U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 07:42 PM

12 posts, read 40,386 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're now looking at some houses in a couple of areas:

1) Springfield 22151, Kings Park area

2) Centreville 20120, near where 66, Lee Hwy and Centreville Rd. all come together.

We're commuting to Falls Church, right at the corner of the Beltway and 50. We're wanting a community that's good for kids, safe, yards, etc.

Are either of those areas better off avoided? Anything to more highly recommend one over the other? (Besides the fact that the commute would be much better from the Springfield area.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:07 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,395,595 times
Is there a reason for having a commuting issue at all? Neither Centreville nor Springfield will be a breeze to Merrifield, but there are nice, safe, and relatively affordable areas that would be. I'd be worried that you'd be getting nothing significant in return for your investment in commuting time out of either place...

Old 05-24-2008, 08:35 AM

12 posts, read 40,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Is there a reason for having a commuting issue at all? Neither Centreville nor Springfield will be a breeze to Merrifield, but there are nice, safe, and relatively affordable areas that would be. I'd be worried that you'd be getting nothing significant in return for your investment in commuting time out of either place...
So far the only house we've found in our price range in Falls Church close to the office is not suitable, and much of Vienna is out of our range.

It's not like we said "Gee, let's have a commute!" I'm working to find the best option to fit a six person family as near my husband's office as I possibly can, while still actually fitting into our budget. Which is $2K for a rental.

Where are these nice, safe and relatively affordable areas that are closer that I'm missing? (And that my realtor is missing, 'cause she keep showing us North Springfield.)

Old 05-24-2008, 12:02 PM

63 posts, read 155,561 times
Have you looked at Little Rocky Run in Clifton (20124)? It is in the part of Clifton that is closest to Centreville but is still in the boundaries of Clifton. The high school is Centreville, middle is Liberty ( a pretty new school) and the elementary Union Mill which is located inside the neighborhood. The section with townhouses may got to another elememtary school, I'm not sure. Depending on what part of the neighborhood you live in, you will be eligable for the bus to at least one of the schools but all three can be walked to. It is very family oriented and safe. It does have a homeowners assoc. but it is one of the most accomodating I have ever come across. We fit right in when we moved here. There is a variety of homes for sale at different pricepoints. Good Luck!

Old 05-25-2008, 09:49 AM

5,210 posts, read 9,138,511 times
A commute from the North Springfield neighborhood of Kings Park to Falls Church wouldn't be that bad at all. You hop on 495 to 50 and your there. Plus you would be in the Lake Braddock Secondary School pyramid - hard to beat that.

Centreville would be a longer hike to Falls Church. The homes and schools do tend to be newer, though.

Both areas are very safe and family friendly and offer great ammenities. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 AM

226 posts, read 680,800 times
I agree with JANIE01 that the Little Rocky Run development in Clifton/Centreville is a very nice family oriented neighborhoold. The schools are very good as well. Our family lives not far from that community in Green Trails. It is also very nice. I don't think the commute to Merrifield is that bad from here. I have taken my daughter to Merrifield for doctor appointments and use Rt 29 all the way there. It all depends on the time of day that you are traveling. You can expect heavy traffic anytime around rush hour in most locations in Northern VA! Centreville/Clifton definitely is newer than most areas in Springfield. We moved here 10 years ago from the West Springfield area because we wanted newer housing and schools. We have not been disappointed with our decision. It is also a more affordable area than closer into DC. One thing that we like is that Centreville is centrally located and you can travel in all directions for shopping etc.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:17 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,395,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenarie View Post
It's not like we said "Gee, let's have a commute!" I'm working to find the best option to fit a six person family as near my husband's office as I possibly can, while still actually fitting into our budget. Which is $2K for a rental.
Ah, that's new information. A 4BR or 5BR SFH at $2K per month is going to be very difficult to find anywhere. I am surprised that such are available in either Centreville of Springfield. You might be able to find a 4BR TH in the Fairfax/Burke area at that level. That would still leave a significant commute, but perhaps a better one than from Centreville. But even there, TH's at $2K will tend to be somewhat few and far between...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia