Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:10 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times

Advertisements

You will pay lower taxes in Virginia, if that's an issue. Maryland has very high taxes, on nearly everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:28 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
You will pay lower taxes in Virginia, if that's an issue. Maryland has very high taxes, on nearly everything.
Good point.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:35 PM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
Your husband would have a significantly longer commute on MARC from Point of Rocks than Frederick. Consider how that may impact your family time with that decision.

I disagree with this statement. Frederick is definitely a further train ride than Point of Rocks, since all trains from Washington to Frederick go through Point of Rocks first. Just look at the MARC system map.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:23 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Your husband would have a significantly longer commute on MARC from Point of Rocks than Frederick. Consider how that may impact your family time with that decision.

I disagree with this statement. Frederick is definitely a further train ride than Point of Rocks, since all trains from Washington to Frederick go through Point of Rocks first. Just look at the MARC system map.
Point of Rocks is Leesburg closest MARC access, is it?

Interesting thread...I was just viewing rowhomes, and Frederick has them. Does Leesburg?

I actually visited Frederick and Hagerstown about a year ago...and liked the rowhomes everywhere in their urban core. Very impressive. Does Leesburg have anything like that? For some reason I have a feeling Leesburg might be typical american town...whereas Frederick/Hagerstown has that unique Maryland rowhome density feel to it - similar to Baltimore in some ways.

Not having been to Lessburg though, curious to get that confirmed though.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Point of Rocks is Leesburg closest MARC access, is it?
Yes, since MARC is in Maryland, and Leesburg is in VA. There are only two bridges across the Potomac, and Point of Rocks is at the base of one of them (Rt. 15). This makes it the closest MARC access for a lot of towns.

BTW, don't blame VA for the small number of bridges. We keep trying to build another one, but MD is adamanelty against them.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Interesting thread...I was just viewing rowhomes, and Frederick has them. Does Leesburg?
Leesburg doesn't really have row houses. There is a very small historic district with a few smallish houses right near King Street as well as quite a few larger homes on big lots. However, the historic area is a very small percentage of Leesburg. Much (maybe most) of Leesburg was built in the last decade. A lot of these new developments are quite affluent. There are also a few fairly large developments built in the 1960's-1970s. These are mostly moderately-priced split level homes and apartments.

Here's a thread with photos to help you see what Leesburg is like:

Leesburg

Last edited by Caladium; 10-27-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Leesburg doesn't really have row houses. There is a very small historic district with a few smallish houses right near King Street as well as quite a few larger homes on big lots. However, the historic area is a very small percentage of Leesburg. Much (maybe most) of Leesburg was built in the last decade. A lot of these new developments are quite affluent. There are also a few fairly large developments built in the 1960's-1970s. These are mostly moderately-priced split level homes and apartments.

Here's a thread with photos to help you see what Leesburg is like:

Leesburg
Thanks - interesting read and photos on Leesburg as well.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 AM

184 posts, read 311,070 times
One of my favorite topics. I like both towns. It really all depends on what you want around you.
Frederick: I beleive 2 or 3rd largest city on Maryland. People in Baltimore used to call it Western Md, but it isnt western Md, more like central MD. You have hospitals, one big mall with the Key Mall, The baltimore orioles single A ballclub the Frederick Keys are located there for pro baseball. You have a very historic downtown area with lots of shops and restaurants in that downtown area. Sure Frederick has a rough area of town but nothing like a big east coast city. Hood College is there as well off Rt 15.
Rt 15 and 270 and 70 interchange is a slow go during rush hour times but otherwise it has decent infrastructure with regards to rail (MARC), Amtrak is down in Harpers Ferry, WV, (about a 20 min ride from Frederick). Good highways in the region with easy access to DC and Baltimore. Rt 15 is the main North-south highway. Closest airport would be Dulles Intl Airport in Chantilly VA and the next closest one would be BWI in Hanover, MD. A quick two hours+ and you are in the high mountains of western Md and skiing and year round recreation, ie, camping, rafting, etc. also some smaller ski areas north on Rt 15 in southern PA. Maryland does have extremely high taxes though, and the drivers are well, interesting.

Now for Leesburg, VA!!! I am partial since I live here and have loved Leesburg since I first set eye on it back in 2000. for the best part of the 'burg, we have a Wegmans Grocery store, though Frederick is getting one too eventually. Do a google search , it is the Walt disney of Grocery stores. We also have a very historic downtown area which is quite busy. Shops, restaurants, the county courthouse is downtown, very similar looking to a New england downtown. They have a large various amount of events downtown with parades and festivals too. Ida Lee Park is very very nice with indoor and outdoor tennis courts, soccer fields, an area you can rent at the park to plant your own garden, a brand new outdoor water park which is quite nice, indoor pools, gym, various classes in exercise, dancing, stuff for the kids. It is one of the nicer town parks I have ever seen and I have lived in a lot of different places.Also a brand new state of the art library next to Ida Lee Park too, it is really sweet. they also have a large fireworks display at the park every July 4th, it is rather an impressive event. If you are into biking, we have the old Washington Old Dominion Railroad here in town. It stretches from Purcellville to our west about 10 miles and heads east thru downtown Leesburg to near Arlington, VA, a paved 40 miles or so bike path which is rather pleasant to walk or bike on. You are 15 mins or so from the Appalachian Trail off Rt 7 as well if you are into hiking. It is the last frontier here in Northern Virginia, though Purcellville is slowly becoming that winner of that title. But Leesburg has a good infrastructure with regards to highways. No Rail service which I think it is ridiculous, but the Metro train will reach Ashburn supposedly in 2016 I beleive which is 5-10 mins away from Leesburg and will take you to Dulles and DC. As for airports, Dulles Intl Airport is 12 miles away from Leesburg. So you have access to numerous airlines to choose from for flights to and from Dulles (IAD). Lots of your big box type shopping in Leesburg as well, but away from the historic downtown area. Target, Home Depot, etc etc. We are also gaining new chain restaurants and some mom and pop type of eateries as well here in the 'burg. A lot of towns are building these shopping areas with apartments/condos in the town as well. Example would be Landsdowne which is 5 mins east of Leesburg or google the Village at Leesburg. It seems to be the new thing around these parts. Also as a fun fact, Leesburg was the countries capital for a few days as well.
Good luck in your choice, if you need any more info, feel free to private message me

Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM

9 posts, read 29,332 times
Default Ashburn vs Leesburg VA

My husband is being relocated to the DC area for work. We have visited several times & always come back to the Ashburn/Leesburg area. We have 3 children...2 in competitive cheer & 1 in travel ice hockey. Schools are important to us...2 are in elementary, 1 in middle school. Which in your opinion is the better & why? Is there anywhere else in VA or MD you would look at taking in consideration the schools & activities for our kids? Commute isn't an issue since my husband can work from his home office. We will be looking to purchase a newer home in a family friendly neighborhood with good schools for around 600,000+

Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia