Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,308,668 times

Advertisements

What's a NIMBY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 07:12 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,104,483 times
NIMBY = "Not In My Back Yard".

Old 06-28-2008, 11:37 PM

578 posts, read 2,094,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I have to agree. As I said in another recent thread, unless/until the federal government spreads the wealth of jobs more evenly around the country - or people become content to live in condos and other urban infill projects - rural outposts will continue to become exurbs and edge cities.
I disagree.
I think with strict zoning requirements and tariffs on greedy developers you can keep Fauquier rural.
People aren't going to drive 45 miles or 60 to work with these gas prices.
I'm glad for the gas prices being high...they should help keep this epidemic down.

Also..what's an exurb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
This nostalgia for open space is such a hypocritical argument, the same people crying about destruction of forest don't exactly live in a tent in the woods. Was/is rural Virginia so much better? I mean don't get me wrong these farms are great to go out in the country and I guess stare at but what more can you really do...if farming were insanely profitable I doubt people would be selling to developers all the time.

I personally like living in a thriving metropolitan area where new things are constantly being built and GASP...replacing open space. I'm not really directing this completely to you blue, but seriously, the DC area probably has the highest concentration of NIMBY's in the world. Dislike growth? Head to southern WV where I grew up, I can guarantee you will never have to fight new development there. The economy is also dreadful, houses are worth nothing and diversity consists of Southern Baptist or American Baptist.
So you think RT 29/50 in Fairfax City then is a model of what Fauquier should become.
Makes one of us.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:22 PM

2,018 posts, read 4,593,079 times
Wow great job at not understanding what I said... keep up the good work! I find it so amusing that I live in Arlington, an inner burb where I use mass transit often, walk to restaurants/bars, and live close to the office, meanwhile someone who lives outside the beltway in a sprawling part of western Fairfax is trying to lecture me on the importance of sustainable lifestyles and protecting the areas rural environment.

"Strict zoning requirements will keep Faquier rural" what fantasy world are you living in? They already have those in parts of Fairfax, Loudoun, PW, and Montgomery County...have they worked? I certainly haven't seen it. What I have seen is growth hopping from those areas into the next development friendly area right down the road. Ever wonder why Culpepper and Orange Counties are booming or why Eastern Panhandle of WV, Winchester and Hagerstown are experiencing massive population growth? It's because officials in the inner counties have taken it upon themselves to try and stop sprawl, the only good job they have done is to accelerate it further out.

If you hate Rt.28/50 in Fairfax City and you think the sprawl in western Fairfax is bad, you need only to thank yourself and your neighbors for that. You've mentioned repeated times that you moved out to Centreville in 1989, how are you exempt from contributing to sprawl? Stop pretending that enhanced government is the solution to everything.

PS, an exurb is basically a fast growing semi rural/semi suburban area beyond a traditional suburban region. Examples would be the Warrenton area, most of Loudoun County, Frederick MD, etc...

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 06-29-2008 at 05:49 PM..

Old 06-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
Wow great job at not understanding what I said... keep up the good work! I find it so amusing that I live in Arlington, an inner burb where I use mass transit often, walk to restaurants/bars, and live close to the office, meanwhile someone who lives outside the beltway in a sprawling part of western Fairfax is trying to lecture me on the importance of sustainable lifestyles and protecting the areas rural environment.

"Strict zoning requirements will keep Faquier rural" what fantasy world are you living in? They already have those in parts of Fairfax, Loudoun, PW, and Montgomery County...have they worked? I certainly haven't seen it. What I have seen is growth hopping from those areas into the next development friendly area right down the road. Ever wonder why Culpepper and Orange Counties are booming or why Eastern Panhandle of WV, Winchester and Hagerstown are experiencing massive population growth? It's because officials in the inner counties have taken it upon themselves to try and stop sprawl, the only good job they have done is to accelerate it further out.

If you hate Rt.28/50 in Fairfax City and you think the sprawl in western Fairfax is bad, you need only to thank yourself and your neighbors for that. You've mentioned repeated times that you moved out to Centreville in 1989, how are you exempt from contributing to sprawl? Stop pretending that enhanced government is the solution to everything.

PS, an exurb is basically a fast growing semi rural/semi suburban area beyond a traditional suburban region. Examples would be the Warrenton area, most of Loudoun County, Frederick MD, etc...
First...when I moved here...I was a kid...so it's not like I CHOOSE to move.

Second...strict zoning does work...if more people do it and do NOT allow exemptions.
Montgomery kept the west rural...if Frederick, Hagerstown, and the E panhandle of WV had been willing to show some guts....and done so as a coalition...this could have been prevented.

I highly doubt in any case had Montgomery been accomodating to more sprawl in the w it would have prevented leapfrogging...those developers have greedy personalities.

Also...Warrenton isn't fast growing...the county has had modest growth...and Orange County, VA....that's basically Charlottsville...THAT IS NOT experiencing NOVA related growth plaques.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:54 PM

2,018 posts, read 4,593,079 times
This will be my last post to you on this particular thread. You are completely irrational in your arguments so there is no point in even responding after this. Here goes...

1.) Regardless of whether or not you chose to move the bottom line is you are still living out in one of the most sprawled out places in the region. Your suburban life is a virtual carbon copy of everything you keep ranting against..actions speak louder than words.

2.) Every business has greed and if you don't think so then once again you are delusional and have no real concept of how the world works. I fail to understand why people like you think this is somehow limited solely to the development industry.

3.) Strict growth controls don't work! Montgomery County might have that "agricultural reserve" full of abandoned farms but the remainder of the county is hardly a poster child for preservation. Neighborhoods in Bethesda, Rockville, Germantown, etc. look JUST LIKE the cookie cutter ones in Centreville, Chantilly, and Ashburn. It takes more than everyone having "guts" a county usually will need to develop this little thing called a tax base and one way of doing that is approving residential development and the commercial development that supercedes it. Last time I checked counties that were predominantly farms werent exactly the pinnacles of economic development.

4.) Do some research before you post. The fact that you didn't even know what an exurb was but were lecturing people on sprawl doesn't make you look well versed on the subject.

Saying Warrenton isn't fast growing is absolutely ridiculous. Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed. Gee, 30.93 % growth since 2000 doesn't exactly sound modest to me. If we want to get technical Centreville has only grown 7.3% since 2000. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Obviously Centreville is much bigger but still that is quite a large discrepancy in growth levels. Warrenton is surrounded by housing developments, congested highways and big box retail centers. Maybe you should check it out on one of your seemingly endless drives around the region's development frontiers.

Orange County is also experiencing growth pains from Northern VA and to a much lesser extent Charlottesville. Any major real estate publication in this area has it listed along with Culpepper County for new housing developments. The town of Orange is 80 miles from Tysons Corner, there are large numbers of people who commute 90+ miles to the metro area from WV, Charlottesville, Hagerstown, and southeast PA. Again basic research will show you that. Driven to Extremes - washingtonpost.com

And again...Washington's Road to Outward Growth (washingtonpost.com)

In the latter you might want to check out the "Limits to Smart Growth" article as well.

I hope you find someplace that is free from the evil horror that is sprawl, I somehow doubt that anywhere in America will be that place.

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 05:01 AM..

Old 06-30-2008, 02:24 AM

I disagree.

Monty County's growth worked for them...if the surronding counties cooperated and formed a coalition to enact similar zoning....we would have less sprawl and preserved rural heritage and less eyesores.

I'm not saying you aren't going to have eyesoars like Fairfax City...but with smart growth...you can concentrate them into smaller pockets....while keeping a vast amount of space preserved...as in West Monty.

Thus...if I was radical...I'd say no growth.
I understand growth is unavoidable...but it can managed and rural Fauquir can be kept.

Have strict zoning laws by a coalition...plan ahead...set aside some areas for growth....while others remain the same.

Also....Orange County, VA might have some growth...but not much...I read the article....thanks for the link...it's fringe but not commonplace.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:35 PM

166 posts, read 152,666 times
Why can't you northern transplants leave Virginia alone!?!?! STOP DESTROYING OUR BEAUTIFUL STATE AND GO DESTROY ANOTHER STATE!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia