U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:20 PM

6 posts, read 57,787 times

Advertisements

Over The Last Year, I Have Been Diligently Looking For A Home For My Family. I Didn't Want To Be Hooked With Any One Realtor At All. For Every Open House I Attended, I Made It Crystal Clear That I Had No Desire To Be Bound To Any One Realtor. I Thought It Be Best To Be Up Front With Any Realtor If They Wanted To Send Me Properties. Most Were Okay With Sending Me Listings To My Email Account And Maybe Two Out Of The Lot Were Not Interested In Helping Me If I Was Not Willing To Have A Written Contract With Them. That Was Fine With Me As I Wanted No Strings Attached. I Figured If Mary Sent Me A Listing That I Wanted To See...then I Would Call Mary. The Same Courtesy Would Be Across The Board With Any Realtor.

One Realtor Who Called Me Up From A Open House (whom I Too Had Made Myself Very Clear That I Did Not Want To Sign Any Agreement), Sent Me Some Fabulous Listings And Showed Me A Few. One Of The Homes She Sent Me, I Put An Offer On But Lost Out To A Higher Offer. Several Months Would Pass And This Realtor Sent Me Other Listings. One Of The Listings Was In A Perfect Location And Just Right For Our Family. I Saw It And Put A Full Price Offer On It But Again...five Other Families Offered And I Lost Out To Another High Bidder.

In Making The Second Offer, My Realtor Had Written In The Paperwork That He Was Representing Me And The End Of My Contract Is Six Months Out. In My Excitement Of Placing The Offer, I Didn't Even Realize That It Had Been Written In. It Was Never Discussed And I Feel He Was Very Sneaky In Doing So. I Would Not Find Out Till A Week Later When I Went To Trash The Paperwork On The House I Did Not Get. Something Told Me To Look Over It Again And To My Surprise, I Had Initialed The Page. I Am Legally Bound. I Have Not Brought This Up To The Realtor And Am Pretty Angry That He Did This Without Even Discussing It With Me. I Just Think It Was A Really Low Move Especially Since I Was Very Upfront And Honest In Telling This Realtor How I Did Not Want To Be Tied To Any One Realtor.

Since I Have Signed This Document, This Realtor Is Not Sending Me Anything. It Has Been One Month And Not One Listing Has Come My Way! I Want To Take Advantage Of The Market And I Feel Like I'm Under This Persons Thumb. I Called Him The Other Day And Told Him I Hadn't Heard From Him In A Month. I Know Theres Lots Of Houses Out There, Especially In This Market. All He Tells Me When I Call Is, "i Haven't Found Anything For Your Family Yet". We End The Call With, "if You Find Anything, Give Me A Call". He Is Letting Me Do His Job, Plain And Simple. He Knows I Am Legally Bound To Him And He Is Waiting For Me Find The House And Call Him. I Do All The Work And He Gets The Commission!

Any One Know If There Is A Legal Way Out Of A Buyers Contract When The Realtor Isn't Providing Any Service At All?

Thanks, T
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 07:24 PM

734 posts, read 1,733,000 times
Tracey,

I can't answer your question because I don't know for sure. But if you ever want people to read your posts, please only capitalize the first word of a sentence and proper names. Proper punctuation is greatly appreciated in message boards. Capitalizing every word is annoying and unnecessary.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Default sorry!

Thanks for the tip! I will do so next time.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:38 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,361,588 times
Yea I second that mike from NIU. Why is there a cap in front of every word? Is this thread some kind of joke?

Old 06-15-2008, 06:30 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,369,540 times
Annoying? Why is it annoying? They are enw to the forum and just ddn't know the "proper" way to do it. And who cares? I think a lot of people cap every word in a title as it is a title...you know when you did papers in college and used Cap for the title?
Give people a little break!

Oh, and I am not sure of the answer either, but I suggest you post on the Realtor forum as they may be able to give you some help. GOod luck

Old 06-15-2008, 06:42 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,627,667 times
I will try to answer this, although some of the info is not clear. When you say it was written in the paper work what do you mean? The written offer will say who each agent is representing but that is only part of that one contract and does not carry any further obligation on anyone's part. If you signed the one page form that says disclosure of brokerage relationship, that is a disclosure only so all parties are aware of who is representing whom. If you signed an exclusive right to represent (that is a buyer agency agreement)then you have signed a contract to use that one agent to buy a home. If that is the case, call the agent's broker and ask to be released from the contract or reassigned to another agent in the brokerage. In this case, your contract is with the broker, not the specific agent.

On another note, if you did not sign an exclusive buyer broker agreement with me, I would not spend much effort looking for a home for you either. Why should I work for you if there is a chance you will use another agent to buy a home from information I have sent you? That puts no food on my table.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:27 AM

Why would you assume this thread is some kind of a joke? Because I simply capitalized the letters in my post? Gimme a break, it's my first time on here. Man, I'd hate to see how one would respond if i didn't know how to spell!

Old 06-15-2008, 11:37 AM

Thanks for your helpful information, I will talk to the agent's broker and see if they will release me from the contract. After double checking, I do in fact have an "Exclusive Right To Represent Buyer Agreement" initialed by me. Since signing this agreement, I would think the Realtor would be keen on sending me listings and so forth but I have had nothing in a months time. Not a phone call, a listing...nothing. I am pre-approved and would like to buy a home and I feel like there could be some great homes just passing me by. This is exactly what I was afraid of by signing with anyone. Once they had me, I would be at thier mercy. Lesson learned. Read carefully before you sign!

Old 06-15-2008, 12:11 PM

226 posts, read 680,299 times
In my opinion, private e-mails to traceyjam would have been the nicest and polite way to make a suggestion on not using capital letters etc. in her posts. I'm sure traceyjam was somewhat embarassed and upset when told in this public messageboard/forum. I know I would have been. Hopefully, she will continue to use the messageboard in the future.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 12,289 times
I agree on all fronts! Give the lady a break on the capital letters! Your comment about you doing all the work and the realtor getting the commission is well received here. We are in an identical situation. Our realtor has bumbled 4 deals and yet has no sense of urgency in helping us find a house and we are closing on our house in 2 weeks. I would never sign a buyer-agency agreement again. I understand that just a few bad realtors can ruin this for the hard-working realtors, but I think that once you experience this... it is a very valid point and others should be more understanding of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia