U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:12 PM

19 posts, read 50,299 times

Advertisements

Careful with those recruiters, they are sharks. Let me tell you a little story. Years ago I had a job and contacted a recruiter. The recruiter needed references, the name of my boss, etc, and PROMISED not to contact my boss (also promised to send check in mail...)

Well, soon after my boss noted to me in passing that the recruiter contacted him offering to replace me. He did not have a job for me.

Recruiters toll for bait, they do not have jobs available, they troll for talent and then try sell to employers, or worse, use they harvest references and contacts, with no intention of helping you get a job.

It is a jungle out there, full of snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:15 PM

55,492 posts, read 74,394,948 times
looking for a new job is healthy. the assumption of many employers is if you are not looking you will stay no matter the treatment, hence kicking you is ok.
good employees are always looking for a possible emergency
landing strip

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 AM

349 posts, read 1,290,507 times
Don't put your full contact info on your resume on jobs sites. There are ways to leave it confidential and note to potential employers about the confidentiality. Then you should only be contacted by interested employers and your current employer won't find out easily.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,530,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Well, just a couple ideas about why an employer might care. First of all, one disgruntled employee can sour a bunch of other people. It is common in some industries to let people go as soon as it is apparent they are looking elsewhere. This would especially be true if you are obviously disgruntled and broadcasting the fact that you are looking elsewhere throughout your office.
Now see, that violates what I stated about professional relationships. Running around moaning and whining is hardly professional behavior.

If one is doing that I have no sympathy when an employer cuts ties. I find such sudden termination to be unprofessional, but I'm sure not going to argue against an employer dropping someone like that.

There is a solid reason for professional courtesy - an employer doesn't want you to just quit on a whim and leave them high and dry; and naturally an employee doesn't want to be fired on a whim and suddenly be without income.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:54 PM

169 posts, read 389,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8 View Post
I think a bigger question is, why would a company want to boot you if you're doing your work well, regardless of whether you're looking for a new job or not. A capable person, even if leaving soon, is more valuable to a company than an empty seat. Everywhere I've left, I've had time to train my replacements.

Personally, I am constantly in the job market. If something shows up on my radar that is significantly better than what I've got, I'll take it or use it to negotiate with my current employer.

The interviewing process is a two way street. Just because you get an offer, doesn't mean you have to accept it. Hell, I've applied and gone to interviews for jobs that I was confident I WOULDNT take... on the off chance they offered a higher salary than I expected and to keep my interview skills sharp. Also, any time I intend to do something that might rock the boat at work, I prepare in advance, by making sure I have an offer waiting elsewhere in case my current employer takes the low road (which has never happened).

Most companies I've worked for are pretty straightforward when it comes to hiring and moving on if you have professional relationships with your co-workers and managers.

I agree with you. In today's marketplace it is quite commonplace for educated, highlys skilled professionals to have their resumes/cv's out there for the reasons you've cited. I am no longer in the corporate world but used to be a VP of Sales for a telecom company. I always operated under the premise that my folks were constantly out there looking for greener pastures. It also reinforced my management style/philosophy of the inverted pyramid. I'm at the bottom and my job is to ensure that all of the folks in my "pyramid" have opportunites for professional growth, that their compensation is extremely competitive, and that the organizational culture is one that drives excellence AS WELL AS work/life balance. It's a tall order and a constant juggling act, but I'd say that anyone working for a company that confronts you about having your resume posted should be looking a little harder at themselves and less at the person who is on line. Frankly, we were so busy counting our money that we didn't have time to look for our staffers on line!

One more note, my husband is an aerospace engineer who is extremely pedigreed. He recently was recruited by his own company to interview for a position in another state. They found his resume on line and thought nothing of it. He turned them down because they couldn't meet his salary requirements and accepted a position in Dulles instead. Not all employers operate with an antiquated mentality. I think the companies people want to work for realize that we live in a capitalistic economy where it is survival of the fitest, and that just as candidates who are job hunting must compete with their comtemporaries, so too must corporations compete for talent and develop talent acquisiton and retention strategies that are reflective of the way the world works TODAY. It sounds like the originator of this thread is in an unenlightened, antiquated, on the verge of obselete company. Life is too short...

Old 08-24-2008, 10:41 PM

148 posts, read 569,333 times
I have not seen this in the Government Contracting and NGO jobs in NOVA but in the real world, there are many companies (GE, HP, etc..) that stack rank employees every year and get rid of the bottom 10% (aka non performers). If you are in those types of corporations, no one blinks an eye if they see your resume on-line. Manages do drop hints to those 10% to start looking for another job becuase when you serve them notice one would would hear.."I am shocked. I thought I was doing great" or some other lame excuse. it is easier in areas where performance is black and white (such as sales), if you do not make the numbers, you are gone in a quarter (or two).

Bottomline: If you have marketable skills and if you do not like what you do then quit and go find another job.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:32 AM

23 posts, read 92,298 times
I would search monster and career builder for the opportunities then go to the employers website directly to apply. Additionally, send your resume to some headhunters and let them do the looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia