Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:26 PM

449 posts, read 1,390,626 times

Advertisements

We moved to Nova from K.C. The driver and helper who picked up our stuff in K.C. were the same ones who delivered here. We tipped them quite well. They were polite, hard working, didn't break anything, and were also very efficient. These people do not get much of he amount you pay the moving company. The company keeps the lion's share of the cash you paid. We paid the two $300 each for their work, plus all the tea/water they wanted and bought them lunch.

Basically you tip if you want to and if the work was worth the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 PM

264 posts, read 853,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moman1 View Post
Easy there buddy. Life is too short to get that upset over someone else's OPINION. Yes, they do work their tails off. They also get paid at least minimum wage by the moving company unlike waiters and waitresses. If they don't like the job or the pay they need to get a different job. There are a lot of jobs out there where people work very hard and don't get tips. Are you saying I should leave a dollar on the counter in the restroom for the janitor who cleaned it? He's providing me a service. There is a reason why waiters and waitresses get paid less. But, in many cases, by the end of the day, they are making over normal minimum wage. If they get just one table an hour and get a meager $3 tip for it, they are making more than minimum wage. I've been a waiter many times before and in one restaurant I worked at, I once made over $500 in one day in tips alone. So yes, I do tip waiters and waitresses. I have tipped as high as 30% before and as low as nothing. It depends on how good or bad the service is. It's hard to tip the movers though when they break stuff and/or steal stuff before the end of the day. Both of which have happened to me on multiple occasions. If these movers I have coming in 3 weeks do a tremendous job, I have no problems tipping them. But I'm not going to just arbitrarily tip them for tipping's sake.

The bottomline is this: Pay tips as you feel necessary. If you received great service from anyone, tip them what you feel is adequate. If you didn't get great service, lower the percentage of tip or don't tip at all. That's why it's a tip.

And for you msjack: Try learning a little social tact before ripping into someone. You attacked/accused me of not tipping in restaurants when that wasn't even the topic.
Kudos from me too on self control- and I agree with you.. I have tipped when we paid hourly.. I don't think I tipped the $X,000 move from DC to Dallas (company paid).. We'd go crazy tipping everyone that did anything if that was the case.. I do know waiters etc get paid low per hour since tips are considered part of their income.. I also waitressed..

Old 05-27-2008, 04:59 PM

621 posts, read 3,201,815 times
Quote:
Easy there buddy. Life is too short to get that upset over someone else's OPINION. Yes, they do work their tails off. They also get paid at least minimum wage by the moving company unlike waiters and waitresses. If they don't like the job or the pay they need to get a different job. There are a lot of jobs out there where people work very hard and don't get tips. Are you saying I should leave a dollar on the counter in the restroom for the janitor who cleaned it? He's providing me a service. There is a reason why waiters and waitresses get paid less. But, in many cases, by the end of the day, they are making over normal minimum wage. If they get just one table an hour and get a meager $3 tip for it, they are making more than minimum wage. I've been a waiter many times before and in one restaurant I worked at, I once made over $500 in one day in tips alone. So yes, I do tip waiters and waitresses. I have tipped as high as 30% before and as low as nothing. It depends on how good or bad the service is. It's hard to tip the movers though when they break stuff and/or steal stuff before the end of the day. Both of which have happened to me on multiple occasions. If these movers I have coming in 3 weeks do a tremendous job, I have no problems tipping them. But I'm not going to just arbitrarily tip them for tipping's sake.

The bottomline is this: Pay tips as you feel necessary. If you received great service from anyone, tip them what you feel is adequate. If you didn't get great service, lower the percentage of tip or don't tip at all. That's why it's a tip.

And for you msjack: Try learning a little social tact before ripping into someone. You attacked/accused me of not tipping in restaurants when that wasn't even the topic.
First off I was simply stating MY OPINION, you're the one writing some 3 paragraph reply about tipping janitors and how you waited tables etc. and are telling ME to not get upset??? I wasn't upset....simply stating opinion. Second-you're the one who said you didn't tip the movers....in 12 years I might add. I did not "rip into" you and didn't accuse you of not tipping in restaurants. I merely used that as an example. Learning social tact?? I used YOUR words...YOU said maybe I'm cheap....I simply agreed with you. You ripped into yourself. Plus IF you really did wait tables, then I think you would've thought a tip might have been appropriate in all your moves in 12 years.

Quote:
Servers are required by law to report their tips on taxes as well. And, the $2.13/hr gets taxed a percentage as well. They get taxed the same as anyone else. I know of many instances where servers pocket a ton of money from tips without claiming it. That's why they like real money for tips as opposed to added onto the total bill with a credit card. They can't hide it as easy.
I waited tables on and off for 10 years. I didn't care either way if the tip was in cash or credit. Yes, the 2.13 gets taxed, it basically ALL goes to taxes if you make enough in tips, which most servers do. They may not claim their tips, but they will pay in the end. They still have a lot of taxes to pay, because simply $2.13 doesn't cut it. I don't know where you get your information about "hiding it as easy"....in all my years of waiting tables I've never heard anyone go.."gosh I hope I only get tipped in cash tonight". Not once. I've never met anyone concerned with it being cash or credit. Most servers get about an equal share per night of credit and cash tips anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older&Wiser View Post
Moman-you get one +point from me for self control!!! Me, I would have been banned.
Just curious if you're talking about having self control when replying to my apparent uncooth social tact, by simply agreeing with him???

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
Kudos from me too on self control- and I agree with you.. I do know waiters etc get paid low per hour since tips are considered part of their income.. I also waitressed..
Same thing with the self control???

Last edited by msjack; 05-27-2008 at 05:43 PM..

Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,481,430 times
My husbands company paid for our big move - thank goodnesss - so we did tip the guys about $40 each and also feed them and provided drinks for several days. A big moving company was hired and the same guys that packed us also drove the truck and unpacked us. The movers did a great job and were very polite and I cant believe how fast they moved!

I was a waitress once and know how hard that job it so I always tip well. I dont tip at Starbucks.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:09 AM

847 posts, read 3,514,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post

...in all my years of waiting tables I've never heard anyone go.."gosh I hope I only get tipped in cash tonight". Not once. I've never met anyone concerned with it being cash or credit. Most servers get about an equal share per night of credit and cash tips anyways.

I actually waited tables through graduate school and I disagree with this. Although, no, they do not walk around all night actually saying, 'gosh, I hope I only get tipped in cash tonight' they would prefer cash, for sure. If you get tipped in credit, then you have to report it. If you get tipped in cash, you are supposed to but most do not, so, yes, they would prefer cash. Where I worked, you had to put in the amount in tips at the end of the night in the system where you clocked in and out. Most, if not all, did not claim all of their cash tips, but enough to make sense.

Now, I am not condoning this but it happens everywhere!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:54 AM

162 posts, read 542,437 times
msjack,

This will be the last time I address this topic with you publicly. If you want to state your opinion on something, there is a tactful way to do it. Whether intended or not, you are coming across abrasive and arguementative, and it's beginning to get this thread off topic. I have no problems with you stating your opinion. Opinions are what forums like this are based on. That's why we are all here right? All I'm asking is that before you post something, try reading it as if you were the other person. Only then will you see why I'm not the only one that feels you attacked me.

If you want to get the last word in and rebuttle my comments, go for it. You'll probably end up proving my point even more. Just know that I will not spend any more time publicly on this issue. If you want to continue to argue, please send my a private message. I have said my peace. Now let's just get on with the discussion of tipping movers.

Last edited by Moman1; 05-28-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Most, if not all, did not claim all of their cash tips, but enough to make sense.

Now, I am not condoning this but it happens everywhere!
I'll admit that I have done this on occassion when I was too young to care. I was a 19 year old waiter in Ohio that was barely making ends meet and needed every dollar I could get. That doesn't make it right, but for a person straight out of high school and is very impressionable, it was easy to pick up on bad habits like this. You're right though, just about everyone did it at least once.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
We moved to Nova from K.C. The driver and helper who picked up our stuff in K.C. were the same ones who delivered here. We tipped them quite well. They were polite, hard working, didn't break anything, and were also very efficient. These people do not get much of he amount you pay the moving company. The company keeps the lion's share of the cash you paid. We paid the two $300 each for their work, plus all the tea/water they wanted and bought them lunch.

Basically you tip if you want to and if the work was worth the tip.
Was this a small company or something? I only ask because that was one heck of a tip. Are you moving soon? I'll help you!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 PM

449 posts, read 1,390,626 times
Quote:
Was this a small company or something? I only ask because that was one heck of a tip. Are you moving soon? I'll help you!
Can you hoist a piano? Just kidding. No, the moving company is a big national job. Can't remember the name off-hand (American, Global?). We have used them before so they gave us a discount.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:33 PM

847 posts, read 3,514,751 times
We are professional movers, we move about every two years and I usually tip $20 per mover and then buy them lunch. This past time we moved, it was the same people who packed us and unpacked us, we gave them more, maybe $50 each and also a TV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia