Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 PM

19 posts, read 73,466 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about buying a 1983 single family home in pretty good shape right near Fairfax Hospital in a neighborhood called Prosperity Heights. It is within walking distance of the FX hospital and not too far from the Mobil Oil Headquarters. My question is... are these safe areas to live near? I am hoping there are no oil rigs or gas on the Mobil Oil headquarters - does anyone know if it's just offices? I would be afraid of leaks if they had gas or oil there.

Also, are there health side effects to living near a hospital because of all the tv and radio, and communication waves?

thanks!!
KRUELLA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 05:49 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
There are no oil rigs at the Mobil site.
As far as the health effects of living near the hospital, you're much more likely to survive a major heart attack or gunshot wound if you can walk to the ER.
But, seriously, Fairfax is a major trauma center, with ambulances and helicopters arriving on a regular basis. Take the potential noise factor into consideration.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:54 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
And they are about to widen the Beltway. Make sure the house you're interested in isn't about to be grabbed by the State. Or end up so close the the Beltway as to be unliveable.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 AM

17,351 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
And they are about to widen the Beltway. Make sure the house you're interested in isn't about to be grabbed by the State. Or end up so close the the Beltway as to be unliveable.
I didn't know they were planning to widen the Beltway. I would love to see the plans for that and what neighborhoods will be involved.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,326,599 times
You may hear an occasional helicoptor flying above your house. Also, the beltway noise may be loud in the winter. The area is ok to live at.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
When are the plans to widen the beltway? IS there a website that can tell me more about when and where and what neighborhoods will be affected?

Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruella View Post
When are the plans to widen the beltway? IS there a website that can tell me more about when and where and what neighborhoods will be affected?
HOV/Bus/HOT lanes

</SPAN>Major Projects

Interstates 95/395/495 HOV/Bus/HOT Lanes Projects

Main | I-95/395 | I-495
FAQs | I-95/395 history
I-495 history
Proposals
I-95/395 | I-495
Fact sheets
I-95/395 | I-495
Transit/TDM study

Links
VirginiaHOTLanes.com
Fluor-Transurban's HOV/Bus/HOT lanes project site

Department of Rail and Public Transportation
Web site for the I-95/395 Transit Plan and
Transportation Demand Management Study

Get involved</SPAN>
VDOT's public meeting schedule Comments
Give us your thoughts.

What’s Being Done?

The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is partnering with Fluor-Transurban in the development of high-occupancy toll (HOT) lane projects for Interstates 95/395 and the Capital Beltway/Interstate 495. The projects are designed to help alleviate congestion.
The I-95/395 project will expand the existing reversible high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes on I-95/395 from two to three lanes and extend two new lanes south to Massaponax from Eads Street near the Pentagon.
Two HOV/Bus/HOT lanes will be added on the Capital Beltway in each direction between the Springfield Interchange and just north of the Dulles Toll Road.
All of these lanes will become HOV/Bus/HOT lanes – meaning buses and carpools with three or more people can continue to use the lanes for free, while non-HOV motorists can choose to pay a toll and access the lanes as well.
The new I-95/395 lanes will be reversible, meaning traffic operations personnel will use them to move traffic into the region during peak in-bound commute times, and out of the region during out-bound peak periods, like the HOV lanes are used today. The Capital Beltway HOV/Bus/HOT lanes will operate in both directions

Old 06-18-2008, 11:43 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,884,555 times
Quote:
Also, are there health side effects to living near a hospital because of all the tv and radio, and communication waves?
since you asked the question here I don't know why there is another thread...

But, I haven't heard of health dangers due to RADIO/TV towers...
Cell phone towers have had some press about potential problems as well as ELECTRICAL towers...

It's easy to just use Goggle for these types of "general" questions, as I don't believe thereis any data etc...

My bigger concern would be the noise and traffic andthe widening of the road.

but if you are concerned then you will probably worry about the entire time you live there...so I'd say find a different area.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
since you asked the question here I don't know why there is another thread...

But, I haven't heard of health dangers due to RADIO/TV towers...
Cell phone towers have had some press about potential problems as well as ELECTRICAL towers...

It's easy to just use Goggle for these types of "general" questions, as I don't believe thereis any data etc...

My bigger concern would be the noise and traffic andthe widening of the road.

but if you are concerned then you will probably worry about the entire time you live there...so I'd say find a different area.
thanks for the info. I have read on the internet scientific studies done in Australia and the UK that say there is an increase of certain forms of cancer in children living near tv and radio towers (apparently they give off more radiation than cell phone towers). But the FCC denies there is a problem and I think people just don't know the answer.

I think the house is far enough behind FX hospital that it would not be effected by the widening of the beltway, but it may get noise from the hospital.

I guess you are right, I should not live there if I am going to worry about it.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruella View Post
thanks for the info. I have read on the internet scientific studies done in Australia and the UK that say there is an increase of certain forms of cancer in children living near tv and radio towers (apparently they give off more radiation than cell phone towers). But the FCC denies there is a problem and I think people just don't know the answer.

I think the house is far enough behind FX hospital that it would not be effected by the widening of the beltway, but it may get noise from the hospital.

I guess you are right, I should not live there if I am going to worry about it.
If you're going to worry about every little thing, then put yourself in a bubble. Hell, the air pollution out in fairfax near the beltway has to be worse than some radio waves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia