U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 03:26 PM

15 posts, read 43,142 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I want people thoughts on us moving to Lovettsville. We are looking at this area... The prices are great! We are a young family with children who both are graduates...Both work for the government or county.

We want honest advice before we close... The home(s) are in the new build area.... New Town Meadows in Lovettsville.
'
Please get intouch ASAP

Thanks,
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 04:08 PM

94 posts, read 449,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebritain View Post
Hi there,

I want people thoughts on us moving to Lovettsville. We are looking at this area... The prices are great! We are a young family with children who both are graduates...Both work for the government or county.

We want honest advice before we close... The home(s) are in the new build area.... New Town Meadows in Lovettsville.
'
Please get intouch ASAP

Thanks,
We are also a young black professional family in the process of buying a home in the northern va area due to our government jobs. It would be nice to talk to someone in the same situation as us. You can email me if you like with you email so we can chat. Were are you guys moving from? were is lovettsville is it close to northern va fairfax area?

Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,660,119 times
First off...Great school give the elem. school a rating of a 5. not so good considering Loudoun county has very good schools.

IT is not a very diverse school. Leesburg ,Ashburn etc...are very diverse.
(your kids might be the only minority kids in thier classes...) IF that's important to you.
I guess for middle school they go into Hamilton and then go to Loudoun Valley for HS?? that's a long bus ride/or after school activites etc...

It kinda gets a bad rap from people in Leesburg, Luckettes, Purceville Hamilton etc... as being "hickville".

There isn't much there for entertainment etc...

Honestly, it's just not my favorite town in the area. IF i was moving back and didn't have to go into Fairfax county for work...I'd probably choose Purceville. (but the elem. school there is not diverse either)
But the town has alot of Personality while still remaining small, and it's close to Leesburg for mall shopping, Target etc... etc...

I would seriously look at a few more smaller towns around there that might be just an all around better town.

So I don't know if diversity is a big deal to you or not, I only mention it becuase you state that you are black.

Leesburg prices have really dropped and it is a very diverse town with very good schools etc....

FOR the other poster:
Quote:
were is lovettsville is it close to northern va fairfax area?
it's in NOVA but not close to Fairfax esp for a commute. It's up north across the Potomac from Point of Rock MD.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,368,216 times
The commute would probably stink unless you leave at 5am. There will be a town center next to New Town Meadows. Not a lot of restaurants etc. Before they get a grocery store you can shop at Purcerville and ummm.. that town up north where MARC is (sorry I can't remember the name). Also, you can always get to bigger stores in Leesburg on your way home if you commute to Herndon etc.

I personally LOVE Lovettsville and go there once a week to visit a friend. The drive is gorgeous, and Loudoun Valley is beautiful. We looked at the same development but neither of us is an early bird and hates long commutes. Also, the houses had tiny yards considering they're in the country. They're pretty though, I just wonder how much you can actually get for $300K, if its just the basic stuff or what. Someone here actually lives in those houses so he/she could tell us more.

It would be nice to see more diversity in Lovettsville. The people I've met there seem friendly, everyone says hi and smiles. Every time I go there I leave thinking we should move there. But then I see the traffic and decide to stay here.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 PM

15 posts, read 43,142 times
PLEASE GIVE MORE THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS!!

I am so happy with the feedvback!

I defnitely research and visit the Town several times before we decide....

Old 05-13-2008, 02:02 PM

14 posts, read 49,213 times
I too live in New Town Meadows. I responded yesterday but don't see my post. The MARC train is very convenient, just across the river into Brunswick, MD, but all in all, I don't like the area. Not enough to do, too far to drive to most places, taxes are higher in this community because it is located within the Town limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebritain View Post
PLEASE GIVE MORE THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS!!

I am so happy with the feedvback!

I defnitely research and visit the Town several times before we decide....

Old 11-17-2008, 11:47 AM

32 posts, read 71,744 times
Talking The Value of Lovettsville

We were subjected to those small-town taxes while living in Purcellville for the last 1.5 years. We now live just outside the town of Lovettsville. I know you are looking "in-town", but thought you might like some thoughts of living outside of town. Well & Septic means no water bills, no small-town taxes, a little-bit more earth to call your own (means you have the advantage of growing a garden and lowering your grocery bill).

My husband travels to Tysons Corner every day. We figured if we were living out away from NoVa and traveling to get AWAY from NoVa, we didn't want to live directly in town. We wanted to live away from all that chaos. We've found our 3 acre haven with mountain views in EVERY direction. Our neighbors all have 3-10 acres so the kids still have friends in walking distance--we aren't isolated, but we aren't on top of one another--I DON'T want to be able to know what my neighbors are having for dinner just because I can SEE my neighbors dinner table from my kitchen window.

We ended up with the same size house that we had in Richmond, VA and we paid the same as what we sold our home for in Richmond 2 years ago (and we sold at the highest point in the market)--so we think we got a good value: same size house, same price as our selling price during the high market, but we also got 2.5+ more acres, an in-ground pool and FANTASTIC mountain views--have I mentioned the gorgeous views here???

We may not be a diverse town--but what exactly is that supposed to mean? Are you putting value in a town based on the COLOR & RACE of the residents (hmmm--I think that may be called racism ) A town will not become "diverse" until people of all likes value the town for what it is--because then people of all likes will want to move there. So--let's look at what you should really value Lovettsville for, shall we?

*The current nearest grocer is in Brunswick, MD just 4 miles away--or you could shop Frederick, MD where they have every store imaginable (YES, this is a good thing--NO FOOD TAX on your groceries). If this is too far for you to travel, you can put your hopes in the planned grocer in the town "squircle"--you know, that square traffic circle in the middle of town.
*The people are genuine and happy to help their neighbors (this is "small town America", people!)
*We have an incredible 3rd of July celebration--and since it is a small town, more than likely your kids will be IN the parade because they participate in SOME sort of town activity or club. (And yes it is on the 3rd, not the 4th)
*We embrace our German roots with an Annual Octoberfest
*You will get to know the lady at the post office and the librarians pretty quickly--as well as any of the other businesses you will frequent--small town
*We've got an awesome swim team--GO Dolphins!
*You can see a bazillion stars out here--we aren't lit up like Purcellville and the rest of NoVa.
*You can swing on your porch swing and listen to cows, horses and crickets--and nothing else!
*You'll quit using your front door--all your friends and neighbors know you well and will use your side door (And we've only lived here for 3 months).
*Your neighbors may let your children ride their horses (ours do)
*You can spend an afternoon just in your small acreage of yard and still see a snapping turtle, a red fox, a buck deer...and then wander up the road to see wild turkeys cross in front of you.
*don't want to fuss with a garden--walk to the farmers market and buy fresh and local--or you might be friends with someone who has too many tomatoes to eat, so he'll be stopping by your house with a bag for you--and no, he doesn't want payment.
*life slows down here and things that were "important" in the city become unimportant--we've lessened our shopping and material desires and we're just enjoying God's goodness in all of His creation. And no, we aren't bored out here--there is too much to discover and enjoy--now, I have to take my children on a nature walk--we saw an Osage Orange tree and have to go check out those "Hedge Apples". Folklore says they keep bugs away (I sense a homeschool science experiment). We also need to check out the 2 inch thorns on those babies--those trees used to be used as hedges around fields before barbwire was invented in the 1880's...oh--but I've digressed...

Old 11-17-2008, 02:08 PM

2,094 posts, read 5,869,272 times
lovettsville is a nice city, albeit a little far away from nova and dc metro. The commute would be a hassle considering the traffic. Very good cities and nice city, but it is mainly white, but being it nova and DC, being black is no concern! If your heart tells ya to move, go for it!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,368,216 times
^^ I really like your description of Lovettsville! We ended up not buying there (or anywhere else, for that matter) but I visit there every week or so. So it's called a "squircle", thats too funny. It drives me nuts but will probably serve its purpose when the town center goes up. I know what you mean by gorgeous mountain views, they are amazing! Western Loudoun County is really my favorite place in this area..

Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 AM

32 posts, read 71,744 times
Default Lovettsville Squircle

Yeah--the townies have given it that name and it has stuck. It is definitely appropriate and one of the weirdest things I've ever seen, traffic wise. It was really confusing the first couple times, but I must be becoming a local, as it is starting to make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia