U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:32 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,362,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromTX View Post
Oh yeah I forget to mention Five Guys Hamburgers is terrible and overpriced. Ya'll do not know what a good hamburger is.
GASP! Take that back.

If you really wanna take the best out of the public library system, you have to learn how to reserve books/dvds. The libraries are popular and most items are spread out between branches. There should be a used book store in Reston (Lake Anne?)..

Some (if not all?) Loudoun County Harris Teeters are open 24 hrs.

Wow for the first time I find myself defending this area, I must be feeling like home then.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:42 AM

621 posts, read 2,920,980 times
There are a few 24 hr grocery stores you just have to look for them. It used to be..not sure if it still is...the giant on Old Keene Mill Rd is 24 hrs except sundays. The shoppers in Burke is open until midnight. The Harris Teeter by my house is open 24 hrs, but I live in Haymarket so that's out of the question. There are many Mcdonalds open 24 hrs like the one on Rolling Rd. It seems like you're doing a lot of complaining and not much looking or research. The same thing with the library...I didn't even know people still went to the library. Most NOVA people use the internet to do research etc. So maybe we are a little more advanced. But then again I would have to side with everyone else...IF you HATE it so much WHY are you still here??? Go back to SATX if it's so great. No one is putting a gun to your head and making you stay here. I'm sure most people around you would be happy as well if you went back, because with your miserable demeanor I don't think you could possibly be pleasant to be around with all the b*tching and moaning.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:51 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,311,871 times
I'll disagree with all of the original post on the grounds that it is no more than baseless deliberate whine and rant. That similar recent diatribes by the same person may be found on various other boards (including Yahoo/Canada?) suggests that the OP is engaged in nothing more than a two-bit troll campaign.

Gunfire in Lake Braddock? Substandard schools and libraries? Kids don't have homework? You might as well complain that August isn't hot and humid enough. Sorry, San Antonio...zero credibility points for you on any of this...

Last edited by saganista; 06-20-2008 at 06:15 AM..

Old 06-20-2008, 06:03 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,311,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaforcex View Post
The only thing that I don't like about NoVa or VA in general is that I need to pay property taxes for my cars.
Every jurisdiction has to pay for the services it provides, and each uses a mix of revenue sources to secure the necessary funds. Living in NOVA, you enjoy one of the higehst levels of public services in the country, yet even with the so-called Car Tax, you face the lowest overall tax burden in the metro DC region.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:08 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,859,475 times
Oh no, not another homesick Texan....ARRGGHHHH!!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:21 AM

1,765 posts, read 6,367,246 times
I am not a Texas native but moved here from Houston. I've lived all over, and I think NOVA is just fine. It's much better than most places I've lived. Although I don't know much about the suburbs outside of Arlington and Alexandria.

IF I have to go out to the NOVA burbs, I will, but I don't like sprawl.

TX is sprawl defined. People there think nothing of a 60 mile round trip to go eat dinner.

The only thing I liked about my multiple trips to San Antonio over the years was the fact that I always managed to get a room on the River Walk and stay in that little area. The rest of it always looked like a dump to me.

Subjective. Ain't it?

Old 06-20-2008, 06:43 AM

1,950 posts, read 5,302,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromTX View Post
There are lot of services I can't get here like I did in San Antonio.

I moved here from San Antonio, Texas a few years ago. The first thing I noticed was that there are no 24 hour grocery stores in Fairfax. In San Antonio, they have 24 hour grocery stores and restaurants.

There's nothing open 24 hours here. In San Antonio, if I was hungry at 1:00AM I could get some food anywhere and then shop afterward in a nearby grocery.

Why is Northern VA just now getting fiber optic cable ? It has been available in San Antonio since 1999. Why has taken this long ? I actually complained because the neighborhood I was living in didn't have fiber optics. After complaining, I started a partition and soon enough it became a reality.

The public libraries are really terrible and outdated. They don't have that many new books, and the choice of DVD is limited. In addition, they close too early. At least stay open until 11:00 or 12:00.

Oh and speaking of books, there is not one good used bookstore here. If there is one please let me know.

The schools systems here are pretty low, except maybe TJ, but even that school has issues. Many of the schools only require 2 years of science and mathematics. I live near Lake Braddock high school and occasionally I will hear gun shots. There are constantly police scoping out the high school campus. I am worried about where to send my children. At least in San Antonio, there were plenty of excellent schools that require testing for admittance.

I just feel like the quality of life is not good. Is it really worth living here?

Oh yeah I forget to mention Five Guys Hamburgers is terrible and overpriced. Ya'll do not know what a good hamburger is.

It's too bad you are so miserable in a place you live in. I can't imagine having to live someplace and not trying to make the best of it. I hope one day you don't look back and regret the way you approached this time in your life. Time spent complaining is time NOT spent living.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:53 AM

7,897 posts, read 7,236,434 times
If your salary in San Antonio would be about the same as in the Washington area, you're probably underqualified for most of the jobs in the area. It doesn't make a lot of sense to relocate to another area for a low-end job unless the job market in your area is so bad that none could be located or your husband's job was moved to this area.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:16 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,031,384 times
OP-

I'm sorry that your time here in Northern Virginia is so miserable. I too, suggest that you consider moving back to Texas. Some people are just not made for here (and that's just perfectly fine).

However, I do feel you are totally approaching this as a "glass half empty" sort of approach. NoVA has consistently ranked as a place with one of the top school systems in the nation. The people here are educated, classy, and worldly---albeit we can often be a tad self centered.

As for burgers? Different Five Guys' vary. The Five Guys' I had back home was amazing. The one currently near my house is terrible. It all depends on the restaurant.

Libraries-- I'm not sure why anyone is going to the public libraries here. We have a resource that Texas does not have---its called the Library of Congress. The biggest library (I believe?) in the US. Its in our backyard. Utilize it.

Salary/Jobs--once again, this area is targeted toward working, educated professionals with many many degrees. If one does not hold up to such standards, I can see how the job market may seem a bit gloomy. However, to suggest that the quality of life here is not good is pretty off base--- we have world-class monuments and museums in our backyard. Mountains just a few hours away. The ocean is just a few hours away. Educated people, cultural happenings---I don't think I'd ever find a place that can replicate the quality of life NoVA provides (Maybe in Cali? But I don't wanna die in an earthquake)

Once again, please consider moving back. I would hate to hear my beloved home state being slandered by someone who simply cannot adjust.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:16 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,347,057 times
I went to Dallas for a few weeks for work and the people are really nice down there. I also went to a baseball game in Arlington and the seats were $5. The steaks were great as well. Also the sweet potato fries and baked beans were awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia