U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 AM

430 posts, read 1,118,866 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a job in this area. I had been told to advoid this area due to high cost of renting. Is this true. We are from Michigan and we have had a hard time with ecomony here I don't want to move for a job and then have all the paycheck go into rent like they seem to do in New York. How is the weather in that area? i'm wondering about what the savings would be in the winter or summer on heat and utilities verus Michigan
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 08:52 AM

2,738 posts, read 7,826,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimberly View Post
My husband was offered a job in this area. I had been told to advoid this area due to high cost of renting. Is this true. We are from Michigan and we have had a hard time with ecomony here I don't want to move for a job and then have all the paycheck go into rent like they seem to do in New York. How is the weather in that area? i'm wondering about what the savings would be in the winter or summer on heat and utilities verus Michigan

Get out of Michigan...First things first mimberly... NoVa is not Michigan or NY. This is like another planet compaired to up there. There are plenty "I mean plenty" of jobs here to go around. The weather is much better in the winter, but more humid than where you live in the summer. The traffic is a nightmare, and you have to plan around it. My utilities are average 110 for electric and 160 for gas for 3500 sqft home. You can actually make enough to purchase a place, think before you buy and take your time researching the right areas. Fredricksburg has a VRE station and if you want to get a job in DC, Quantico, Ft. Belvoir, etc.. you can take public transportation. 95 sucks and it's backed up pretty bad during rush hour.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:41 AM

My husband is actually in LOcating and the job is in Fredericksburg. I was told to stay away from areas around DC. The other possiblity is in the Sulfolk area. Yes, sadly Michigan is not doing well and in turn we didn't do well. It is so ironic that in the late 50's my Dad who has passes away now came from Richmond Virginia to Michigan to live with some other relatives who came from Virginia to fiond work in Michigan. Now how many years later we have to leave that very state to find work.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:41 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,887,077 times
Mimberly - I do not think the cost of living is that in the greater Fredericksburg area. And the fact that your husband will not be commuting to NoVA/DC will be a huge benefit for you. Give us an idea of what you are looking for... purchase, rental, # of BR/BA, kids/no kids, etc. and we should be able to help you out. I know EricD will pop up soon and try to sell you on his subdivision down in Caroline County, and I used to be in Spotsylvania and sing the praises for that county. So you can search for any threads/posts by the two of us to do a little research, but give us the above info and we can probably help you out a bit more.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:56 PM

We will need to rent a 3-4 bedroom. I will be honest we are loosing out home here. I didn't want to say that as I'm embrassed. We 3 years ago both had great jobs, we became foster parents and did that for the last six years and adopted 3 kids and just finished the last one. My husband last fall worked three jobs but we just couldn't keep up. We own a modular home that we bought brand new and has been falling apart since we sign the title. We knew that we had to get out of this state and that would be the only way to try and make it. My husband is in Minnesota and hates it. Its the weather. He was offered a job several months ago from a company in Sulfolk. It was the first one and we didn't rreally have a clue. To be homest it is really hard to leave a place that you have known all your life as we both grew up in Michigan. Our family and friends are here. But we know that our kids need us to provide and we have to. My husband was just contacted by the company that offered him a job in Sulfolk and offered him another job in Fredericksburg, with a possiblity of a job in Sulfolk again. When I researched Sulfolk awhile ago it seem very expensive but Frederickburg seem more expensive. We just want a chance, we have three drug exposed adopted kids they are loud and need room to run. We have our 15 year old who is in High School. Here in Michigan we live in the country and his High school is small. We are good people I just don't want to end up in a bad part of town and have to rent a place that is falling apart because we can't get anyone to rent to us. Why not just stay in Minnesota. Well I'm not cutting anyone down but I thought it would be like Michigan and it isn't it rains everyday. My husband works outside and his feet have sores on them from being wet all the time. My Dad was born in Richmond and in the 50's came to MIchigan to live with other family that came here for work. He dies when I was 5. We would visit there sometimes when I was growing up to visit family. I haven't been there and lost touch with the family I did know. I justy feel and I know it doesn't make sense a connection to my Dad and where he came from to live in Virginia. But if renting is so out iof reach in either of these areas then we may have to rent in Minnesota. We will be ready to join my husband in JUly wherever he is.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:25 PM

741 posts, read 3,723,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
I know EricD will pop up soon and try to sell you on his subdivision down in Caroline County, and I used to be in Spotsylvania and sing the praises for that county.
Hey now, sometimes I recommend Idlewild, or Lee's Parke, or some places in Richmond like Brandermill and such. It all depends on the person posting.

But of course I'd recommend my community, since my wife and I did a TON of research, and obviously picked the place that we thought was best.

Anyways, we should be a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimberly View Post
We will need to rent a 3-4 bedroom.
How much per month would you be willing to pay in rent? In general, anything under $1000 will not be that great. (Either really small, old, falling apart, in a bad part of town, or all four.)

Quote:
My husband was just contacted by the company that offered him a job in Sulfolk and offered him another job in Fredericksburg, with a possiblity of a job in Sulfolk again.
Would you maybe want to move someplace in between, incase he has to switch jobs? Maybe look into Ashland? That way he'd be well under an hour's drive from either location. The schools there are good, and rent is cheaper than Fredericksburg.

Quote:
We are good people I just don't want to end up in a bad part of town and have to rent a place that is falling apart because we can't get anyone to rent to us.
We'll all try our best to help you.

But we'd need to know a price range before we can make recommendations. (though I am assuming that the cheaper, the better)

Old 06-08-2008, 09:16 AM

Well in MInnesota we are looking at 800-1000. In your area I don't know if we could find something between 1000-1200. My husband has yet to connect to the manager to see where we could live. In Sufolk with the first offer he could live 60 miles from that town. I would rather be in a less populated area. In Minnesota there is a lay off in the winter which is concerning to us. They dod get prestty bad winters. We are fro Michigan but I had heard that there winters are worse. I 'm not that thrilled with snow anymore. I in my 40's and as I get older the snow does to. Like I said my three adopted kids can be loud so we would have a problem living in a apartment group as two of them have sensory issues and are moving all the time and don't sleep well. I also worked here part time and hope to find something when we get the kids settled.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:57 AM

741 posts, read 3,723,955 times
I did a quick search in Craigs list for you...

This one is $1150 a month on 7 acres in the countryside. (Caroline county, south of Fredericksburg) 3 bedrooms, 2 baths
1700 Sq Ft Rancher on 7 acres 5 minutes from 95 in Caroline County (http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/apa/700618081.html - broken link)

This one is $1195 a month, on 5 acres, west of Fredericksburg in Spotsylvania county (good schools) 3 bedrooms, 2 baths
@@@Rambler on 5 wooded acres@@@ (http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/apa/707736593.html - broken link)

This one is $1050 per month in a gated lake community in Caroline County (About 20 miles south of Fredericksburg) It is also 3 bedrooms, 2 baths
2 Bath Home in Gated Lake Community for 12 month lease (http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/apa/709974031.html - broken link)

This one is only $900 per month, but is 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, and is in Lake of the Woods, a large lake community west of Fredericksburg in Orange County.
Gated Community 3/1 (http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/apa/709423984.html - broken link)

I hope this helps some.

As far as weather goes, we haven't had more than a couple inches of snow for several years... and even when it does snow, it's all melted by the next day.

The weather just south of Fredericksburg is very different than to the west. If you move west of Fredericksburg you might get 5 inches of snow, while to the south might only get 1 or 2 inches. It's strange how only a few miles can make a difference.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:15 PM

Thank You so much. I just told my husband this morning that it looks like it would not work out. I really want to come to your area. The job in Sulfolk that he was told about as well pays higher because it is a management position. But the supervisior isn't for sure if that job will open up. I have a few other questiions. Did you get those lisyings off the craig list? Would you be able to find more homes in a local paper verus the craig list. Also what is the cost of living for other things in the area. In Michigan gas is over 4.00. Some food prices have gone up like cooking oil. Also we have a adopted African American daughter she is 5. Where we live in Michigan it is rural and there isn't a lot of people of color. In Minnesota there are less. What about Virginia. This is important to me as I want her to grow up arouind people of all races. Are kids ages are 15, 6, 5, 17 months and we have three out on their own. Please let me know where you found those homes. Right now my husband is in MInnesota and rents a room. Someone has loaned him a bed andTV. If he would take this job he would take the Amtrak to the area. Because we are so close to joining him most likley in mid july we are thinking it would be easier to just rent a place. He might need a cheap hotel room for a week or so. Is that a possiblity. Around her you can find a reasonable room for 30.00 a night. Nothing fancy but we may be the only ones. I would rather he rented a room for a few weeks to get to discover the area but he is 45 and not a college student. In Minnesota he has a room in a large home like more of a boarding house and they all can use the kitchen each room has their own key and lock and they share the bathroom as well.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:06 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,887,077 times
I did a quick MLS search of Hanover county and did find two rentals, both 3 bedrooms and $1000 or under. One sits on about 3 acres, but only has 1 bathroom.

When will you know for certain which position your husband will pick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia