U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,755 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to NoVa. Have little to no knowledge of the area. I'll do a physical search in a month, but I want to narrow down.

I'll work in Lansdowne, so people have told me of the benefits and downsides of Herndon, Reston, etc. However I was wondering if there are thoughts on what would work best.

I'm 33.
Girlfriend is working on following me out.
Am fired up about job, will travel a lot, so Dulles will be home for a good portion of year.
Have dealt with 40 minute commute in Detroit for last two years, and I've been told of what to expect with traffic.
Don't want to eat at a chain restaurant ever again.
Want to be close to a few cool bars where we can hang out, have a few and have easy cab options if we have too much fun.
Kids and schools aren't a thought at this point
Jog a great deal.
Love to golf
Have lived in two major college towns in Michigan and loved it.

From my research, Arlington seems absolutely ideal. However I think the commute and loans needed to buy gas would drive me nuts.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 07:26 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,042,957 times
If you were a 25 year old working in DC or Tyson's, Arlington would be perfect.
But it is a long haul from Arlington to Lansdowne and Dulles. And there are not many convenient, decent, and affordable golf courses near Arlington.
Given your circumstances, I'd look in Leesburg. Or Reston, for that matter.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,348,949 times
or herndon

Old 06-07-2008, 09:23 AM

2,005 posts, read 3,527,842 times
Default Leesburg or Reston

Both Leesburg and Reston have good non-chain restaurants (Cafesono in Reston is currently our favorite) and golf. I'm not too up on bars, but do go for a few at Lakesidde Tavern which is walking distance from home. I love being close to Dulles - $20 taxi ride including the tip! Leesburg would probably be a better commute for you but Reston would give your girlfriend more options to find a job. I commute in to DC while my husband commutes to Herndon. The jogging trails in Reston are the best! Check out Reston.org for a trail map. I think there are about 50 miles of trails.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:22 AM

136 posts, read 362,882 times
Whats wrong with all these responders, especially if your girlfriend is following you out. Lansdowne, in Loudoun County, is between Ashburn and Leesburg and Ashburn has really come into its own. and you can commute to work within 10 minutes without getting on a major road. Lots of bars in the area, lots of resturants especially in Ashburn, Leesburg, Sterling, close to shopping mall. I mean, its suburbia, however, there is no one in their right mind that would do that commute to Arlington unless they work there and live in Loudoun. Now Lansdowne has gorgeous communities as well. Mostly single family, while ashburn has townhouses and condo in addition to single family.
Herndon is very diverse

Old 06-08-2008, 01:47 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,101,538 times
I love the Reston Town Center. Lots of upscale shopping and great restaurants. There is even an outdoor skating rink during the winter.

I've heard that Leesburg has some really wonderful outlet stores but I haven't had the opportunity to check them out yet.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,642,391 times
for your age and what you want I'd say Reston Town center is about as close to Arlington as you can get and still have a decent commute. you'll be going opposite most of the traffic on rt 7 so I'd say it would take about 30min on avg. Once you get familiar with the area and some back roads I'd say you could get there in 20minutes.
It will be more $$$ than Loudoun county though.

Cascades area in sterling is another place I'd look. There are a few bars and resturants in walking distance from some of the townhomes and condos etc... 20 minutes easy to Landsdowne.

Leesburg, is different because it is an old historic town, so you have the charm to go with that. (search threads about Leesburg) the downtown area is thriving with resturants, shopping and a little movie theater. They are some TH within walking distance to old town. And a ton not too far away.
You also have the outlet malls etc... and the town itself has some great local resturants. as well as your chain types.

you can get to landsdowne in about 15minutes on Riverside pky (runs right into landsdowne blvd and you never have to get on rt7) during rush hour it may take 20minutes etc...

Ashburn is another option, it has some bars resturants etc...it's alittle "vanilla" to me, master planned community and strip malls. suburbia quantified BUT...some people love it. they have a great sports pavillion and walking trials thrughout. bonus would be about a 10minute drive to landsdowne. jump on Claiborne and you are there (no light for rt 7!)
(see thread on Ashburn)

so thats where I'd look. esp to begin new in the area. after awhile and research driving in to Arlington you may decide that you want to suck up the hour commute and live there. But until you are more familiar with areas etc... go for a short commute and time to adjust to your job etc... hey you might land a better one right in Arlington in a year!

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia