Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy some land (1 acre) up around falls church area or surrounding cities. I have been checking every month and it seems to me that a lot of land is overpriced. For instance, I see many 1 acre lots selling for 400k to 1+ M but the homes next to these lots are also worth 400k to 1+ M but also has a newly built 3000-6000 sq. foot home. It seems to me that if I buy that lot, I am basically giving the owner a brand new house as profit. I check the county's assessor and other appraisal websites to find the cost of the homes and lots next to these lots. The land prices have been relatively stable for over a year due to perhaps their location but it is a bit excessive to pay profit that is equivalent to a brand new home... the land has not been sold for over a year (and I suspect longer since I don't know how long they were there before I started checking)... I think the land owners aren't selling because their property taxes are very low and so they can hold out as long as they want... Is there a website that can allow me to purchase land at a more reasonable price? Perhaps the websites I am checking aren't listing every land for sale in the area...or can I buy directly from the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 09:31 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
How much do you think it will cost to build the home? I think it should cost you no more than $100-200k.

Whats happening is the land owners probably bought the land for so high, now the price has dropped, and taxes are cheap, and assesment is getting lower, they're not going to drop the price. It seems to be affordable for the owner to keep the land and sell in the future.

Just wait to make your purchase after the County impliments a tax hike, and the land price should drop.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:45 PM

264 posts, read 854,589 times
Default Sorry to disagree

We rebuilt a house with 1/2 an acre- not into McMansion but a 2500 sq ft home.. we paid for many upgrades but it cost 300K and that was cheap (we feel it now by lousy quality- again we picked details such as hardwood flors, bathroom fixtures- appliances (kitchen) was not included in quote but was installed byt contractor)..
So really 330K with many fix ups after wards- yea- relfection of our contractor..

we do look around and consider redoing our home elsewhere (but keeping in mind we actually do have 2 kids versus thinking we wanted 2 kids)..hth

Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 PM

231 posts, read 455,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
How much do you think it will cost to build the home? I think it should cost you no more than $100-200k.

Whats happening is the land owners probably bought the land for so high, now the price has dropped, and taxes are cheap, and assessment is getting lower, they're not going to drop the price. It seems to be affordable for the owner to keep the land and sell in the future.

Just wait to make your purchase after the County impliments a tax hike, and the land price should drop.
The national average to build a home is about $80.00 a square foot. Given labor costs and materials costs here, bank on $100 a square foot. So, a stock house at 2,500 sq. ft. with builders grade materials is going to run you close to $250,000. Start adding in vanities, soak tubs, quartz counter tops, stainless appliances, and you're easily going to top $350,000.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times
OMG - I started reading these posts and immediately began thinking - "in what world is the OP living in?". Then, I realized the post was 4 years old; prior to the crash. Now i get it....

Old 07-25-2012, 09:11 PM

231 posts, read 455,471 times
I really think with all the Zombie threads running around, there needs to be an auto lock feature on any thread that has gone without a post for 12 months.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
Or posters could take a second and check the date in the upper left hand corner.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
City-Data now likes when threads are revived by new members as many can still be relevant. Of course, unless one prepared to tear down older homes, there are probably about as few truly open and available spaces to build on now as there was when the thread started four years ago. (At least when one is thinking of Alexandria/Arlington/Fairfax/eastern Loudoun).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia