U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:53 PM

284 posts, read 784,757 times

Advertisements

Er, I was your age 15 years ago, and I still couldn't bring myself to move "out" to Burke, Springfield, or Annandale (not that there's anything wrong with them, especially if you have a family and are concerned about schools).
Falls Church has metro stations, a small downtown, and shopping (Seven Corners), but I've never thought of it as a place chock full of 26 y.o. MBAs.
Try www.homesdatabase.com in addition to realtor.com. In Alexandria take look at 22314 and 22301. In Arlington, look at Crystal City (close to the Pentagon, but a decent TH in your price range will be tough), and N. Arlington (22203, 22207, 22209 - also expensive). Shirlington's another option (22206, be sure to check out Fairlington); a little less expensive, no metro, but there's likely an express bus to the Pentagon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 04:05 PM

989 posts, read 2,467,393 times
What about the Ballston area. Or are those mostly condos w/ no yards? That is a great, happening place for a young single person to be. Man I feel old...

Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 PM

755 posts, read 1,516,527 times
LOL My intentions were not to make anyone feel old :-) I really appreciate the feedback on the various areas/cities/zips, it somewhat simplifies what areas I search for through the MLS. Although I love the nightlife, I have so many friends living/renting in the district that I normally just crash by them after a night of ummm socializing :-) None of my friends in the area have dogs so they do not have the concern that I do about having to walk two dogs three times a day and two of those almost always being when it is still dark outside. Also, I am coming from a 5 bedroom home, so I do have alot of furniture/workout equipment even though I have given away quite a bit. Well that is probably more than you all wanted to know, but the more you all know the more you all can assist me...that is my hope anyway. My primary concerns are cost of course, commute to work, and accesibility to shopping. Thanks again!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
What about the Ballston area. Or are those mostly condos w/ no yards? That is a great, happening place for a young single person to be. Man I feel old...

mdcrim from what I have seen they are mostly condos with no outdoor space...and in my price range I could maybe a squeeze a one bedroom lol I did enjoy that area, however, during my four month rotation in the area.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post
Er, I was your age 15 years ago, and I still couldn't bring myself to move "out" to Burke, Springfield, or Annandale (not that there's anything wrong with them, especially if you have a family and are concerned about schools).
Falls Church has metro stations, a small downtown, and shopping (Seven Corners), but I've never thought of it as a place chock full of 26 y.o. MBAs.
Try www.homesdatabase.com in addition to realtor.com. In Alexandria take look at 22314 and 22301. In Arlington, look at Crystal City (close to the Pentagon, but a decent TH in your price range will be tough), and N. Arlington (22203, 22207, 22209 - also expensive). Shirlington's another option (22206, be sure to check out Fairlington); a little less expensive, no metro, but there's likely an express bus to the Pentagon.
Thanks for the recommendations...I am searching right now lol

Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I lived in 22311 (near King Street and 395), and loved the area. There are multiple buses to the Pentagon (7B, 7A/E/F, 25A/B/C) which took 15 minutes during rush hour, 20 on a very bad day. There are also DASH buses to King Street.
I can do with a 20 minute commute on a bad day lol... I am searching that zip code. Thank you!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 PM

2,670 posts, read 4,520,914 times
If you consider the Crystal City area (zip 22202) or Del Ray (22301), you would be close to Potomac Yard, which has all the stores you're looking for, including a new Harris Teeter. Crystal City is also close to Pentagon Row, which has a 2nd Harris Teeter and other stores you might like. With your dogs, you might consider renting a little house with a yard in Addison Heights (Crystal City - and very near 2 metros) as an alternative to a townhome. These are not nightlife hotspots but they are extremely convenient to DC and to the Pentagon, and there are a lot of people in your age range and older. The downside = cost.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,956 times
You could get a three-bedroom townhouse with a yard and probably a garage, in a very safe neighborhood, near all sorts of shopping, in Kingstowne or Island Creek. You would have a five-minute drive to the Franconia-Springfield Metro, which is six stops from the Pentagon on the Blue Line. Check out zip code 22315 on realtor.com. You'll find plenty of walking trails; both neighborhoods have pools, and Kingstowne has two fitness centers in case you want a change from using your own!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:00 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,569,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3org3 View Post
Shirlington's another option (22206, be sure to check out Fairlington); a little less expensive, no metro, but there's likely an express bus to the Pentagon.
I know for a fact that the 7A/E/F buses go through Shirlington, and it's their last stop before the Pentagon, so the ride is all but 5 minutes. There's probably more, but those are the three that I have personal experience with (and the 7E comes all the time, it drove me nuts while waiting for my 7B). You can also check out places near Arlington Ridge (22206). In addition to buses, many complexes there have shuttles to Pentagon City. Since you can't walk to a metro, it should be a little cheaper.

As far as shopping, for both of those (and the Alexandria zip code I gave you before) are close to Potomac Yard. There's a Target, huge Shopper's, Petsmart, TJ Max, Barnes & Noble, and a bunch of others I can't remember. Even though I live in DC now I still go there to do my shopping.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:36 PM

Someone mentioned on another thread that the 22206 zip has some gritty areas with gang problems...is this true? Also, are there any other areas you all can think of specifically that I should avoid? Thank you all for your detailed comments, they are etremely useful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia