U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 09:04 PM

578 posts, read 1,878,699 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Centreville area since I was a kid in the late 80s.

I don't remember...but I do remember it when there was no new braddock road, no centreville sq, no trinity, no multiplex movie theater, and those things.

1) What I'd like to know is...what exactly was Centreville like back in the late 80s?
-Was it considered rural then?
-Was it about as developed as Gainesville is today?

2) Were there still active farms...and what trinity, centreville sq, machen road...were they around...were they dirt roads...forests?

3) When exactly did Centreville transform from rural to suburban...and why did it happen?
-Was it profits by landowners....apathy by old residents....or overpowering by new arrivals?

4) Does anybody have any pictures of Centreville back then in the 80s...semi recent but less developed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:02 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,906,551 times
I don't know a lot about C'ville, but I do know that London Towne was built in the late 60's. It couldn't have been too rural if they were throwing up townhouses out there 40 years ago.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:47 PM

I dunno...one developement of townhomes could still be rural if it was an aberration surronded by farms/trees.

I see places in Fauquier County that are farms and then you see a few isolated 'eyesoar' patches....in an otherwise rural area.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,401,114 times
There are about seven people in Centreville today for every one who was there in 1980. The same sort of thing will be true to one degree or another across most of what was then called the "western county", a phrase that had more or less succeeded "outside the Beltway" in defining where "nowhere" began. I've been in the area since 1969, but I can't recall having gone to Centreville prior to 1990. Probably I did and just don't remember it, but there was nothing there, so it's possible that I just never had any reason to go there. Back then, Dulles was pretty much thought of as an irrelevant backwater boondoggle that had no credibility against the far more covenient National Airport, and of course, there was no "tech" yet to form the basis of the Tech Corridor. Obviously, things have changed a great deal in that area over the past 25-30 years...

Old 06-24-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
There are about seven people in Centreville today for every one who was there in 1980. The same sort of thing will be true to one degree or another across most of what was then called the "western county", a phrase that had more or less succeeded "outside the Beltway" in defining where "nowhere" began. I've been in the area since 1969, but I can't recall having gone to Centreville prior to 1990. Probably I did and just don't remember it, but there was nothing there, so it's possible that I just never had any reason to go there. Back then, Dulles was pretty much thought of as an irrelevant backwater boondoggle that had no credibility against the far more covenient National Airport, and of course, there was no "tech" yet to form the basis of the Tech Corridor. Obviously, things have changed a great deal in that area over the past 25-30 years...
Sad...sad.
When people said West County...they meant rural?
When did this become suburbia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia