U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,860,194 times

Advertisements

There are no bad parts to Ashburn. Even Western Loudoun will have a little bit of lingering rural poverty, Leesburg has some iffy areas, and Sterling has more iffy areas as a percentage of the whole. But not Ashburn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 PM

414 posts, read 786,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
There are no bad parts to Ashburn. Even Western Loudoun will have a little bit of lingering rural poverty, Leesburg has some iffy areas, and Sterling has more iffy areas as a percentage of the whole. But not Ashburn.
So if an area has some income diversity and / or poor people its not as "nice"? Just wondering. Sounds like some people want to live in Stepford.

You could not pay me to live in faceless, soul-less, stepfordville ashburn. Yuck.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
So if an area has some income diversity and / or poor people its not as "nice"? Just wondering. Sounds like some people want to live in Stepford.
[Hushed voice:] I hear Stepford has some Irish. No thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 PM

467 posts, read 1,333,663 times
Belmont Country Club is in 20147. This comparison is silly.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,860,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post

You could not pay me to live in faceless, soul-less, stepfordville ashburn. Yuck.
Do those diverse or poor people constantly hit us up for money, have arguments that interrupt our sleep (some TH/duplex walls carry sound better than I thought), have rusting cars in their front yard that became a rats' nest, deal drugs across the street, live 12-15 to a house meant for 3-6, harass people for parking in a legal parking spot on a public street, and/or are rude to people outside their ethnicity?

If not, that's cool.

If so, then yeah, I've got a problem with that.

And hell, that was a *nice* poor neighborhood. No one broke into our car and no one pulled a knife out on us. Lots of cigarettes and beer cans in the gutters, though. I will say being bummed for money within 4 hours of moving in pretty much killed my Arlingtonian civic spirit. The other folks who we were at least friendly with all moved out. (FWIW, when I've shown people who know the area on Mapquest where I used to live, their reaction was almost unanimously, "You lived in the ****ing ghetto!")

I moved out of Vienna to Leesburg to Leesburg ES, which has 2x the FARMS and probably more ESL students than Vienna ES. If I wanted Stepford, I'd have stayed in Vienna or maybe moved to Landsdowne/Gainesville/Haymarket.

I moved to Vienna from South Arlington, where all this happened and more *just on my block.* So when people talk about diversity and poverty and imply I'm a racist/classist/a-hole because I say some areas aren't as nice as others ... I lived that life for six years.

I'm glad other folks were able to make a success of their Annandale/South Arlington/Alexandria West End/south Falls Church/Sterling Park/less fashionable neighborhood experience. I really am, and I wonder sometimes what I could have done to make my Parkway experience better (the little area tucked in between S Glebe/I-395/Four Mile Run). Maybe I just had a sucky group of neighbors, and had we picked the house in Nauck or Fort Barnard Heights, we'd have done better.

I love living near downtown Leesburg. But I'll take soulless Ashburn any day over the introductory ghetto that was my bit of South Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia