Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2023, 06:46 PM

10 posts, read 11,136 times

Advertisements

There is a parking lot at a local community pool. There is a local public park that is adjacent to the pool, just within walking distance. I have permission to remove the invasive vines at the local park.

I parked my car at the parking lot at the local community pool. Walked over to the restoration site and began my work. Once I was finished I began to walk over to my car.

As I was walking towards my car. A poolgoer confronted me.

"Hey, do you need some help", he asked.

I told him "No, I don't need any help."

"What are you doing?!?!", he asked.

I told him, "I'm removing some of the invasive vines that are in the area."

"Okay, I just want you to know this is all private property", he said.

I told him "Oh okay". I got in my car and left.

I was not trying to sneak into the community pool, or do anything nefarious. So this confrontation really took me aback. This is the first I've been confronted about this.

There is another area neighborhood that has a wooded bike trail that is adjacent to a community pool as well. I have permission to remove invasive vines at the wooded bike trail. I'll park my car in the adjacent community pool parking lot. No one bothers me about it.

Is parking my car at a local community pool for a short period of time illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2023, 07:37 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
The parking lot for the pool probably is private property. Maybe they've had problems with break ins, vandalism or something like that so the person was asking for that reason. Neighbors of the pool might be vigilant if they've had problems with activities in the lot.

It's probably not illegal, but it sounds like the person was respectful in letting you know it is private property. Does the lot have any type of signage?

I'd actually love for someone to remove the invasive vines near ours.

Old 05-28-2023, 04:09 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
It's not necessarily the time, though that can be specified by ordinance, but who owns it and how parking is regulated for it, especially if it's public. Regulation of parking and towing is governing by both state and local law.

Is the community pool, public or private? If it's private, yes, it is illegal in VA. § 46.2-1215 https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...tion46.2-1215/. The locality may also have ordinances.

If it's a public pool, the locality will have an ordinance which governs its parking. The state law governing this seems to be § 46.2-1220. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...tion46.2-1220/

Contact the locality for the parking ordinances. Some locality ordinances are difficult to search online.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:10 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
From what you wrote, I suspect he was concerned about you cutting the vines rather than parking in the lot. He may have been thinking you were a do-gooder violating someone else’s property because you assumed you knew what was best.

As you know, there are people who jump right in without permission when occasionally the landowner/community manager has a reason for keeping things a certain way. (In your example maybe the vines were to feed ‘beneficial’ insects or something.)

Next time you might say you are a city volunteer who was given permission to do what you were doing. Parking on private land for whatever reason you did.

Old 05-29-2023, 03:33 AM

230 posts, read 220,254 times
Most “community pools” in northern Virginia are private pool clubs and their parking lots are private property.

Next time park on the street.

Old 05-29-2023, 04:58 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Does the public park not have a parking lot?

Old 05-30-2023, 06:15 AM

230 posts, read 220,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Does the public park not have a parking lot?
Although I don't think ffxdwu should be parking on private property without permission, I'm guessing ffxdwu is contracted by the county to remove invasive plants on county-owned parkland. If it's Fairfax County, for example, the "parkland" could be lengthy strips of undeveloped woods along creeks that lack parking lots, but have access points from adjacent residential neighborhoods with public streets on which ffxdwu could (and should) park.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:45 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
Although I don't think ffxdwu should be parking on private property without permission, I'm guessing ffxdwu is contracted by the county to remove invasive plants on county-owned parkland. If it's Fairfax County, for example, the "parkland" could be lengthy strips of undeveloped woods along creeks that lack parking lots, but have access points from adjacent residential neighborhoods with public streets on which ffxdwu could (and should) park.
Thanks - I was missing the picture!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia