U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,378,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimberly View Post
I just need to ask. My husband was just offered a job in Fredericksburg and both of us together won't make 140,000 a year. I guess there is no point to even consider a move.
If you can find cities near you, this calculator can help:

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Fredericksburg isn't on it, but Richmond is; F is about an hour north of Richmond, I think, and because it's less urban, probably is a bit cheaper to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:59 AM

2,544 posts, read 5,138,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
If you can find cities near you, this calculator can help:

Cost of Living comparison calculator

Fredericksburg isn't on it, but Richmond is; F is about an hour north of Richmond, I think, and because it's less urban, probably is a bit cheaper to live in.

I dont believe the 2 piece chicken is that expensive here!!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 AM

3,216 posts, read 7,670,267 times
Depending on where you mean in Northern Virginia the prices can fluctuate. The area is a lot bigger than people realize. I found Fredericksburg to be pretty cheap (as a poor college student), and if you live and work in the area it's great. If you have to commute to DC, that's where it can be a pain.

As far as the original question, if you add my and my roommate's salaries together we make about $100,000 (and most of that is hers). We are definitely not living like "minimum wage," and many others get by on the same or less. Buying a property will probably be more expensive here, but depending on your standards it's not necessarily completely out of your reach.

Regarding traffic, I've heard it's pretty comparable to Atlanta, maybe a little worse (especially outside of the beltway). However, public transit is better. Where are you looking to live? Walk to a metro? Bus to a metro? Drive to work? Close-in or further out? Urban or suburban? Working DC or in VA/MD? All of these things will change the rent that you'll be looking at (and yes, just a few miles in this area can make a world of difference).

Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 AM

5,206 posts, read 5,107,449 times
My household income is below 140K and we're doing just fine. We live in a close in, older, smaller single family home and we have two kids. I've been a stay at home mom for the last 8 years.

We love living in Fairfax County - the schools and parks are wonderful.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 AM

430 posts, read 786,916 times
Where is any can you live around Fredericks burg and find a small High School.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 PM

834 posts, read 2,306,936 times
The OP has no kids, why does he need a big SFH out in the burbs?

In DC, you can live in a hip, close-in neighborhood with other young people and avoid the traffic and have fun. Just settle for a smaller place than you're used to. Especially since you're renting. Just find an apartment in a fun 'hood and you'll be fine.

$140k is plenty of dough for a young childless couple anywhere you go. But if you were moving to Manhattan you wouldn't expect to buy a SFH (especially since they don't exist) or even a townhouse unless you were a multi-millionaire. That doesn't mean you can't live in New York. It just means you have to live like a New Yorker. Same with the DC area, but on a different scale.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,147 times
Losts of questions.....I just recieved a Job offer to work in Crystal City. I am looking in the south west to rent until the kids get out of school. What is a good income to request (100,000), More is better but what is realistic, to support two households? what about Middle Schools? What can I espect to pay for basic services?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:58 AM

1,168 posts, read 3,682,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satuartett21 View Post
Losts of questions.....I just recieved a Job offer to work in Crystal City. I am looking in the south west to rent until the kids get out of school. What is a good income to request (100,000), More is better but what is realistic, to support two households? what about Middle Schools? What can I espect to pay for basic services?
Being "realistic" we would have to know the job and your experience level to give a salary estimate of what you might be paid. You can't be a grocery clerk and ask for $100,000 because that's how much you want... know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia