Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 PM

23 posts, read 125,591 times

Advertisements

There are lot of services I can't get here like I did in San Antonio.

I moved here from San Antonio, Texas a few years ago. The first thing I noticed was that there are no 24 hour grocery stores in Fairfax. In San Antonio, they have 24 hour grocery stores and restaurants.

There's nothing open 24 hours here. In San Antonio, if I was hungry at 1:00AM I could get some food anywhere and then shop afterward in a nearby grocery.

Why is Northern VA just now getting fiber optic cable ? It has been available in San Antonio since 1999. Why has taken this long ? I actually complained because the neighborhood I was living in didn't have fiber optics. After complaining, I started a partition and soon enough it became a reality.

The public libraries are really terrible and outdated. They don't have that many new books, and the choice of DVD is limited. In addition, they close too early. At least stay open until 11:00 or 12:00.

Oh and speaking of books, there is not one good used bookstore here. If there is one please let me know.

The schools systems here are pretty low, except maybe TJ, but even that school has issues. Many of the schools only require 2 years of science and mathematics. I live near Lake Braddock high school and occasionally I will hear gun shots. There are constantly police scoping out the high school campus. I am worried about where to send my children. At least in San Antonio, there were plenty of excellent schools that require testing for admittance.

I just feel like the quality of life is not good. Is it really worth living here?

Oh yeah I forget to mention Five Guys Hamburgers is terrible and overpriced. Ya'll do not know what a good hamburger is.

EDIT: For Fairfax Mom a few problems with your statement.

I have been to Fairfax library it is a joke. It is small and the self check out stations (come on those have been around for 10 years). For people here it maybe state of the art, but not compared to the libraries in San Antonio.

My neighbors kids are going there and I know the problems all to well. I even thought about attending one of the PTA conferences. The school curriculum is bad and it's an over crowded school.

I have seen the ratings, but these don't mean that much. A lot of teachers there don't even assign and grade homework. Go Figure!

EDIT: I whine because everybody saids this place is so good, but the reality is that it is not.

The richest county,hahaha, yeah if you adjust cost of living. The houses here suck. For 400,000 I could buy I really nice house in Texas. My salary there would almost be the same. I am thinking about moving out this dump.

Last edited by newcomerfromTX; 06-19-2008 at 09:07 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 08:52 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,183 times
May I suggest moving back to San Antonio?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:54 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,149 times
NOVA has the best schools in the country - we even get listed as tops in Time magazine - have you looked at our school ratings?

And Lake Braddock high school does not have shootings - it is one of the safest areas I have ever seen. Look around - Burke is full of young prosperous families living in luxury homes. You must be hearing a car backfiring or shooting practice or something.

Go to Fairfax City Library - brand new - state-of-the-art.

I am not a native and I have some problems with the area - but - come on - Fairfax County is one of the richest counties in the US.
San Antonio must really be a paradise.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,074 times
Southwest has two flights that leave from Dulles that will be able to get you back to SATX (The Deuce and Dime) tomorrow! One leaving right at 7:00 AM, with a change of planes in Chicago and you'll arrive back to San Antonio at 12:40 PM.

If that is too early, there is an afternoon flight that leaves at 2:40 and will get you back there at 9:25 PM!

Need help packing?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:07 PM

The richest county,hahaha, yeah if you adjust cost of living. The houses here suck. For 400,000 I could buy I really nice house in Texas. My salary there would almost be the same. I am thinking about moving from here. Ok I was a little harsh.

Last edited by newcomerfromTX; 06-19-2008 at 09:17 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 09:13 PM

21 posts, read 77,549 times
I too coming from TX (Plano) and I agreed that we need more 24-hr shops here. I recently found that Harris Teeters (Grocery) opens 24 Hr so that's good for me. The only thing that I don't like about NoVa or VA in general is that I need to pay property taxes for my cars. Other than that, not too much complaints. I wouldn't call this a dump.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:17 PM

Sorry, I was a little harsh. At least I get to visit TX on some weekends.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:18 PM

I will be alright, we are human. There are some good things. I will have to adapt.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 AM

84 posts, read 485,694 times
Default Why stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromTX View Post
There are lot of services I can't get here like I did in San Antonio.

I moved here from San Antonio, Texas a few years ago. The first thing I noticed was that there are no 24 hour grocery stores in Fairfax. In San Antonio, they have 24 hour grocery stores and restaurants.

I can feel your pain there. At least a 24 hour pharmacy would be nice to have.

There's nothing open 24 hours here. In San Antonio, if I was hungry at 1:00AM I could get some food anywhere and then shop afterward in a nearby grocery.

No fast food places even open late?

Why is Northern VA just now getting fiber optic cable ? It has been available in San Antonio since 1999. Why has taken this long ? I actually complained because the neighborhood I was living in didn't have fiber optics. After complaining, I started a partition and soon enough it became a reality.

The public libraries are really terrible and outdated. They don't have that many new books, and the choice of DVD is limited. In addition, they close too early. At least stay open until 11:00 or 12:00.

Who goes to public libraries anymore for research, let alone movies? Internet + NetFlix/Blockbuster FTW.

Oh and speaking of books, there is not one good used bookstore here. If there is one please let me know.

Even if there were used book stores around I'd be willing to bet their selection would be pretty small. Why not just search Amazon.com or the countless other places online to find cheap used books?

The schools systems here are pretty low, except maybe TJ, but even that school has issues. Many of the schools only require 2 years of science and mathematics. I live near Lake Braddock high school and occasionally I will hear gun shots. There are constantly police scoping out the high school campus. I am worried about where to send my children. At least in San Antonio, there were plenty of excellent schools that require testing for admittance.

I just feel like the quality of life is not good. Is it really worth living here?

Oh yeah I forget to mention Five Guys Hamburgers is terrible and overpriced. Ya'll do not know what a good hamburger is.

EDIT: For Fairfax Mom a few problems with your statement.

I have been to Fairfax library it is a joke. It is small and the self check out stations (come on those have been around for 10 years). For people here it maybe state of the art, but not compared to the libraries in San Antonio.

My neighbors kids are going there and I know the problems all to well. I even thought about attending one of the PTA conferences. The school curriculum is bad and it's an over crowded school.

I have seen the ratings, but these don't mean that much. A lot of teachers there don't even assign and grade homework. Go Figure!

EDIT: I whine because everybody saids this place is so good, but the reality is that it is not.

The richest county,hahaha, yeah if you adjust cost of living. The houses here suck. For 400,000 I could buy I really nice house in Texas. My salary there would almost be the same. I am thinking about moving out this dump.

Why did you move to VA in the first place? It sounds like you didn't even do any research on the area before moving and would be much better off back in Texas. Not that that's a bad thing, but if you hate everything about VA why not just move back?

Old 06-20-2008, 03:10 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
newcomerfromTX,

Even though i'll side with a Northern VA hater on most occasions, i disagree with a couple things.

1. Five Guys is a VERY good resturant. A little overpriced yes but they more than make up for it with taste.

2. Usually Virginia schools outrank Texas schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia