Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:41 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to get out of my job for the past 3 years, but I am afraid my employer will confront me again about my resume being posted up on monster or career builder.. I want to split, but not without having something in my pocket. I could just search jobs and apply the old fashioned way, but I have had good luck in the past.

This company has even mentioned to the employers they use a lot of different tools, and consulting firms to locate talent around the country. I feel like I am enslaved, barred, and I want Liberty from this place.

Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Doesn't Monster still have a way to keep your name and current company private? Unfortunately, you're in a tough spot. DH could never post his resume on line either if he wanted to. The best you can probably do is scout out the jobs yourself on Career Builder, Monster, HotJobs and any other sites that specialize in your field and apply. Also, if there are any particular companies you are interested in, you could go directly to their website and submit your resume.

You could also give your resume to a head hunter. I know the pool of talent in certain fields has been scant lately. Head hunters don't charge you, they charge the company.

Last edited by tamitrail; 06-02-2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-02-2008, 08:50 PM

264 posts, read 854,589 times
Try a search engine like indeed (since you can't post your resume.. )- at least it will be a faster search for jobs since it looks at all biggie job banks..

Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 PM

663 posts, read 2,262,756 times
You have every right to look for a job whenever you want. Your company cannot control that. I think them even confronting you about that could be lawsuit material. Tell them to talk to your lawyer if they confront you again and I bet they will drop the issue.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:07 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
You have every right to look for a job whenever you want. Your company cannot control that. I think them even confronting you about that could be lawsuit material. Tell them to talk to your lawyer if they confront you again and I bet they will drop the issue.
that's a little on the wild side right?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 AM

32 posts, read 165,436 times
I was in the same situation. I did not post my resume on monster. I applied directly to jobs and submitted my resume to companies directly. Also get in touch with recruiters directly and send them your resume.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
that's a little on the wild side right?

You would be shooting yourself in the foot.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:58 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,199,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
You would be shooting yourself in the foot.
Agreed. Employment in the US is generally employment at will. This means people can be fired (and conversely, can quit) for any reason or no reason, except for a very few protected cases, which are very hard to prove. As far as I am aware, there is not intrinsic "right" to search for another job. From the employer's point of view, if you are posting your resume on job sites, it is likely you have "one foot out the door" so they may just want to preempt it by letting you go. There's nothing wrong with that as far as I am aware, legally speaking. I admit its rather annoying though.

To the OP, I'd do what others have said - just apply directly. It may take longer than posting your resume, but its a trade off. If you really want to post your resume, I'd suggest leaving the company now on good terms. It is better for you to give notice, and leave, than to post your resume, have them notice it, and have them get rid of you on bad terms.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:05 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times
I think a bigger question is, why would a company want to boot you if you're doing your work well, regardless of whether you're looking for a new job or not. A capable person, even if leaving soon, is more valuable to a company than an empty seat. Everywhere I've left, I've had time to train my replacements.

Personally, I am constantly in the job market. If something shows up on my radar that is significantly better than what I've got, I'll take it or use it to negotiate with my current employer.

The interviewing process is a two way street. Just because you get an offer, doesn't mean you have to accept it. Hell, I've applied and gone to interviews for jobs that I was confident I WOULDNT take... on the off chance they offered a higher salary than I expected and to keep my interview skills sharp. Also, any time I intend to do something that might rock the boat at work, I prepare in advance, by making sure I have an offer waiting elsewhere in case my current employer takes the low road (which has never happened).

Most companies I've worked for are pretty straightforward when it comes to hiring and moving on if you have professional relationships with your co-workers and managers.

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; 06-03-2008 at 01:13 PM..

Old 06-03-2008, 05:53 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Well, just a couple ideas about why an employer might care. First of all, one disgruntled employee can sour a bunch of other people. It is common in some industries to let people go as soon as it is apparent they are looking elsewhere. This would especially be true if you are obviously disgruntled and broadcasting the fact that you are looking elsewhere throughout your office.

Also, maybe your employer doesn't want a bunch job seekers wanting to leave the company broadcasting that fact on Monster.com, since they may be trying to recruit there.

I'm not arguing for this practice, just giving some reasons why an employer might do it. As was stated earlier, unless you have a contract (e.g. collective bargaining agreement), you can be fired for virtually any reason. The major exception would be unlawfull discrimination.

I would advise you to not reveal who you are currently working for and make sure that your reason for leaving (or seeking a new position) is positive and not negative. Or better yet, apply directly.

Good luck!

[quote=DvlsAdvc8;3975351]I think a bigger question is, why would a company want to boot you if you're doing your work well, regardless of whether you're looking for a new job or not. A capable person, even if leaving soon, is more valuable to a company than an empty seat. QUOTE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia