Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 02:30 PM

487 posts, read 1,354,831 times

Advertisements

Just moved into the Area.
Many thanks to all here for the great information on the area, commuting what to expect and much more.
We ended up just south on Manassas, about 20 mins from the Broad Run airport VRA station.
I take the VRE into downtown DC to the L’Enfant station which is like curb service to my office at the FAA.
The total commute takes me 1:30 each way. But the relaxation factor is real high. The VRE is a nice way to commute.
We decided to locate out here because after looking at 30 or 40 townhomes, I realized that townhome living just isn’t for us. We ended up with a ranch on about an acre lot.
(Side note, anybody know of a good lawn service out here?)
Now for the main Question
Where is the best place to see the fireworks in DC?
Don’t want to hassle with the security lines on the Mall.
Would like to stay close to a metro station.
We just need room for two buts on the grass.
And a good Restaurant where we can have dinner before the fireworks.
Thanks to all again.

P.S. If you dont want to broadcast your favorite spot to millions on the internet.
Shoot me a P.M.

Last edited by tigger37708; 06-29-2008 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 04:37 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,229,489 times
I had the best spot to watch the DC fireworks last year and I don't mind broadcasting the location because it is a bit difficult to get to and therefore not everyone will be able to get there. Go early and get a parking spot in the Roosevelt Island parking lot - early means 3 or 4 pm. Have a nice walk around the island and bring a picnic dinner. Then here is the tricky part - launch a canoe or kayak and float down to the southern tip of the island just across from the Lincoln Memorial. Magnificant spot for watching the fireworks! There will be lots of other canoes and kayaks but the area has room for all and it is too shallow for the motorboats. Make sure you put a glow stick or a light on your boat.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:12 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,633,870 times
Nope, the BEST spot is ON the River!

My "pride and joy"....my 1968 Chris*Craft 57 foot cabin cruiser will be anchored in front of the Washington Monument with 60 of my closest friends aboard.

This will be our 36th consecutive Fourth of July in this boat. We get started early, cruise all day and get to the Monument in time to find a good spot to drop the hook. When it's over, one of the air horns you'll hear blasting will be ours!

Sheesh, I might have to put out a "tip jar" this year with the price of diesel fuel! She takes 1200 gallons to fill up. We won't burn that much, but between cruising all day and running the generators (for air conditioning and cooking) we'll go through 250-300 gallons easy! :O

Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Nope, the BEST spot is ON the River!
I guess I wasn't clear.

. . . . here is the tricky part - launch a canoe or kayak ON THE RIVER and float down just below the southern tip of the island just across from the Lincoln Memorial.

Good part about my plan is that it only takes a little exercise and we all know that a little execise is good for us. No diesel required!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:42 PM

15,121 posts, read 27,611,191 times
Car54 - can my husband and I be your 61/62 best friends? LMAO

Old 06-29-2008, 10:07 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,633,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
I guess I wasn't clear.

. . . . here is the tricky part - launch a canoe or kayak ON THE RIVER and float down just below the southern tip of the island just across from the Lincoln Memorial.

Good part about my plan is that it only takes a little exercise and we all know that a little execise is good for us. No diesel required!

Oh okay, that's the ticket. And your spot at the southern tip of Roosevelt Island is a good one. Where do you launch? Why not just rent from Jack's or Thompson's? You'd probably have to get there early though.

And be sure to bring a strong flashlight to shine in the faces of powerboaters to alert them to your presence. It's easy to miss spotting a canoe in the dark.

I almost ran over a kayak one year when my radar was on the blink....PHEW!

Old 06-30-2008, 04:34 AM

487 posts, read 1,354,831 times
Have pity on a poor newcomer.
I don’t have a canoe or a boat yet
Although I am looking at a beautifully constructed 18 foot cat ketch sharpie and if I can Talk my wife into letting me buy it, this boat would be perfect for the canoe anchorage for next year.
But back to now
My wife has been stuck in Nashville all this time packing and selling the house. She is coming in for the 4th and I want to take her to a great place to see the fireworks and experience DC for the first time.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Oh okay, that's the ticket. And your spot at the southern tip of Roosevelt Island is a good one. Where do you launch? Why not just rent from Jack's or Thompson's? You'd probably have to get there early though.

And be sure to bring a strong flashlight to shine in the faces of powerboaters to alert them to your presence. It's easy to miss spotting a canoe in the dark.

I almost ran over a kayak one year when my radar was on the blink....PHEW!
I launch from the parking lot for Roosevelt Island. It is much closer than Jack's or Thompson's and makes for an easier get away after the fireworks. There were no powerboaters where I was paddling last year - I'm pretty sure that it was too shallow for your 58' CC or any power boat for that matter. That is also one of the good reasons for launching at Rooosevelt Island as power boats don't go between river right (Virginia) and the Island. I do make sure that I have glow sticks on both ends of my boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia