U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,640,844 times

Advertisements

The transient factor plays in as well. Lots of military and govt workers are here on 2 year stints and are off again to somewhere else. (plus we have a habit in the DC area of being annoyed at the long commutes and the high cost of housing...)
We refer to our DC time as the dark ages...we had to budget very carefully, hubby worked 12-15 hour days etc. But I did manage to make some very good friends despite myself! (I went into the move saying...I am only here for 2 years, I am not getting involved, etc...)
I was AMAZED when we left how the kids/teachers in school threw parties for my kids etc... we lived in a small town in PA for 9 years before that and I had to throw my kids going away party, not 1 friend stepped up.

Another issue may bethat the entire NOVA area is probably the most educated population in the US. many of the immigrants working hourly jobs have college degrees from thier county.

So I too wouldn't say it's overall "snobby" there are elitist parts and lots of wealth in some areas, but lots of good people as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,319 times
The people in NOVA seem cold and preoccupied as opposed to snobby. For instance, of the 12 units in my apartment bldg, I only know the occupants of one. I think most folks here are caught up in making big bucks and that becomes their main priority. I am from NC but have lived here for most of my life, and when I go back to my hometown to visit, I notice that I have lost the ability to be as warm and friendly as I once was. The attitude here is contagious.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:45 PM

6 posts, read 9,348 times
It all depends on what area of NOVA. If you are in Leesburg,alot of folks that would like to keep it white
Fairfax, alot of Asians
Reston, diverse
and the closer to DC, the more the way it ought to be.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:04 AM

42 posts, read 134,697 times
I grew up in the midwest where people are very friendly. I moved to an affluent area in So CA, where I was told that people are very snobby; I found everyone to be wonderful. We (married by now) then moved to Severna Park, MD, where we have been told (and many people here still say this) that people can be very snobby; we have yet to experience any snobbiness. Now we're off to NoVA, and I can only assume that our experience will be the same.

There are nice people everywhere, just as there are a few snobs around. Even in my small, rural town in Wisconsin where I grew up, there were (and still are) a few people who acted like snobs. I attribute this to low self-esteem, but even if I'm wrong and they really think they're better than me and everyone else, that just means they're wrong! Either way, it's all good! LOL!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:34 AM

3,504 posts, read 7,917,991 times
yes, yes, yes already - the area is full of snobs - it is not an "East Coast thing" -

Old 11-06-2008, 04:45 PM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times
NO NO NO - I haven't come across snobs and I'm not one. Some folks (here on the board as well as in person) seem to expect that and project it themselves. I find if you're friendly, other folks are as well.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 PM

446 posts, read 1,222,725 times
I suppose. Then again I used to live in Grand Forks, North Dakota and there were snobby people there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieGuitard View Post
I heard the people in North Virginia were snobby for the most part.
I have heard this from several people lately that have lived in that
area. Is this true from your perspective and experience?

Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,347,655 times
They're not snobby here. It's just a couple women here and there tend to act like they got everything but when you peel away the layers they're into debt they cannot ever pay back. In addition people working in the Government think they got some power, which amounts to BS. So dont let them bother you and be happy

Old 11-07-2008, 04:46 AM

989 posts, read 2,466,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
They're not snobby here. It's just a couple women here and there tend to act like they got everything but when you peel away the layers they're into debt they cannot ever pay back. In addition people working in the Government think they got some power, which amounts to BS. So dont let them bother you and be happy
Well said. The political folks crack me up the most. I don't CARE who you are or how "powerful" you are. All that matters is that you are a good person.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:11 PM
GMU

56 posts, read 505,732 times
In NoVA, it's all about the Benjamin$. Fairfax county in particular. Keeping up with the Jones' is the name of the game, unfortunately.

Unless you are from the area, or live here for more than a few years, it can be hard to find relationships that are more than topical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or