Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 05:12 PM

155 posts, read 131,799 times

Advertisements

Just looking to move but feel having someone to help might be best? Any ideas? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:24 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,966 times
Have you decided on an area in Virginia that would suit you? You have posted in the Northern Virginia forum which covers the most expensive areas in Virginia. An agent in this area would probably not work in the Richmond area or the Charlottesville area or the Roanoke area, etc. I would suggest looking for rentals in Homes for Sale and Rent in DC, Maryland, Virginia | MRIShomes.com in the Northern Virginia area or realtor.com for the rest of Va. Once you have decided on an area that would be good for you, then you would want to find an agent that is familiar with that area.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:05 AM

155 posts, read 131,799 times
Hi,
I currently live in Fairfax near Vienna station and am looking to move closer towards the orange line but doesn't have to be right next to it.
My current commute is:

M-W :
1hr to New Carrollton station driving and bit more taking the metro. Currently doing more driving..
Th: metro to Rosslyn
F: mostly home or Rosslyn

I would like the new place to be ~20 minutes to Eisenhower Avenue in Alexandria because I frequent there almost everyday. Obviously closer to driving to New Carrollton station.
In terms of price... well I currently pay 1250 for 1bed/bath util included.... I prefer the place not to be too woody as my current place sometimes gets bugs inside..

Old 06-17-2015, 06:40 PM

274 posts, read 348,536 times
Ok I did a quick search of the MLS to see what options are out there. For a studio or 1 bedroom $1250 or under within 2 miles of Eisenhower Ave so near Van Dorn station there are 11 condo's available. A few at Brookdale at Mark Center, A few at Hillwood and Stoneridge, and then a few at Meadowcreek. A lot of these do not include utilities either.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:28 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
who pays the realtor fee down there? Owner or renter?

Old 06-18-2015, 07:35 AM

In most circumstances the owner pays the Realtor fees.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 3,690 times
a bit off topic, but generally, what kind of a credit score would you need to rent a condo/townhouse/etc. in the area? is the process any different from renting through an apartment complex?

i'm in the process of rebuilding my credit but still have quite ways to go to reach my target goal. i'm currently at around mid 600s. i'll be renting with my spouse whose score is high 700s/low 800s. our income should not be an issue (~$225k+).

i read somewhere that apartment complexes are generally more lenient about credit checks and therefore, it'll be easier to get approved. but some of the apartments we've looked at were a bit small and so, we were wondering whether renting a townhouse/condo would be an option for us.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:36 PM

You would be totally fine to rent. You can purchase a home with a credit score of 620 and higher. So renting should be no problem especially if you provide a letter of explanation and your spouses credit score being so great. I have helped people rent town homes with a credit score in the low 500s.

Can I ask why you are not considering purchasing a home instead of renting? With your combined income and interest rates so low, you can potentially purchase for less then rental payments.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:29 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Posting realtor recommendations constitutes advertising which is against the Terms of Service. Members not involved in the real estate industry can feel free to Direct Message the OP with your suggestions.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:39 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
I thought about using an agent, and at this point, I wouldn't bother. I've contacted three property owners along the Orange Line and they're jumping all over themselves to get me in for appointments. Pick the properties you want, send them emails, and may the best landlord with the best property win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia