Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:11 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times

Advertisements

A little bit of background, I was born and raised in Central NY (small townish middle class), lived in southern NH, Buffalo NY, and am now living in NoVA.

I think people here definitely tend to be more affluent. However, since I'm young (22) I've obviously made friends with the younger crowd. My friends are just getting started, and a few are doing quite well for themselves (pharmacists, IT, engineers, etc). They all seem to have the innocence of youth, however they're extremely obsessed with material things a bit more than my friends from back home. For example cars, clothes, big houses, etc. I'm not really into it, but that just seems to be how people are here.

Also, my co-workers are workaholics. Like 70-80 hour weeks sometimes. With families. I just don't understand. I mean I understand, but one of my co-workers said he literally doesn't know what he would do with all of his "free" time if he worked a normal 40-50 hour week.

FYI, I average about 50. Not lazy or crazy by any means, but I sure as hell can find things to enjoy myself. I'm not the type of person who wants to live to work.

Everyone here also seems to be in a big hurry. But oh well, I got my friends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StCharlesSchool View Post
I dont know, I dont think it is snobby down here in NOVA (I am from CT), I just think "some" people are rude in the whole DC area. People rarely let you in when you have your blinker on to move lanes, people cut in line at the supermarket. I noticed that it is worse here than in the Northeast. It is true that maybe the Northeast is not as overly friendly as the south, but I miss the manners and traffic etiquette from the North.
I just have to follow up on this post.

Today I was riding (not driving) on Route 1 in Massachusetts (by Gillette Stadium) where there was a great deal of traffic before the gates opened at 1:30 pm - evidently there was a "Billy Bob and the Country Bunkins" type concert starting at 4:30 pm today. There were MANY state troopers out in the traffic, with three lanes of traffic merging into two, and then finally diverted into a whole series of different directions. Someone was driving a pick-up truck (complete with Confederate flags waving out the back) and they decided to create their own lane in between two marked lanes. So a whole row of traffic (at least 10 vehicles!) followed Flag-Waving-Pick-Up-Truck, and then they all "blocked the box" at the traffic light. The state troopers stood there and tried to move the traffic out of the way and -- wait for it -- an ambulance is now trying to get through. Did anyone do ANYTHING? Nope. The staties couldn't send anyone anywhere as the Important People had jammed up everything. It took the ambulance at least 10 minutes to make 20 vehicles worth of forward progress.

It made me long for the after-concert traffic at Wolf Trap.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Yes, I could see people in NoVa as being snobs. There's the Tyson's Corner and McLean mystique. I have an aunt who lives inside the Beltway in NoVa and she is far and away the most despicable of all our relatives in the U.S., and she plays up the NoVa highbrow B.S., though she was once a poor IMMIGRANT.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,188 times
I moved to Nova 9 years ago from S. Florida and was raised in north Texas, the people here , for the most part seem to keep to their circle of friends and are not interested in adding to the circle. I'm moving back to S. Florida this year and am looking forward to it. I will give you an example of a strange person I encountered in the Wal mart parking lot her in Fairfax city Virginia. I was moving my buggy back to the buggy enclose and this rude woman told me that I was doing it wrong and was very insulting. She went as far as to ask me what I was even doing here in the first place. I later thought I should have told her to ask my parent that because it sounded like she was questioning my existence. LOL I just thought she came off as a bitter unhappy know it all . I don't think you would find people in S. Florida or Texas behaving this way, so yes the people here seem to think they are very important.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:50 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow101 4 View Post
I will give you an example of a strange person I encountered in the Wal mart parking lot her in Fairfax city Virginia. I was moving my buggy back to the buggy enclose and this rude woman told me that I was doing it wrong and was very insulting. She went as far as to ask me what I was even doing here in the first place. I later thought I should have told her to ask my parent that because it sounded like she was questioning my existence. LOL I just thought she came off as a bitter unhappy know it all . I don't think you would find people in S. Florida or Texas behaving this way, so yes the people here seem to think they are very important.
I was once visiting Florida to attend an auto race at Sebring. As I walked around the spectators' area with my girlfriend, guys standing on their campers yelled out "show us your t**s!" to any woman who walked by. I don't think you would find people in NoVA behaving this way, so yes the people down there are weird perverts.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow101 4 View Post
I moved to Nova 9 years ago from S. Florida and was raised in north Texas, the people here , for the most part seem to keep to their circle of friends and are not interested in adding to the circle. I'm moving back to S. Florida this year and am looking forward to it. I will give you an example of a strange person I encountered in the Wal mart parking lot her in Fairfax city Virginia. I was moving my buggy back to the buggy enclose and this rude woman told me that I was doing it wrong and was very insulting. She went as far as to ask me what I was even doing here in the first place. I later thought I should have told her to ask my parent that because it sounded like she was questioning my existence. LOL I just thought she came off as a bitter unhappy know it all . I don't think you would find people in S. Florida or Texas behaving this way, so yes the people here seem to think they are very important.

I love stories like this. Good for a laugh. I moved here from Florida in 73 and would never move back. I still have family there and visit often and prefer VA over FLA hands down.

We could share stories all day about rude people for both states but you sound like you've made up your mind.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yes, I could see people in NoVa as being snobs. There's the Tyson's Corner and McLean mystique. I have an aunt who lives inside the Beltway in NoVa and she is far and away the most despicable of all our relatives in the U.S., and she plays up the NoVa highbrow B.S., though she was once a poor IMMIGRANT.
The biggest "mystique" about Tysons is how to find a parking place at the mall some weekends and, you're right, we're not gonna share our park-shark secrets with just anyone.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 AM

617 posts, read 1,355,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post
I am an arrogant, rude, mean, unfriendly. I fit well in the Mclean/Tysons Corner area.
I don't have much to add here, but I'm sad to see Mcleanexec isn't on the board anymore. Who else is going to tell us his watch costs more than our cars, or his yacht more than our houses? He always entertained me. Who is going to fill those shoes?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I don't have much to add here, but I'm sad to see Mcleanexec isn't on the board anymore. Who else is going to tell us his watch costs more than our cars, or his yacht more than our houses? He always entertained me. Who is going to fill those shoes?
Maybe robertpolyglot's aunt (see above) could take over.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:43 PM

617 posts, read 1,355,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Maybe robertpolyglot's aunt (see above) could take over.
No, that won't work at all. I mean, the fact that they also aren't a member, they appear to be complaining about the McLean/Tysons's snobbery. mcleanexec embraced it and tried to meet and outdo every stereotype imaginable about the area. We need someone to step up and make sure that every post them make, every point they have, contains a thinly veiled explanation of why they're much better than you are. I actually have hopes for homebeyer to fill the role after that post in Caladium's thread about raising money for a firehouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia