U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 02:33 PM

239 posts, read 596,247 times

Advertisements

I lived in Arlington (loved it)for over 10 years, got married, had baby, moved to Miami (job related) in late 2003. We've regretted it ever since (I don't even want to get started on South Florida). To make a long story short, we want to move back to Nova, perhaps Loudon County, in the next year or two. My son is now 4 and we are looking for good schools, a family friendly safe neighborhood, an established neighborhood with character and older homes, big yards and mature trees. I grew up in the country in Pennsylvania and would like my son to have a similar childhood. All of our friends (now also with toddlers) are still in Arlington/Alexandria/DC so being near them is a plus but I really don't want to be in all that craziness. I want an established rural feeling but near a major city. I have been thinking about Leesburg. My job is in State Economic Development and his in Workforce Investment programs so once we choose an area, we will try to work (before we move ergo our 2 year plan) within the same or nearby county so commute time might not be an issue. Questions: 1. I've heard gangs are becoming a problem in Northern Virginia. What are the areas where this is a problem? Has it reached as far as Leesburg, and 2. That being said, with all the people looking for the same utopia and flocking to Loudon, do you see it drastically changing in a few years. What places, if any, do you see as retaining that small town charm lifestyle as long as possible. We are "ideally" looking for a home in the 300-400 range but I would really like to know about the other quality of life factors regardless of the affordability index. If not Loudon County, do you know other areas? Thank you all for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,541 times
NW Leesburg is nice and "older". You'll see lots of historic houses, as well as older SFHs that you can often buy for less than $400K. No sexual predators (well, convicted ones at least) in that part of town, it's also within walking distance of historic downtown and Ida Lee park. I don't think there is a lot gang activity in Leesburg, the only "bad" areas (and really, they aren't that bad..) are around Plaza St close to Market St. The eastern side of Leesburg is where the new development is and most of the neighborhoods are cookie-cutter without much character. I personally LOVE NW Leesburg, would move there in a minute if it wasn't for the traffic..

Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 AM

239 posts, read 596,247 times
Default Lot's of kids?

Thank you EuroExpat. This is very helpful. I've visited Leesburg many times and I love it too. I was hoping to confirm my impressions. Do you know if there are lot's (or a good number) of young professional families with toddler-ish kids? Also, I know some areas are very exclusive with large stables, etc. We are leaving Miami partly to escape the uber-flashy materialism (although I lived in North Arlington so I know Nova isn't exactly humble). Do you think a down to earth middle-ish class young professional family would fit in or is it one of those areas where you can only be welcome and enjoy it of you are super rich. BTW, where are you from in Europe?

Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,641,584 times
Quote:
Do you think a down to earth middle-ish class young professional family would fit in
Yes, the majority of the people are middle class professionals with kids.

Yes, there are some very old horsey areas but the vast majority is not. so much is geared towards families etc...
Great rec programs at Ida Lee and the library has tons of childrens programs. Any type of activity you wnat your kids invloved in is available.
Schools have very active PTAs and parents are very envolved etc... Several churches run excellent pre-school programs etc...

Halloween is STILL a big event with the parade, haunted house and door to door trick or treating.

New years Eve they have family activites planned in downtown etc...

4th of july parade and fireworks.

now.... the areas with the old historic homes will be a mix of old time residents with wealth and some new families moving in. (EAST of Plaza st and North on Edwards Ferry rd is a beautiful older homes) Those homes are a bit more expensive than your newer planned neighobrhoods like, Exeter and Potomac crossing (both filled with kids) but are pretty cookie cutter etc...
(noth of main street and along main street are old homes as well.)

There are some older neighobrhoods to the north that aren't "historic" but more 1960-70's but they aren't cookie cutter either. (some NE of 15 in the area with westpark golf course) Big nice lots and trees there as well.

south Leesburg near the outlets is very busy and lots of traffic, I'd avoid there if possible.

Also the "bad area" is pretty small and mostly centered around the section 8 apts off of plaza st (west) and edwards ferry rd (south of it) Teh neighobborhood north of edwards ferry is fine, smaller older homes, mostly blue collar, etc...but very nicely kept and safe. (my daughter had two friends that lived over there and spent the night etc...)

Most crime in leesburg is "opportunity" crimes, shop lifting (lots due to out let mall) cars broken into, a few purse snatchings.
most of the "more violent" crimes are domestic ones, most in the apartments. there is some drug trafficing etc...again mostly in hte apartments and crimes that go with that.
No home invasions etc...
look in the local papers, they run the police blotter etc...

We really liked it and felt is was a nice "family" town. A little slice of "AMERICANA"

if it's not too far out for jobs... Purceville is nice as well and the villages around Leesburg...Hamilton, Paeonian springs, Historic Waterford($$$) but country and very nice
etc...lots of little "hamlets" around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia