U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2022, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 4,184 times

Advertisements

I am coming from out of state (Indiana) to be a first year teacher in Stafford County. I’ll admit part of the draw to this state and area is Washington DC/Alexandria. I love history, culture and politics, and would love easy(ish) access to the area. I’ve been looking in communities such as Woodbridge and Lofton for rental apartments, but was curious if any suggestions or info in regards to good neighborhoods for single young professionals to reside.

I’m not afraid of a longer commute within reason (if living North of Stafford my commute will be a reverse one), especially if it means good access to the DC/Alexandria area in my spare time/weekends. I can handle a 50 min drive so long as I have a good podcast

Appreciate any thoughts/suggestions.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2022, 06:02 PM

14,428 posts, read 25,428,605 times
Where will you be working? That is the key.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:12 PM

21,214 posts, read 10,286,409 times
How much do you want to pay for rent? Having that info will help when it comes to giving you suggestions.

When you said "Lofton" did you mean Lorton?

Old 07-09-2022, 08:51 PM

Smile Young Professional Moving to Northern VA from Indiana

Hello Flamingo13 - I will be working in Stafford.

Hello BOS2IAD - Yes, I meant Lorton and I'd like to cap monthly rent at $1,500.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2022, 10:04 PM

3,328 posts, read 1,526,321 times
I highly recommend the Montclair development in Dumfries, VA. Just north of Stafford, which puts you closer to DC, but reasonable and nice.

https://www.montclairva.com/

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M57808-72979

Old 07-09-2022, 11:53 PM

8,722 posts, read 14,483,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
I highly recommend the Montclair development in Dumfries, VA. Just north of Stafford, which puts you closer to DC, but reasonable and nice.

https://www.montclairva.com/

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M57808-72979
It's a nice area (we used to live in the Ashland community), but it might be a bit dull for a young, first year teacher.

Scots2000, I know you mentioned Alexandria and DC as interests, but you might find you aren't just heading on into DC from places like Woodbridge as often as you think. Is there anything in particular that you'd like nearby? Do you prefer anything in particular to be within walking distance or within a short drive? Would you prefer an area with a lot of other young professionals or do you not mind being surrounded by families?

Old 07-10-2022, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the links I will look into those areas!

Old 07-10-2022, 09:10 AM

I do agree that I probably won't be going up to DC and Alexandria maybe as frequently as I think but I do definitely want that option to be there, so if I lived close to the rail station with train (Amtrack?) running on weekends. I believe Woodbridge has a stop/station.

Definitely would prefer to be in an area with other young professionals.

Would be nice if there was access to green space i.e. park, walking trail etc. and a few restaurants/bars. I suppose just not completely in the middle of no where. These amenities don't have to be walkable - happy to do a short drive to them.

Old 07-10-2022, 12:58 PM

2,173 posts, read 3,582,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots2000 View Post
I do agree that I probably won't be going up to DC and Alexandria maybe as frequently as I think but I do definitely want that option to be there, so if I lived close to the rail station with train (Amtrack?) running on weekends. I believe Woodbridge has a stop/station.

Would be nice if there was access to green space i.e. park, walking trail etc. and a few restaurants/bars. I suppose just not completely in the middle of no where. These amenities don't have to be walkable - happy to do a short drive to them.
Be sure and check out the Virginia Railway Express (vre.org) service and schedules and station locations as well as Amtrak.

Old 07-10-2022, 01:01 PM

8,722 posts, read 14,483,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots2000 View Post

If Woodbridge, perhaps Stonebridge Town Center? The studio is a little higher than your rental cap though.

https://stonebridgeptc.com/

https://www.bellstonebridge.com/?utm...campaign=local

I don’t think Amtrak would be very convenient for going into Alexandria and DC. Driving would be the better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia