U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 PM

555 posts, read 2,433,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlngrl View Post
My family is looking at houses in Port Potamac area of Woodbridge. Can anyone offer info on the schools? Specifically Rippon Middle School? Things I read on Greatschool.net were not favorable.
I went there as a kid (about 30 years ago), A LOT has changed since then. I personally wouldn't want my kid to go there. Again, just a personal opinion, nobody get mad at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 PM

555 posts, read 2,433,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
I am sorry I take umbridge with this comment...

KIDS need time to just play together..."kicking the can around the neighborhood" unsupervised and unorganized play is a great social time and kids get to figure things out for themselves.
It's not that great to have have your kids BOOKED up all summer (or school year) in ORGANIZED camps and activites... beleive it or not they do need down time to JUST PLAY!

we do a camp here and there and BTW...they are $$$$ fine for 1 kid but when you have 3 that 125/weekx3 ADDS up not all of us have an extra 1500 a month to spend so someone else can provide "supervised paly".

My kids ride bikes with the neighbor kids, go to the creek and dig in the dirt, look for critters, fish in hte pond with sticks and string, have water gun fights, play hide in seek with about 15 other kids... etc (sound like a childhood I had)

Just because kids are PLAYING outside and running around the neighborhood doesn't mean that they are left to "fend for themselves" or have bad parents and no supervision!
I think you may have taken the previous poster the wrong way. As prior law enforcement I totally agree with the previous poster. If kids have no supervision and are running wild around the neighborhood at all hours of the day and night, you can be sure your friendly county police officer will be paying you a visit. Besides that, you simply can't just let your kids run wild anymore. Go to the sex offender website and see how many live in the area, it will blow your mind. We used to run all over the place when I was younger, but the area didn't have so many criminals then either. Prince William was more of a small community then.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 AM

22 posts, read 72,320 times
Default "kicking cans around the neighborhood"

Take as much umbrage as you want from my post. However, you may be reading this completely from a completely different vantage point as your comment shows:

"My kids ride bikes with the neighbor kids, go to the creek and dig in the dirt, look for critters, fish in hte pond with sticks and string, have water gun fights, play hide in seek with about 15 other kids... etc (sound like a childhood I had)

Just because kids are PLAYING outside and running around the neighborhood doesn't mean that they are left to "fend for themselves" or have bad parents and no supervision."

YOU may have been raised or raised your own kids to think that these things are fun. And my 3 yo kid has friends that she does similar activities in our neighborhood. You know why?... I or her friends parents have shown her the fun to be had in these types of things you mention. I am making sure that my child has the opportunity to experience ALL of things communities have to offer, organized camps, sports clubs, library visits, etc. We also blow bubbles with neighborhood kids, chalk up the sidewalks, and run through the sprinklers. More often than not someone has to show these kids that all this stuff is available and fun.

Most kids probably don't realize the "organized" aspect of camps, going just to have fun and I'd probably go into debt to send my kid to camp, if I had to. Creating those opportuities at times may mean that I have to forego something, like cars from Bavaria, a bigger home, a 60" kuro elite, no matter how much I really want some of those things. Some of my neighbors don't and thats their decision. and it shows in their kids and the way that they play and interact and the things they say and do.

However, letting kids who have no idea (unlike you and your kids) what to do around a neighborhood (especially unsupervised) definitely leads to things like vandalism, graffiti, and loitering in tot parks. Don't think its true? I have seen it first hand for the past month since school let out. And these are kids whose families most likely have an investment in the community.

I recently had a 8-10 y.o. girl (who I thought was nice and courteous and knew had to have fun without supervision) at the park, sitting alone on the swing, tell me that she wasn't friends with the others because her idea of a good response to her friend telling her to stop showing off was to b-slap her in the face. Nice... She then asked is my kid need to be babysat (she must have been high for asking after telling me what she did) or work at a car-wash for the summer. even better...

There are severally different cultural, not racial, ideas of play, downtime, responsibility, and supervision. All it takes is one kid/person with a bad concept of what "fun" is ( and the rest to think that that kid is cool (and peer pressure) for unsupervised "play" time to go downhill quick.

I don't think I need to elaborate on Nitrovic's safety and security comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or