U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:00 PM

60 posts, read 322,739 times

Advertisements

thomast23~ The commute in and around the Tysons/McLean area can be *brutal* during rush hour. During your house hunt, I suggest adding 20-40 minutes to what google maps, mapquest, etc say it takes to get from point A-B. I'd say 20 minutes alone for Tysons/McLean (hmm...wonder if metro will ever get expanded).

Also, the areas surrounding Dulles Airport are mostly far enough away, that it's not too bad. Yea, the planes can be loud sometimes when the weather isn't that great and they fly low, but I think it's actually worse about 20-30min away because that's when the planes *really* start taking flight.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:29 AM

240 posts, read 172,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Welcome to the neighborhood Let me know if you have any questions since I live there too. What model did you choose? Btw it's Morris Farm (not plural)
Thanks Heather,

OK, my mistake about it not being plural. Then again I keep referring to Brookfield as Brookfields (guess I have a plural problem)! We just signed a contract for a lot on Flicker Court (at the top of it with trees on the left and behind us, so only a direct neighbor to the right of house). We are going with the Yardley model - the 4 bedroom version of it.

As we just signed the contract and got the loan approved last week - the house won't be ready until late October at the earliest, but possibly not until November. I guess we'll have a better estimate as things move along. Our lot is kind of one behind the very next set of lots available to be built that will be ready sometime in late September.

Anyway got a good deal - Brookfields is offering all kinds of incentives - 50% off all options/upgrades, as well as paying entire closing costs (excluding the downpayment on the loan). We also got them to come down some more on the price of the house, even in addition to all of that. It is definitely a buyer's market right now.

Didn't look at Craftmark's houses as they were kind of out of the price range - other than maybe for their cheapest model I guess. Supposedly those are starting in the "low 400's" whatever that means. Anyway, the Yardley model is more than big enough for us. It is bigger than what I was looking for - mostly was just looking to get out of where I am now which is a townhouse built in 1985 within the Manassas city limits - and started looking at townhouses elsewhere. But my wife felt there was no point in us moving unless we got a single family home. That's when I discovered Brookfield and Morris Farm about a month ago we started looking there.

I know they just fixed up their website with the new prices for the models - 2 weeks ago they were still $20K to $30K higher than what they are now.

Anyway, really looking forward to moving to Morris Farm - we've walked around the neighborhood a lot in the past few weeks and really like what we see.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 AM

Heather,

Actually, here's a question for you. My understanding is Comcast cable/internet is bundled into the HOA fee of $152/month. I am guessing that is basic cable service and whatever their lowest level internet service is? From what Brookfield gave us in a somewhat old (2005) HOA budget book - it appeared then the Comcast portion of the fee was $68.11/month.

I'm just curious - I'm no fan of Comcast but will have to live with them I guess. I got rid of Comcast 5 years ago in Manassas and switched to satellite TV, after all kinds of problems with their service. And that's only the TV service. I never had their internet but know friends who have, and I'm a lot happier with Verizon (in fact we just got FIOS in Manassas and I switched to that from DSL back in February).

Unfortunately, with both DirecTV and Verizon, I'm going to be paying penalties to get out of 2 year commitments I made with them (before I realized we would be moving).

Anyway, just curious what you can tell me about Comcast being bundled in to the HOA fee. I rather wish it wasn't, but realize there's not much I can do about it. If it really is just for the basic cable and then their internet service, I may stick with DirecTV and just use it for the internet, even though I'll be paying a rather large amount for it (in my opinion) as part of the HOA fee.

The bundling of Comcast into the HOA fee was the one sort of "negative" I found about moving to Morris Farm - to be honest!

Thanks!

Fred

Old 05-29-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_s View Post
thomast23~ The commute in and around the Tysons/McLean area can be *brutal* during rush hour. During your house hunt, I suggest adding 20-40 minutes to what google maps, mapquest, etc say it takes to get from point A-B. I'd say 20 minutes alone for Tysons/McLean (hmm...wonder if metro will ever get expanded).

Also, the areas surrounding Dulles Airport are mostly far enough away, that it's not too bad. Yea, the planes can be loud sometimes when the weather isn't that great and they fly low, but I think it's actually worse about 20-30min away because that's when the planes *really* start taking flight.

Hope this helps.
Agree about commutes. Right now I live just barely in the city limits of Manassas, and have a 19 mile commute each way to work in Reston. Mapquest claims my current commute would only take 25 minutes (on a weekend that is indeed possible, on a weekday definitely NOT!).

To avoid traffic, I leave the house at 6 AM and that gets me to work usually around 6:35 AM. I try to leave work no later than 4 PM, and if I can really work an 8 hour day (not usually) I leave around 3:15 PM or so. It usually takes me 45 minutes on the way home that time of day - and 4 PM it can be more like 50 minutes. Later than that, you could easily be pushing an hour. In the morning I don't know - I always leave at 6 AM and never any later, but am sure my 35 minutes in the morning would easily stretch to 45-50 minutes if I left 7 AM or later.

It is a bit rough - let's just put it that way. I may be crazy in lengthening my commute to 25 miles each way from Morris Farm - although it is more of a straight shot down the highway than where I am now - so I think it may only make 5 minutes more difference which isn't too bad.

I was looking in the Aldie or Ashburn area which would have been closer to work - but for the same price (or just a little bit more) for a townhouse with 2 car garage, in Morris Farm we ended up getting a very large size house. I'm sure the same house would have been $25K or $50K more in those areas. You pay for convenience in terms of being close to major work centers in Northern Virginia.

As far as airport noise - I have a brother who lives in Chantilly but off the side of Rt. 50 to the West of Rt. 28 - and really just about 4 miles east of Aldie as he is in Loudon County just over the line from Fairfax County. The airport noise doesn't seem too bad at his house. But prices there are much higher than out in Gainesville, that's for sure.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 PM

1,261 posts, read 5,046,535 times
Sent you a direct message fdeitz

Old 07-25-2008, 04:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,717 times
Fdeitz,

Myself and my significant other will be first time home buyers. We currently rent a SFH on Redstart (Ryan home). We found out our landlord has the house up for sale; currently $350K. He owes $610, so it's a short sale. Being new to the home buying process, what tactic did you use to get them to come down additionally on the price? I need all the help I can get as I would like to be your neighbor, lot 232, the left side of the Kingbird circle. I have heard the assessments on 1/1/09 will see the homes dropping another 5-10%. I understand and willing to pay a premium to pick every single option, but not the premium they're asking. Brookfield sales person is offering us the same deal as you, 50% off all options, all closing costs, and when I spoke with TMG, I discovered with us being first timers and using a FHA loan, they are wanting to grandfather us into a DPAP and pay the 3% down. Leaving it completely our choice if we put additional money down or try to completely furnish a Waverly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia