U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 7,653 times

Advertisements

Hi all -- I am feeling very stressed because I will be moving in two weeks to the Ashland subdivision, off 234 (Manassas address, but not really Manassas). My husband will be working at the Pentagon, and we really wanted to live "closer in" in Fairfax, but houses were renting quickly in desirable areas -- our oldest child will start school, so that was a prime concern -- and I have two friends who rented in Ashland. It seemed like an ok choice at the time, but now after doing more research I am really regretting my decision. From what I am reading on this forum, the crime in the area and the commute will not be good at all! We have a pretty good bit to spend on rent a month, about $2500, and I guess my question is, should we bite the bullet and live here for a year and see how it goes or should I try and get out of this lease??? Help!

Last edited by vipersweetie; 06-02-2008 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 PM

19,183 posts, read 28,293,345 times
Since you can afford places closer in, I think I'd at least look into backing out if I could. That will be a tough commute up and down I-95 most days. I don't think crime would be all that big a factor in the Ashland area...unless it's all frustrated I-95 commuters finally arriving home and going on some sort of rampage...

Old 06-02-2008, 01:25 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,341,279 times
#1 stop obsessing. Prince William County is really nice, especially down where you live has an awsome park. Not only that, your husband can get a job at Quantico . As well as being close to the VRE station and he can take that as well.

My best advice for you is do your research, you have a year right? Learn about the area and get to know how the school systems and traffic are running. Take a year and learn the area, and then make a good decision.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,628,447 times
Default Live in Ashland

We have lived in Ashland for just over 7 years. My wife and I are very active in the neighborhood. We co-chair the events committee and have served on others. My son has attended the elementary for 2 years. I am wondering what makes you think that crime in the area will be a concern. We feel pretty safe and the crime rate should be pretty low.
I have a pretty good commute, but only drive to Springfield and usually leave for home by 3:30.
Could he commute with others? I have neighbors who go to the Pentagon and HOV it.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 7,546 times
We've lived in Ashland for over three years and have found it to be a great place to bring up kids. There is very little crime, in fact, several police officers live in the community. There are a TON of kids of all ages along with places for them to play -- the community pool, various playgrounds, etc.

The only drawback is the commute but there are ways to alleviate the headache. The best one is slugging, a sort of ride-sharing system. It has its own website (slug-lines.com) so you can learn all about it. I slugged for over a year and it really was fantastic. Your husband could pick up a ride at Potomac Mills and be driven straight to the Pentagon. Other options are the VRE from Woodbridge to Crystal City or OmniRide from Montclair to the Pentagon.

My guess is that once you move into Ashland you'll like it enough to renew your lease.

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood!

Old 07-27-2008, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,463 times
I have a single family home in Springfield I am going to lease very soon. I haven't listed it yet, but if you're interested we could arrange a time for you to see it. It is in line with your monthly budget.

It is in a quiet neighborhood on 2 wooded acres with lots of room and privacy. It is just minutes from the Metro, the Mall, I-95, I-495, I-395, and the Fairfax County Parkway. It really is an ideal location. It's like living in the country, but you're right in the city. A very peaceful setting.

I can be reached at 571-205-8955.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 7,442 times
Default Military in Ashland.

Hi, We just moved here from Carlsbad, CA and really like Ashland. Are you military? We are and there are lots of military in Ashland. I think it is a safe area and we picked it based on the school. Ashland elementary is supposed to be one of the best and Benton middle school is also supposed to be very good. You can e-mail me if you have any questions I can answer. Ashland also has a really nice pool.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 AM

73 posts, read 221,599 times
Yes, Ashland is very nice. Benton is the best middle school in eastern Pr. Wm. County. Lots of families are choosing to buy/rent with Benton in mind.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 7,193 times
These messages really belong in the Manassas citi-data information. They are referencing a subdivision near Manassas, NOT the city of Ashland, Virginia.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:16 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,628,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenBean View Post
These messages really belong in the Manassas citi-data information. They are referencing a subdivision near Manassas, NOT the city of Ashland, Virginia.
I am confused. It seems to be ok where it is...in the Northern VA section. All the posts are about the subdivision, not the city. So I don't see the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia