U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 16,503 times

Advertisements

Hi every one. I am looking for Townhouses in the WINDING BROOK community and interested to know about this community. I am more concern about nearby elementry school as I am moving from Burke due to my job in Chantilly. One more thing I am curious about is the neighbourhood. As I am an asian and interested to know the area is favourable for immigrants. Do update me if any one has any info on this matter or further. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,544 times
Default From a Resident

Winding Brook is fine. I have lived here for 5 years. It has a very diverse population. Everyone I have met so far has been friendly.There are a few other threads on this board mentioning that there are a lot of units for sale and the HOA fee as being possible problems but I think they are overstated. I think the reason so many are for sale started with people trying to realize a profit on their home during the housing boom. Check the average home prices listed in the recent sales on the Washington Post website and you will see that home values in this community went up almost %150 between 1999 and 2006. As with the rest of the market things have cooled off considerably since then but prices are still well above their 2000 levels. In the current market nothing is selling quickly so the for sale signs stick around longer. These aren't full townhomes - there are two upper level condos above each bottom level condo. This density makes the "for sale" signs seem closer together than you would see in regular townhome community giving an appearance that there is a higher ratio of units for sale than in other communities. The advantage to this layout is that everyone in this community has their own backyard. It may not be the largest backyard in VA but there is plenty of room for a picnic table and a grill.The HOA fee covers pool maintenance costs, water/sewage, grounds keeping in common areas, maintenance on common elements (roof, gutters, etc.), snow removal, garbage removal including large items once a week, property insurance, and two parking spots among other things which is why it may seem high compared to other communities.All in all its a nice affordable community in NOVA.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 12,823 times
Default Not too bad

I've lived in the Winding Brook community for about four years. There definitely is no shortage of immigrants living here. Although some of them are not very welcome as they tend to overboard and cause litter in the neighborhood. The Association have formed a bond with the police and is working towards making the place what it used to be. Down the road is a section 8 (government assisted housing) community. No real problem. Perhaps a few bad kids, but you're going to find those in any community that you go. There's been increased police presence lately, but mostly due to domestic violence or police targeting overboarders. I'm considering moving out in a year or two so that I can have a bigger place for my family. If you want to buy, you should buy now. Realtor.com has listed some properties well below what they were selling for a couple of years back.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 12,823 times
Default Brookfield Elementary

I believe the school that your kids will go to will be Brookfield elementary. I went there when I was a kid and it was a very good school. I'm not quite sure if this is still the case. A neighbor of mine says no as the testing scores have gone lower. Not sure if that is due to an influx of immigrant families and many of the students are ESL. When I lived in that neighborhood, the population was predominantly white. Now, there's more hispanics, asians, blacks, etc. The better school is allegedly Greenbriar east off Majestic Lane or nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia