Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 02:10 AM

14 posts, read 60,487 times

Advertisements

I heard the people in North Virginia were snobby for the most part.
I have heard this from several people lately that have lived in that
area. Is this true from your perspective and experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 02:59 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,628,972 times
Oh yes, I'm an enormous slob, er, I mean snob.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:04 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,852,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieGuitard View Post
As in most cities, it depends on where you're moving from and what part of town you chose to move to. Also, how friendly you are (and, what people are you trying to make friends with).

If people seem snobby, here are a few possible reasons:

1. Nova attracts people who want to make a lot of $$$ very quickly. They lead incredibly busy lives. Many people are friendly, but they just don't have the time to become friends. Often it's because they have families here, and families take all your extra time. Sometimes it's much easier to make new friends in a place like Los Angeles, where a lot of young singles have moved, without any nearby family.

2. Nova is a very transitional place. People move in and move out all the time. Some newcomers are like summer storms--they blow into town, make a big noise and a big mess, and then leave just as suddenly. They demand that everything change to suit their tastes... but many times they don't stick around to support those things that are done to accommodate them. People get burnt...so after a few bad experiences they want to take a little time to get to know someone new.

If you want to make friends, I'd suggest joining a club or church. Become active in the community, so people know you're going to stick around. And be patient--it may take a little while to make friends, but once you do they will be friends for life.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 36,563 times
It is an affluent area. Sometimes people mistake affluence for superiority, and you are forgotten in the wake of whatever SUV-hybrid-hatchback flavor of the day people might be driving.

If you are from the East Coast, it should all be rather familiar to you.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:53 PM

26,683 posts, read 41,553,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieGuitard View Post
From my perspective, yes Northern Virginians are snobby and self-centered for the most part.

BCGguy, i disagree. I've lived in SC and Hampton, VA and can testify that this is not an East Coast thing.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:02 PM

16,982 posts, read 16,206,503 times
I think you'll run into snobs in just about every neighborhood around here. But you'll also find a lot of very nice, down to earth people - even in the very affluent areas.

I think Normie has described the situation well. Joining a club, church, parenting group, etc. will help you meet some great people.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:31 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,465,656 times
People are VERY snobby and stuck up here - in my humble opinion. They are polite and can be friendly but it is very hard to make REAL freinds - I have been here 2 years and have tons of aquaintances but no real, true, deep friends. So sad. Everyone is interested in wear you work, what you drive and how big your house is.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:11 PM

14 posts, read 60,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
People are VERY snobby and stuck up here - in my humble opinion. They are polite and can be friendly but it is very hard to make REAL freinds - I have been here 2 years and have tons of aquaintances but no real, true, deep friends. So sad. Everyone is interested in wear you work, what you drive and how big your house is.

My husband had lived in that area before and he was one of the main people that I was told about this. I know SC is not like this at all nor is NC so I have to agree that it is NOT a east coast thing.

Well at this rate, if I make friends that will be great if not, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, I'll just drive over to SC and see my other friends lol.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:43 PM

722 posts, read 1,915,620 times
I don't know if I'd call it snobby, but from what I have seen people in NOVA seem very self centered.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:25 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,660,301 times
The most annoying snobbishness I have found here is from the people who have to tell you within five minutes of meeting that they went to Harvard, Yale, or Princeton. People from other colleges don't do this. And I'm talking about middle-aged people, not just people in their early twenties for whom college is recent enough to still be a major part of their identities. (Not everyone from those schools does this, fortunately.)

Overall, though, I enjoy living here and talking with people, many of whom are very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia