Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:16 PM

21 posts, read 70,538 times

Advertisements

We're looking to relocate to nova and are looking at Bristow and Woodbridge and Alexandria... we have 3 children one will be in elementary school. We want a good public school district and a house with enough room under $375,000. We're just trying to get a sense of affordable areas that won't be unbearable for work---will be commuting to Alexandria and prefer trains or buses v. driving. Which area is best? Please help..especially those who have or have had kids in school. The area is already more expensive than where we are coming from-- so we don't want to have to do private school. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 07:31 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
You could take either bus or train from the Woodbridge area. Train and maybe bus from Bristow? I don't think you would get much home for a family that size in Alexandria for 375K, but could do ok in either Bristow or Woodbridge. Woodbridge and Alexandria are such large areas that communities can vary widely. Overall, the school districts of Alexandria, Fairfax County, and Prince William would be similar in quality I would think, but again individual buildings would vary so much depending upon the population. To what part of Alexandria would you be commuting?

Last edited by tgbwc; 06-06-2008 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: added question

Old 06-07-2008, 05:09 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
I'd go with Woodbridge. The houses have really gotten more affordable. I'm sure you can find a sensible commute and a decent elementary school for under $375k.

For Alexandria, i went to ACPS for two years and think is good but $375k will buy very little inside the city limits.

I have no knowledge about Bristow.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:40 AM

8 posts, read 30,502 times
I am relocating from Missouri to Nova this fall and we are looking in the same areas you are. We ruled out Woodbridge though because the info I found on schools was sketchy.

We will take our first house hunting trip in a month or so. From what I've gathered on this message board and others is that Prince William County School District is mostly good but there are some elementary, middle and high schools that aren't performing well. I've used greatschools.net and schooldigger.com to get some good starting information on the schools. This is what I've found. The highest concentration of highly rated elementary schools are in Bristow, Nokesville and Haymarket. That is where we are focusing our search with Gainesville thrown in the mix too.

Will let you know what we come up with.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 31,112 times
I would not recommend Woodbridge for living or schooling IMO, because the area is cheap for a reason and its a sketchy city to live in (75% of it IMO).

Alexandria - Kingstowne would be the only area that I would even remotely consider living in if you want a mid-scale to upper-scale feel. Anything other than that such as Duke St, Edsall Rd, etc. is similar to woodbridge as I dont recommend living there at all (sketchy).

Bristow seems to be the best choice, unless you can get a place in Kingstowne.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:57 PM

What does IMO mean?

Does anyone use the VRE to get to Alexandria from Bristow?

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromNYtoVA View Post
What does IMO mean?

Does anyone use the VRE to get to Alexandria from Bristow?
In My Opinion

Old 06-12-2008, 03:55 AM

555 posts, read 2,702,280 times
I'd go with Bristow.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:04 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewayne View Post
I would not recommend Woodbridge for living or schooling IMO, because the area is cheap for a reason and its a sketchy city to live in (75% of it IMO).

Alexandria - Kingstowne would be the only area that I would even remotely consider living in if you want a mid-scale to upper-scale feel. Anything other than that such as Duke St, Edsall Rd, etc. is similar to woodbridge as I dont recommend living there at all (sketchy).

Bristow seems to be the best choice, unless you can get a place in Kingstowne.
I live in that Duke St/Edsall Rd area. I dont consider it sketchy at all.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:49 PM

thanks for the imput.. still looking for someone who commutes on the VRE from Bristow... anyone???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia