U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 PM

12 posts, read 40,349 times

Advertisements

My DH has a job in Falls Church, so we will be moving to the area.

We'd like to have no more than an hour commute, but need to keep rent to about $2000. We have kids.

Where should we look?

Alternately, where are the closest nice areas we could live for 2K a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 07:19 AM

36 posts, read 80,806 times
Exactly where in falls church? I used to commute from manassas to Falls church every day. I believe in leesburg pike there are a couple of apartments next to Skyline building. I used to see a lot of kids playing.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxybeast View Post
Exactly where in falls church? I used to commute from manassas to Falls church every day. I believe in leesburg pike there are a couple of apartments next to Skyline building. I used to see a lot of kids playing.
No idea yet. I'll know more next week.

I've been browsing these forums, and it looks like Manassas is not a desirable place to live? What did you think? How bad was that commute?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 AM

352 posts, read 1,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenarie View Post
No idea yet. I'll know more next week.

I've been browsing these forums, and it looks like Manassas is not a desirable place to live? What did you think? How bad was that commute?
Manassas can be a very desirable place to live, but the commute to Falls Church is a different story. If I already lived in Manassas and got a sweet job in Falls Church I'd take public transport and live with it, but there's no reason you have to invite that upon yourselves. It'd be well over an hour to drive to Falls Church from Manassas every day as a single passenger auto.

Try looking in Annandale zip 22003 in the neighborhoods which feed to Woodson HS, not Annandale HS. Other alternatives include Falls Church (zips 22042, 22041 and parts of 22043 in Fairfax County, Falls Church City 22046 is likely out of your price range) and Fairfax (zips 22031, 22030, 22032, 22033) both in Fairfax City and in Fairfax County.

(how old are your kids? and do you specifically want a rental single family home, townhome, apartment/condo, or does it not matter?)

Welcome, in advance, to Northern Virginia!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post

(how old are your kids? and do you specifically want a rental single family home, townhome, apartment/condo, or does it not matter?)

Welcome, in advance, to Northern Virginia!
Thank you! Those zip codes will be very helpful.

Ideally we'd like a single family home, but will take a townhome. Would rather not live in an apartment/condo. We have four children, ranging in age from 6-12. We homeschool, so we likely won't be sending the kids to the area schools ... but it's always desirable to be in a good school system, anyway.

Since we do homeschool, the kids are home far more often, obviously. We can live in a smaller space if we have to, but a bigger townhome or house with a yard would be better.

My husband is prepared for an hour commute, but we'd *really* like it to not go over that, if possible. So it's a balancing act - as with everyone else in the area, it seems!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 AM

593 posts, read 2,244,237 times
Why not just live in Falls Church? That will keep your commuting costs down, and your husband will get to spend more time with the family (& less time in traffic!).

You won't be able to rent a single-family house for $2,000 in FC (most likely), but you can find a decent 3 br apartment / townhouse for around that price.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
Why not just live in Falls Church? That will keep your commuting costs down, and your husband will get to spend more time with the family (& less time in traffic!).

You won't be able to rent a single-family house for $2,000 in FC (most likely), but you can find a decent 3 br apartment / townhouse for around that price.
I've been looking around on realty sites, and haven't been finding anything in that range that isn't just tiny. With four kids ... a three bedroom can work, if it's a pretty sizeable three-bedroom. I was getting the impression from the sites I was looking at that this was nearly out of the question. I'd love to just live in Falls Church, and keep down the commute. Can we do it? In a decent-sized place, and no more than $2000?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 AM

352 posts, read 1,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenarie View Post
I've been looking around on realty sites, and haven't been finding anything in that range that isn't just tiny. With four kids ... a three bedroom can work, if it's a pretty sizeable three-bedroom. I was getting the impression from the sites I was looking at that this was nearly out of the question. I'd love to just live in Falls Church, and keep down the commute. Can we do it? In a decent-sized place, and no more than $2000?
Ahh...there's a difference between "have kids" and "have FOUR kids."

Try Burke (zip 22015) and Annandale (zip 22003) primarily, and Springfield (zips 22152, 22151, 22153, 22150) as an option as well. Those are all pretty commuter friendly to Falls Church.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:11 PM

19 posts, read 66,642 times
Are you looking for a house to rent or an apt? You can find a decent house to rent for under $2500/$2400 in the area of Falls Church. You may have to go out pretty far to get $2000.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,343,172 times
A somewhat out of the way site that sometimes has rentals you don't find elsewhere is MilitaryByOwner.com. You don't have to be military to use the site, and sometimes you can discover a gem in there. You'd need to select a military base from the list. Fort Myer will work fine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or