U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2007, 09:49 PM

53 posts, read 351,032 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am contemplating a move to Virginia with my son and I find from reading all these posts lately that living close to D.C. is very expensive, even though that would be ideal.

My do want to live and work in Virginia, but be able to drive/metro to Washington, DC on my days off to visit the museums, etc.

Can anyone give my names of cities or towns in Virginia that are within a range of a 45 minute/70 miles to drive to the capitol??

(I'm not sure of mileage I think it's about 70 miles, but I know from where I live right now in Kissimmee, it's about 1 hour to Daytona Beach - - so, I am trying to do that in Virginia to DC)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Signed,
Virginia/DC bound
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 10:15 PM

112 posts, read 573,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeingFloridaForever View Post
Hello All,

I am contemplating a move to Virginia with my son and I find from reading all these posts lately that living close to D.C. is very expensive, even though that would be ideal.

My do want to live and work in Virginia, but be able to drive/metro to Washington, DC on my days off to visit the museums, etc.

Can anyone give my names of cities or towns in Virginia that are within a range of a 45 minute/70 miles to drive to the capitol??
Seventy miles in 45 minutes? Wow, they really move-on in Florida. Seriously, you have the right attitude but I think you would get tired of going into DC after awhile. Anyway, I'll take my shot at some of the safer towns that are about 50 miles out. I'm listing towns and not housing developments or places with a post office and zip code. I'll go clockwise; the rest of you can fill in with closer places and ones I'm not familiar with.

Berryville (Clark County)
Middleburg (nice but expensive)
The Plains (ditto)
Marshall
Haymarket (maybe, getting suburbaized)
Warrenton (becoming a small city)
Occoquan

Old 01-10-2007, 10:33 PM

Talking Many thanks

Thanks theburro,

Ha! Ha!,, I used MapQuest to figure out the mileage to Daytona from Kissimmee....I only know that it takes about 45 mins on a good day-- 1 hour on a crowded day..Mapquest gave me the mileage...maybe they used the path that the "burro" used back in 1899. ( I have no concept of mileage, either )

Thank you for the names.

I do want to be close to DC, but it seems out of my financial league.

I figure I could drive as close to DC as I can without it getting tedious.

If you think of any other names, please send me a note?!

Teecee

Old 01-10-2007, 10:39 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,446,758 times
Fredericksburg is around 50 miles outside of DC as well, although it's a bit more expensive than other far-flung exurbs but other localities in Stafford and Spotsylvania (40-60 miles outside of DC) are cheaper.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 AM

dullnboring,

Great advice. I am open to suggestions.

I really love Washington's historic monuments/museums and excitement of the various areas!!!!!!!!!

I want to be close.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:54 AM

146 posts, read 594,982 times
Do you love traffic, too? How about $700,000 for a 2,400 sq. foot home, or $550,000 for a townhouse? Do I hear $400k for a condo?
Look at Google maps. If you're looking to drive in on a weekend, anywhere from Fredericksburg out to West Virginia is within 50 miles.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:55 PM

112 posts, read 573,231 times
Triple-F: I comprehend your goal. In my estimation, stoplights = frustration, wasted time and gas. So you need routes that will get you into and out of DC w/o stoplights. There's really just 3 possibilities: I-95, I-66, and VA Rt. 7-connect to Rt. 267 (Greenway). On weekdays, you have a very narrow window of opportunity: morning rush finally dies-down about 10:30, and PM rush can start building-up as early as 2:30. You will also have to fight for parking in DC near the museums.

I'm going to throw out a few more possibilities in addition to my previous:
Stephens City
Nokesville
Woodbridge
Fredericksburg (as mentioned by dnb)
Strasburg (Shenandoah Valley, stretching your mileage cap)

Old 01-11-2007, 06:52 PM

Unhappy WOW! I'm now officially bummed out now!!

theburro, jmarkd,

I appreciate very much the candid responses to my request!!

Short of "W" loaning me his Presidental helicopter....I am out of luck to drive and visit my favourite city!! Let alone, LIVE nearby!!!

That is so sad.

I live in a city that doesn't have that much congestion on the roads (or maybe, I just don't drive around as much as other people) and I usually avoid the "rush" hour peaks. Only two roads available to get to/from my job.

I avoid I-4 to Orlando...in fact, I never go to Orlando.

I wish there was a way to get to Washington on days off, etc. without sitting in gridlock forever.

I thank everyone who wrote to me.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:40 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,007,902 times
Default The problem living near Washington DC

Unfortunately, with the gridlock around the nations' capital now, it has become impossible to even visit Washington. Virginia is is in the stone age when it comes to transportation issues, especially urban rail in northern VA.
I live about 4 hours away in Virginia and I especially liked to visit the museums for the day and drive back home, but that has forever ended!!
Not only is it impossible to get INTO Washington it is also IMPOSSIBLE to even park at one of the many METRO lots or VRE lots where one could conceivably take a commuter train. Now, when I visit town I usually make a hotel reservation, at least I have a place to park. What a waste for such a great City!!

Old 01-12-2007, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 46,668 times
Stephens City is a small town close to everything and just about anything.
In fact I am selling my modular home to move to the western states to be close to family there. This is a great town and I really will miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia