U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,541 times

Advertisements

Please bring some more diversity to Ashburn!! And welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 03:37 PM

94 posts, read 449,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Please bring some more diversity to Ashburn!! And welcome!
Thanks for the warm welcome I fell much better now since I have spoke to some fellow Virginians I guess you have to find out for yourself instead of listening to others. See you in Virginia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 14,746 times
We live in Fredericksburg, VA (exit 136 on I-95). This is as far south as you would want to live form D.C. It is about 1 hour train ride on the VRE from Leeland station train Station which is right next to our subdivision-Leeland Station. It is about 1 hour and 15 min. commute by carpool to Arlington where my husband works. You can walk to the train station and Conway Elem. from our house. It is a great subdivision, lots of diversity. People from everywhere. I mean everywhere. They are nice families with children of all ages. But, everyone gets along-they socialize. We have a women's book-club in the neighborhood. Houses are nice, 3 levels mostly, newly built, clubhouse, pools, playgrounds, kids play outside alot. walking trails, amphitheater. We are trying to move back to the south-Savannah, Ga. My husband and I are southerners and we are military. All of our neighbors love it here. There is lots of shopping, and activities for the kids. Mary Washington University is here with lots of activities not to mention George Washington's boyhood farm and his mother and sister's houses. Fredericksburg has lots of historical events that they celebrate and downtown is very nice. I ahve 4 kids and 3 of them are in public school. The oldest is at Drew Middle. Drew is the best kept secret here for public middle schools. It is very small. Only 130 kids in her 6th grade. Conway El. has been great so far for the past 3 years we have been here. I have a 2 year old that goes to Preschool close by and they have after school care there too. It is a great, brand new center. Conway also has after school and before school care at Conway thru the YMCA. I can give you more information if you'd like.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conmorave View Post
We live in Fredericksburg, VA (exit 136 on I-95). This is as far south as you would want to live form D.C. It is about 1 hour train ride on the VRE from Leeland station train Station which is right next to our subdivision-Leeland Station. It is about 1 hour and 15 min. commute by carpool to Arlington where my husband works. You can walk to the train station and Conway Elem. from our house. It is a great subdivision, lots of diversity. People from everywhere. I mean everywhere. They are nice families with children of all ages. But, everyone gets along-they socialize. We have a women's book-club in the neighborhood. Houses are nice, 3 levels mostly, newly built, clubhouse, pools, playgrounds, kids play outside alot. walking trails, amphitheater. We are trying to move back to the south-Savannah, Ga. My husband and I are southerners and we are military. All of our neighbors love it here. There is lots of shopping, and activities for the kids. Mary Washington University is here with lots of activities not to mention George Washington's boyhood farm and his mother and sister's houses. Fredericksburg has lots of historical events that they celebrate and downtown is very nice. I ahve 4 kids and 3 of them are in public school. The oldest is at Drew Middle. Drew is the best kept secret here for public middle schools. It is very small. Only 130 kids in her 6th grade. Conway El. has been great so far for the past 3 years we have been here. I have a 2 year old that goes to Preschool close by and they have after school care there too. It is a great, brand new center. Conway also has after school and before school care at Conway thru the YMCA. I can give you more information if you'd like.
Is it anything closer? What are the other areas that are a little more closer to D.C.. I have heard about Stafford, Bristow, Woodbridge off of 95 is that a little closer? It sounds like a nice place to live but Fredrickburg is a little to far from what I heard from D.C. I know you are probably excited to go back to Ga atleast the homes are cheaper there. Not much to do like D.C but you can get alot for you money? I'm excited to move to D.C. I heard so much about the Activities, Festivals, Shopping, Resturants, Etc, Etc. Thanks for your information

Old 05-01-2008, 08:36 AM

488 posts, read 1,583,017 times
How far away from DC do you want to live.

I would kill myself going on I-95 every day into the city.
Its nuts.

Unless your house is paid for, living there is a commute nightmare.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEIK View Post
How far away from DC do you want to live.

I would kill myself going on I-95 every day into the city.
Its nuts.

Unless your house is paid for, living there is a commute nightmare.

Maybe 30-40 min not a 1hr 1/2 that's crazy!!!!! what about Gainesville, Manassas, you said in your other post who wants to stay in Manassas do Manassas have alot of crime, gangs.etc and bristow I guess that's far too and stafford how far or those place? I guess we have to up or budget to 700k-800k to get a decent brick SFH. I knew D.C. would be most higher than Texas but I didn't think this much for what we are looking for. For example we are in a house now that we bought in Texas for 450k and it's beautiful all brick 4 bedrooms and a big back yard I knew we would have to pay atleast 200k more for something similar there but it looks like we can't with the house prices we might hit a 1M.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:23 AM

I dont get you...

You want a 30 minute commute to DC, live in Falls Church, Arlington or Alexandria.
I mean you have a budget of 800k for future house? Why are you looking into these crappy, low income areas???

You looking for are adventure or something?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:25 AM

Gainsville is far.

Bristow is far.

Stay closer to the BELTWAY.

I would not go past Asburn, and even that is pushing it.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:31 AM

280 posts, read 968,902 times
If you are working in Herndon and have a $700-800K budget, I'd be looking in: Herndon, Reston, Vienna, Cascades, Ashburn, South Riding and Aldie. You will get newer construction and a very nicely appointed home in the Loudoun areas (Cascades, Ashburn, South Riding, Aldie) and in the Fairfax areas still a nice home but a little older and it may need some work, maybe not in this market. It depends on how many sq ft you are looking for and the kind of lot. I wouldn't even consider anything outside those areas, there is really no need and you'd be too far away. All of these areas get you within 30 min of Herndon for a commute. We just moved to Aldie and my husband works in Reston and it is 30 min, not bad at all.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEIK View Post
I dont get you...

You want a 30 minute commute to DC, live in Falls Church, Arlington or Alexandria.
I mean you have a budget of 800k for future house? Why are you looking into these crappy, low income areas???

You looking for are adventure or something?
I have no idea about any of these area that's why I am trying to get more input on them. O.k. let's do this

Crappy area?

Decent Area?

Nice area?

Very nice area?

I need a better understanding this will do it.

by the way my job is enough adventure for me!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or