Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:24 AM

12 posts, read 43,827 times

Advertisements

How is Annandale 22003, inside the Beltway? Good for a family with kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:56 PM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
mmm...Annandale 22003 outside the beltway is substantially better as the school systems largely feed into Woodson HS, which is considered a lot better than Annandale HS. If you do a search for Annandale there's a thread where several of us went into more detail with this regarding Canterbury Woods and Wakefield Forest ES's.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
mmm...Annandale 22003 outside the beltway is substantially better as the school systems largely feed into Woodson HS, which is considered a lot better than Annandale HS. If you do a search for Annandale there's a thread where several of us went into more detail with this regarding Canterbury Woods and Wakefield Forest ES's.
Thanks. the thing is, we've not found any listings at the moment for that area outside the beltway, but there is a listing that would suit us inside, pretty much at the north end of the zip.

So I'm not so much asking what would be better, as how is this area? Anything that should scare me off? Or is it okay?

It's always better to be in a good school system; however, we homeschool, so I'm not as concerned with which schools feed into where.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:45 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Annandale is pretty, affordable, and has lots of Asians.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 AM

Is it a safe area? How's the crime?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenarie View Post
Thanks. the thing is, we've not found any listings at the moment for that area outside the beltway, but there is a listing that would suit us inside, pretty much at the north end of the zip.

So I'm not so much asking what would be better, as how is this area? Anything that should scare me off? Or is it okay?

It's always better to be in a good school system; however, we homeschool, so I'm not as concerned with which schools feed into where.
Crime is fine, neighborhood is fine, commute is fine to most places. The northern tip of Annandale is right next to INOVA Fairfax Hospital, close to Dunn Loring and Merrifield. A lot of people don't realize Annandale 22003 stretches all the way up there. Buy with confidence, and welcome to Northern Virginia!

(and check out some of the independent Korean eateries in Annandale! Yum!)

Old 06-12-2008, 07:33 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I've lived in Annandale for 50 years....and it ain't what it used to be.

Stay away from the Heritage Drive/ Patriot Village area. The CVS drugstore in Heritage Mall was hit in a smash 'n grab robbery recently.

And the day laborer problem in Annadale is about as bad as anywhere.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I've lived in Annandale for 50 years....and it ain't what it used to be.

Stay away from the Heritage Drive/ Patriot Village area. The CVS drugstore in Heritage Mall was hit in a smash 'n grab robbery recently.

And the day laborer problem in Annadale is about as bad as anywhere.
Note to our friend - that area's not in the northern part of 22003, it's actually in the southern part, across from Annandale HS. Patriot Village is a rental community, and there are lots of garden style condos and rentals there.

Annandale has changed dramatically from when I grew up there - I remember when the CVS mentioned above was a People's Drug. Annandale is substantially Asian (primarily Vietnamese and Korean) where it previously was not. I don't think the crime is any worse (and may be better!) than Fairfax, Springfield, Alexandria, Burke...

The main knock on Annandale is that unless you're in the Woodson school district (which a good portion of Annandale outside the beltway is), the schools are often subpar compared to Fairfax County schools generally. That shouldn't affect our homeschooling friend, though.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:53 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
Note to our friend - that area's not in the northern part of 22003, it's actually in the southern part, across from Annandale HS. Patriot Village is a rental community, and there are lots of garden style condos and rentals there.

Annandale has changed dramatically from when I grew up there - I remember when the CVS mentioned above was a People's Drug. Annandale is substantially Asian (primarily Vietnamese and Korean) where it previously was not. I don't think the crime is any worse (and may be better!) than Fairfax, Springfield, Alexandria, Burke...

The main knock on Annandale is that unless you're in the Woodson school district (which a good portion of Annandale outside the beltway is), the schools are often subpar compared to Fairfax County schools generally. That shouldn't affect our homeschooling friend, though.
I actually used to live at Patriot Village back in the mid to late 90's. We had a nice sized apartment, the rent was pretty affordable and the neighborhood was diverse. The first year or two was great. Then very suddenly (around '96) things started changing over there: Gangs hanging out in the store parking lot. We heard some gunshots at night. Increasing reports of property crimes. We didn't feel as safe so we bought a house in the Burke/Springfield area.

Every now and again, we hear reports about a gang related murder or beating/stabbing/shooting over at Patriot Village or the apartments close to Fairfax Hospital. I don't think it happens very often and the violence does not seem to be directed at non-gang members. But that type of crime is pretty unusual (and almost unheard of) in most parts of Fairfax County. So it tends to stick out when it does happen.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:56 PM

148 posts, read 629,400 times
Have lived in Annandale for 14 years and no issues - though the parts on 236 do have day labor problems. Schools situation is tricky so check MS and HS (have seen many people move because of that) but the area is great..safe, close to DC, metro, has trails etc and does not have as many people as areas out west such as Fairlakes, Loudon etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia