Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,775 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'll be moving to Old Town Alexandria this week and starting a new job in the Arlington Hall area (Arlington Blvd/Glebe Rd). I have no experience with area traffic and am wondering what the best routes might be during rush hour. An acquaintance recommended taking side roads but didn't know which ones. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:15 AM

3 posts, read 13,128 times
Default My 2 cents

I avoid Glebe Road whenever possible but you should at least give it a try to see what you think - take Mount Vernon Ave north and turn left on to W. Glebe and follow that all the way to Arlington Blvd (Route 50). The confusing part if you are looking at a map is that there are 2 Glebe roads. One is West or East Glebe and the other is North or South Glebe (Route 120). The meet up near 395 and both stop at Route 1.

I would probably take the GW Parkway to 395 South to Washington Blvd to Arlington Blvd and take side roads when there is a major traffic jam.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,775 times
Default King St?

Thanks for your thoughts. Is taking King St not a good idea? Are there lots of traffic lights and congestion?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:39 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
King St. is out of the way for where you're going. You'd go west and then back east. There are also a lot of lights, and there is some congestion during rush hour.

I like GW Parkway-395 South-Wash. Blvd.-50, like jhicks said. I'm not a fan of the Glebe Rd. route, just because I always seem to get stuck in traffic on that road.

If you find the GW Parkway to be too congested, you could try one of the routes through Del Ray (Russell Rd., Commonwealth Ave., or Mt. Vernon Ave.) to Arlington Ridge Rd. to where it links up with Wash. Blvd. and take that to 50. I think that would be faster than taking Glebe.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,828 times
I will be starting almost the exact same commute next week and was wondering for suggested routes as well. Since I normally take the metro I'm not familiar with when the height of rush hour is...I'm pretty sure I will need to be there between 8:00-8:15; would I be beating most of the traffic? Googlemaps gave me either Quaker Ln to 395 or King St. to 395, both of which I'm thinking aren't a good idea. Thanks so much guys, your help has been indispensable.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Any idea on how long that might take even??

Old 07-04-2009, 03:37 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,844 times
I used to work at Arlington Hall before the State Dept took over the campus, and I lived in the Shirlington area. Try Duke St west to Quaker Lane to Shirlington Circle. Connect there to Four Mi. Run Dr at the "Weanie Beanie" to a right onto Geo Mason Dr, then across Columbia Pike to AH. None of these roads are main commuter routes toward DC nor were they heavily travelled cross-county roads back when I did it. I doubt things have changed much because Old Town and Arlington were already pretty much built up back then.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
I used to work at Arlington Hall before the State Dept took over the campus, and I lived in the Shirlington area. Try Duke St west to Quaker Lane to Shirlington Circle. Connect there to Four Mi. Run Dr at the "Weanie Beanie" to a right onto Geo Mason Dr, then across Columbia Pike to AH. None of these roads are main commuter routes toward DC nor were they heavily travelled cross-county roads back when I did it. I doubt things have changed much because Old Town and Arlington were already pretty much built up back then.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia