U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 11:09 AM

34 posts, read 94,494 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

I just came back from my vist to Manassas and I'm a little confused.

1)First, my wife and I saw a large number of "For Sale" signs in Manassas, why?

2) We also saw new developments in MP around Centreville Rd & Liberia, and some pretty decent SFH which I believe is around the MP VRE station. Are these areas ok?

3) We drove down to the Woodbridge section (along Prince William Pkwy) and saw some new construction going on. We can probably afford the $300k range, but the question is how is the surrounding neighborhood? I read on this forum, that Dale City and Woodbridge was a no go.

4) Is it true the further you go out in the county, the better the homes and schools? Doesn't it add considerable amount of time to your commute if you live in Bristow, Gainsville, or Quantico when your traveling by VRE?

I appreciate all info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM

16 posts, read 73,749 times
I was out looking in Gainesville/Haymarket/Bristow yesterday as well I have the same question - why is housing so cheap and is it going to regain its value 5 years from now?

I think some of it is because its just so far away from the beltway and traffic always looks crazy bad. If you are commuting by car it looks horrible (not sure if that's true? or if there are just a couple hours window to avoid?)

I heard they are going to build some new malls and things out in Gainesville, can anyone confirm that?

Oh yeah, Woodbridge and Dale city are definately places to avoid if possible, neighborhoods there suck as far as I have seen..

Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,041,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMT660 View Post
Hello to all,

I just came back from my vist to Manassas and I'm a little confused.

1)First, my wife and I saw a large number of "For Sale" signs in Manassas, why?

Probably a combination of things, namely foreclosures and weariness of a long commute.

3) We drove down to the Woodbridge section (along Prince William Pkwy) and saw some new construction going on. We can probably afford the $300k range, but the question is how is the surrounding neighborhood? I read on this forum, that Dale City and Woodbridge was a no go.

While those towns aren't among the favorites on this forum, some people have pointed out specific neighborhoods where they have had positive experiences.

4) Is it true the further you go out in the county, the better the homes and schools? Doesn't it add considerable amount of time to your commute if you live in Bristow, Gainsville, or Quantico when your traveling by VRE?

I can't really speak on the first question but the answer to your second one is yes. But the perceived higher quality of life in these towns is the tradeoff for the usual extreme commute up to Fairfax County and the District.

I appreciate all info.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:00 PM

352 posts, read 1,440,286 times
There is a post I made on the thread Looking for home under $250K, no DC commute that sums things up IMHO.

Here it is, complete with a somewhat unrelated preamble:

The simple answer is both, 1st generation American and illegal immigrants. A great deal of the time around here there are mixed families where some are here legally and some aren't. Whereas Tucson has been dealing with this issue for literally decades, this is a relatively new thing for suburban counties like Prince William and Loudoun.

Prince William collectively had a ginormous cow over it during the last local election cycle, and county officials passed a resolution denying some public services to illegal immigrants, as well as creating aggressive reporting to federal immigration authorities when suspected illegal immigrants were stopped on other charges. This was recently toned down substantially as it became obvious that we don't have the money to actually do all of this fairly. Now immigration status is only checked after an arrest has been made on an unrelated incident.

There is tons of anecdotal evidence on what (if any) effect this has had on the housing market. My own personal observation is that many of these foreclosures in the past year are on first generation immigrants, of which Prince William has (had?) a somewhat higher percentage of than other Northern Virginia counties. Many of these folks did not understand the mortgages they were purchasing as they did not have experience buying property or obtaining mortgages in this country and did not have a network of knowledgeable friends and family to educate them - and were duped by folks who wanted a quick commission. As these folks got foreclosed on and moved out, the immigration resolution mentioned above got a lot of press and dissuaded other first generational immigrants (legal and illegal alike) from coming in and purchasing these homes since they were uneasy about living in Prince William County. The result is that prices dropped further than they have in other Northern Virginia counties as these properties have stayed on the market longer.

There is an abundance of opinion as to whether this is a good thing or not.

I hope this helps!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:06 PM

Tone509 & newand confused,

I find all info on this forum to be important and very worth while, but at the same time a little scary. There are more people on the fourm who view Woodbridge and Dale City as no no, but my concern is moveing into the area, is it worth the trouble compared to other areas? What I mean, is I don't want to move into an area that's just ok. Especially when it comes to schools. Is there a trade off---having a nice home in an area where the schools are somewhat ok, with a shorter commute. Or is it better to have a long commute with a nicer home and the the schools are better than ok. See my dilema

Old 07-07-2008, 01:32 PM

That might be a quandary in some parts of Prince William but not so much in Fairfax and Loudoun counties. Of course, the new dilemma would be the cost of housing in those areas; $300K would get you a fairly nice 1B condo as opposed to the SFH I suspect you're interested in.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,623,292 times
There are some very nice 3 bedroom townhomes and detached homes in good areas of Loudoun and Fairfax counties for $250,000 to $300,000. I don't know of any 1 bedroom condos that are $300,000 in Loudoun county, in Fairfax county and Arlington certainly that can be true. The main thing, is where is the workplace going to be? You do not have to drive for an hour or more each way to have a decent place to live. Get out and walk around different neighborhoods to see if it would be a good fit. Schools in Fairfax and Loudoun do have a better reputation, but there are exceptions everywhere. Don't prejudge an area, see it first.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 PM

8,106 posts, read 12,646,226 times
You can't really lump all of Woodbridge into one. Areas along Route 1 such as Featherstone with a Woodbridge address vary greatly from those in communities such as Lake Ridge, Westridge, and communities around Hylton and Forest Park High Schools such as Ashland. They are all considered Woodbridge addresses (the community of Ashland is split between having a Woodbridge and Manassas address). The community of Montclair has a Dumfries address, borders Dale City, and has good elementaries and feeds into good middle and high schools.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
There are some very nice 3 bedroom townhomes and detached homes in good areas of Loudoun and Fairfax counties for $250,000 to $300,000. I don't know of any 1 bedroom condos that are $300,000 in Loudoun county, in Fairfax county and Arlington certainly that can be true. The main thing, is where is the workplace going to be? You do not have to drive for an hour or more each way to have a decent place to live. Get out and walk around different neighborhoods to see if it would be a good fit. Schools in Fairfax and Loudoun do have a better reputation, but there are exceptions everywhere. Don't prejudge an area, see it first.
I admit that I may be off on my guesstimates about Loudoun... but I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that good THs and SFHs can be found in Fairfax for $250-300K. Has the market fallen off that much... or are many of these properties actually foreclosures?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:01 AM

The way the neighborhoods are split is some what confusing. Thanks for all the info as I will consider all the information. The area around Prince William Pkwy was real nice with all the new home construction and there was a elementry schools up the road from the new development. While those homes are more than what we can afford, the area (cleaniness, friendly, family oriented, etc) is what we are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia