U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 PM

23 posts, read 86,849 times

Advertisements

The police here are really nice here. In Texas, if throw a cigarette out you will be pulled over and ticketed.

I have heard that there are checkpoints in this area, but I have never actually seen any. In San Antonio, there are checkpoints almost every day and they are random. Also, if you get pulled over and don't have insurance they tow your car and take you away to jail, plus there is a huge fine.

The fines are not too bad here, at least you got a warning. That's unheard of in Texas, like I said the police are nice here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 10:46 PM

138 posts, read 141,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espressoo View Post
Cops aren't always the best drivers or perfect role models. Nor do they always enforce the law when it's being violated right in front of them.
Wasn't saying they were just recalling an incident.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:49 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,002,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonChris View Post
Yesterday, as I was driving to pick up my son from school, I had to make a left turn at a busy intersection. The light was green, so I pulled halfway into the intersection and waited for oncoming traffic to clear. As the light turned yellow I inched forward and then as the light turn red, and oncoming traffic stopped, I completed my left hand turn. As I drove into the school parking lot a police officer pulled me over then lectured me for 10 minutes, telling me that I had technically run a red light. She said this was especially dangerous considering I had a 2 year old in the back seat. She let me off with a warning, so aside from being embarrassed in front of my older son's school (a couple of kids yelled out, "ooh, look, John's dad is in trouble"), this isn't a big deal. But I'm curious. Is what I did really illegal in Virginia (Arlington)? I was actually taught in my drivers ed class that you can complete a left hand turn on a red light
It's not illegal to clear the intersection if you're already in it when the light turns yellow. My guess is that the cop saw you inching up after the light turned yellow, and determined (perhaps incorrectly) that you entered the intersection on the yellow. If you entered on the green, I see nothing illegal about what you did.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:37 PM

4,619 posts, read 3,796,925 times
You made a LEGAL LEFT TURN. If you enter the intersection before the light turns red, YOU OWN THE INTERSECTION even if the light turns red while you are in it. The police officer was incorrect.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,192 times
Default From the Virigina DMV website

This is from
Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/vadm/vadm2-7b.asp - broken link)

Quote:
"Caution--a steady yellow light or arrow warns that the light is about to change. If you have not entered the intersection, you should come to a stop. If you are already in the intersection, continue moving in order to clear it. Speeding up to beat the light could cause a crash."

Clearly this is legal.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,130 times
California DMV actually suggests doing that maneuver

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpR0aXP6JLo]YouTube - California DMV - Driving Tests # 2 Failure to Yield[/url]

Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 AM

595 posts, read 1,579,406 times
The people you are yielding to, who speed up at the yellow, and are still in the intersection when it turns red makes this problem worse. There are some intersections, where the only way to make a left is to do what you did. Did the lady policeman have sideburns? Or just a Fred Flintstone haircut?

Old 07-29-2008, 06:23 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,439,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonChris View Post
Yesterday, as I was driving to pick up my son from school, I had to make a left turn at a busy intersection. The light was green, so I pulled halfway into the intersection and waited for oncoming traffic to clear. As the light turned yellow I inched forward and then as the light turn red, and oncoming traffic stopped, I completed my left hand turn. As I drove into the school parking lot a police officer pulled me over then lectured me for 10 minutes, telling me that I had technically run a red light. She said this was especially dangerous considering I had a 2 year old in the back seat. She let me off with a warning, so aside from being embarrassed in front of my older son's school (a couple of kids yelled out, "ooh, look, John's dad is in trouble"), this isn't a big deal. But I'm curious. Is what I did really illegal in Virginia (Arlington)? I was actually taught in my drivers ed class that you can complete a left hand turn on a red light
This is exactly the reason why I always carry VA DMV's driving rules guide in my car....because police officers themselves do not know all the rules.

To answer your question, only ONE vehicle is permitted to come into the intersection for a left turn while the signal is green. All other vehicles waiting to make a left must stay behind the white line. And when the signal turns amber and the oncoming traffic has stopped, the vehicle in the intersection can make a PERFECTLY LEGAL left turn. The problem is that oncoming traffic does not realize that it is ILLEGAL not to slow down and stop when they see an amber light; instead there are some numbnuts who will accelerate and zoom past. This is why any driver who is in the intersection for a left waits until the light shows red rather than amber....can't blame the driver for being cautious and legal at the same time! Also, there is at least a 3 second delay between one red and an adjoining green so this turn ends up being safe. What is ILLEGAL is if you come into the intersection when the light is/turns amber or if you came into the intersection when there already is a car ahead of you.

It is highly annoying when you are the second car wanting to make a left on a busy road and the driver ahead of you does not know the legitimate driving rule described above. Where I live, there is no dedicated left turn only signal so you are always yielding to a never-ending stream of traffic.

And lastly, among the one more of those "legitimate driving rules" lost on people is when to stop for a school bus. You DO NOT have to stop if it's a double lane road with a divider and the school bus in the opposite direction (oncoming traffic) has a STOP sign flashing.

-K

Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,002,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
To answer your question, only ONE vehicle is permitted to come into the intersection for a left turn while the signal is green. All other vehicles waiting to make a left must stay behind the white line.
Is there a citation for that? I'm not saying you're wrong, just curious, because I hadn't heard that one before. It was my understanding that, if it is safe for you to enter the intersection, you may do so. I've never heard the "one car at a time" rule.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM

3,216 posts, read 7,641,468 times
In high school I got into a car accident when I made a left turn on red (I went into the intersection during a green light, just missed the arrow and decided not to run it, so I waited until all traffic stopped--this happened when the light was turning from yellow to red) and someone in the oncoming lane tried to run the yellow and hit me. Basically it was right-of-way vs. running a yellow/red issue, and I was found to not be at fault (Pennsylvania).

If you go into the intersection on a green and can't possibly turn until the light turns red (not exactly unheard of), then I've always thought it's legal. It's the safest option, and based on the citations people posted, it looks to be legal in VA too. If you don't turn, or try to back up, you're more likely to cause an accident or gridlock. As for waiting behind the line to turn on a green, many people don't have 45 minutes to kill making one small turn, not to mention I'd foresee you eventually either getting rammed from behind by another driver, or get hit when someone gets sick of waiting and tries to go around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia