the easier way to finding a job.
Good luck to you and your family

Old 04-29-2008, 07:20 AM

352 posts, read 1,592,060 times
Another good resource is Muslim Association of Virginia (http://daralnoor.org/main.php?p=home - broken link), particularly in Prince William County. ADAMS is more or less the accepted first resource for Muslims in Northern Virginia, so I second that recommendation as well.

Salam alaykum, and welcome to Northern Virginia!

Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM

22 posts, read 46,359 times
Red face Help 4 Muslim Family

Sallam,
Well we are here !!!on a previous post I posted that I was moving to the Northern Va area and needed help . We are finally here and very happy to have gotten OUT OF MIAMI! In the meantime we are being housed by a member of the dal hijrar mosque that had an available place but it is only untill the 15th of this month so we are still in dire need of housing and for jobs. Our max budget is $1150.00 for rent for 2bdr+ preferably a townhouse Inshallah and we would like to stay as close to Alexandria as possible. As for my husband this is a link to his resume ...Please help !!!! Assistant Manager / Supervisor / Fluent in English-Arabic-Spanish - miami job wanted/resume - backpage.com

Old 05-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMuslimah View Post
Sallam,
Well we are here !!!on a previous post I posted that I was moving to the Northern Va area and needed help . We are finally here and very happy to have gotten OUT OF MIAMI! In the meantime we are being housed by a member of the dal hijrar mosque that had an available place but it is only untill the 15th of this month so we are still in dire need of housing and for jobs. Our max budget is $1150.00 for rent for 2bdr+ preferably a townhouse Inshallah and we would like to stay as close to Alexandria as possible. As for my husband this is a link to his resume ...Please help !!!! Assistant Manager / Supervisor / Fluent in English-Arabic-Spanish - miami job wanted/resume - backpage.com
Your budget does constrain you, it's more expensive to rent here than it is in Miami. I'd look in Alexandria (in Fairfax County, not Alexandria City - there are two jurisidictions and Alexandria City is substantially more expensive than Alexandria in Fairfax County) in zip codes like 22303, 22304, 22306, 22307, 22310, 22312, 22315, 22309. Just be cautious about parts of 22309 and 22312 as there is significant gang activity in some of the garden-style rental communities. (Woodlawn Gardens comes to mind).

You may also be able to find a deal in Springfield (zip 22151, 22150, 22152, 22153) or Annandale (zip 22003), which are both quite close to Alexandria.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:21 PM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Miami - I really doubt that you'll be able to find a townhouse anywhere in this area for $1150. You are probably looking at an apartment and it will be tough to find a good one in a good neighborhood on your budget. You are really going to have to look around to find something. Back when I used to rent, they required a security deposit and proof of pay before I could sign my one year lease.

I think you have an uphill battle ahead of you. Best of luck, though!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Miami - I really doubt that you'll be able to find a townhouse anywhere in this area for $1150. You are probably looking at an apartment and it will be tough to find a good one in a good neighborhood on your budget. You are really going to have to look around to find something. Back when I used to rent, they required a security deposit and proof of pay before I could sign my one year lease.

I think you have an uphill battle ahead of you. Best of luck, though!
That's a very good point - your spouse is really going to have to have a couple paycheck's worth of work before most (all?) rentals will rent to you. I'd check with the mosque to see what they might be able to arrange short-term while this happens.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 AM

22 posts, read 46,359 times
Talking Help for muslim Family in Northern ,Va Update on our move

My husband landed a job as a manager in an o.k company on Capitol heights,Md but we still need a place to stay and we need it by the 14th.I found afordable housing in Manassas but it is too far from work. i guess i need something right in the Va border like southern Alexandria but again my budget is still 1200 monthly .Everyone here has been so informative but please if you know of someone or something that we could rent out please let us know IMMEDIATLY. Thankyou.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times
Capitol Heights is in Prince George's County MD, parts of which can be nice, other parts especially those around the Beltway (where your husband is working) aren't so nice with horrible schools and very high crime rates. There is a considerable amount of diversity and good schools just up the Beltway in Montgomery County MD. Check into parts of Wheaton, Silver Spring and perhaps Takoma Park? I think you could find some places in your price range there although you will be more likely to find an apartment in your price range as opposed to a townhouse.

Parts of Alexandria and surrounding sections of Fairfax County are still an option however I don't know what the commute would be like to Capitol Heights, especially considering the Wilson Bridge and Telegraph Road construction that is scheduled to continue for the next several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia