Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 30,954 times

Advertisements

Hi-
We're moving from Delaware to Vienna, have a 3.5 and 2 y/o and looking for options for half day preschool in the fall (in Vienna or closeby)

please help! Is it too late to apply at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 07:33 AM

4 posts, read 28,858 times
I am moving from UK and another member told me about Just Settling - Home it has an education section. I am looking for preschools too and this site has a list and some recommendations. I don't think its is too late but some schools finish the end of May so I would get in touch with a few

Old 05-19-2008, 12:58 PM

7 posts, read 48,178 times
I had a hard time finding a preschool for my 3 year old that did not have a waiting list, but if you are patient you do find them. Even with long waiting lists, put your name down, since many people apply to several preschools at the same time and waiting lists can open up pretty fast. I would suggest looking at Appletree II (on Nutley St, Vienna), my daughter went there and we were really happy with the school.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:23 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,366,503 times
There was a similar thread last Fall with some good info in it. Might be worth a read through those 22 posts...

Preschools in Vienna or Falls Church City

To summarize, several local churches in the Vienna area run very good programs, but do not miss looking into the Parkwood School. It has been a first-rate, top-notch operation for decades...

Old 05-22-2008, 01:23 PM

847 posts, read 3,508,891 times
Parkwood, of course!!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:50 PM

264 posts, read 851,487 times
I frankly don't understand the appeal of parkwood at least after doing one of MANY preschool visits in Vienna/McLean- I went there expecting the best and greatest- and it's this huge school - a big house with rooms- kinda run down- like a maze - not new- not super old yet.. the teacher who did my orientation was completely burnt out- I'd ask what they taught or did- and she's say 'well- we TRY to do some things but with these guys.. heh"- " just a really tired and somewhat cynical answer to my questions.. a friend went over there two weeks earlier and have given me the same report- and maybe we had the same teacher but overall - just a super huge school.. Each person has their own expectations- and i also heard many super things which is why we went..

Old 05-22-2008, 07:05 PM

847 posts, read 3,508,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
I frankly don't understand the appeal of parkwood at least after doing one of MANY preschool visits in Vienna/McLean- I went there expecting the best and greatest- and it's this huge school - a big house with rooms- kinda run down- like a maze - not new- not super old yet.. the teacher who did my orientation was completely burnt out- I'd ask what they taught or did- and she's say 'well- we TRY to do some things but with these guys.. heh"- " just a really tired and somewhat cynical answer to my questions.. a friend went over there two weeks earlier and have given me the same report- and maybe we had the same teacher but overall - just a super huge school.. Each person has their own expectations- and i also heard many super things which is why we went..
Each to his own, I guess. Parkwood is almost like a Vienna landmark and I know of NO ONE that has sent their kids there with anything but constant rave reviews. I was born and raised in Vienna and work in education. I am also a Parkwood alum!
I am sorry you had a bad experience there. If I were you and I was considering a school for my child, I would make an appointment with Mrs. Vickery who is the owner of the school. She has been there for years, I mean years and is wonderful. I think she would want to know of your experience. This lady puts her heart and soul into that school.
But, not all schools are right for all people.

The size of the school does not bother me personally, I think it might be good for kids to experience a community like that. For me, personally, I do not like the idea of preschools that are only one or two classroooms.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 PM

"Huge" isn't a word I would have used with regard to Parkwood. There are typically 250 students or so, with about 220 in Pre-K and the rest in Kindergarten. The "campus" is three converted private homes in a quiet, wooded, residential neighborhood...i.e., the environment is very much like what kids in school for the first time are used to at home. I've known dozens of Parkwood parents over nearly three decades now, and don't know a one who has come away with anything but good things to say...

Old 05-23-2008, 12:35 PM

264 posts, read 851,487 times
I guess impersonal was the word I would use (since it was decentralized and mazelike for classroms- since they are houses).. it's just my (and other friend's ) impression of the tours we did. And we did a lot of them! It's just not our cup of tea. I have also heard many glowing reviews- nothing negative of anyone going there. We just opted not to send our kids there based on the tour- not the feedback. There is a friend who is sending her kid there based solely on recommendations. Everyone's different. best of luck to OP who is searching- space in most preschools appear to open up since DC's such a transitory area..(I'm from this area)

Old 05-23-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
I guess impersonal was the word I would use (since it was decentralized and mazelike for classroms- since they are houses).
"Impersonal" is not a word I would have used with regard to Parkwood either. Quite the contrary, in fact. And as a rule, I found that my kids were -- even at the age of 4 or 5 -- quite able to make it from their bedrooms to the kitchen at our house without being traumatized. They didn't face anything more disorienting than that at Parkwood. But it's certainly not for everyone. Those interested perhaps in strict military-style discipline or some form of religious indoctrination would be wise to look elsewhere, for instance. But for at least many looking into pre-school options in the area, Parkwood is certainly a resource to put on the list to look at...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia