U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 04:34 PM

84 posts, read 442,785 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm moving to NOVA at the end of September and will be working in McLean. Is the area good for renting? I'm mostly concerned with crime, congestion, 1b/1b rental prices ($1,100-$1,400), and the general atmosphere of the city.

Or, do you have any suggestions on nice, nearby communities that would be a quick metro ride away from McLean? Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:35 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,032,568 times
Falls Church, Vienna, Arlington comes to mind. Mclean is nice (not too crime-ridden), but fairly congested and extremely expensive.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:09 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,042,400 times
There is currently no Metro stop in McLean. If you are working there, you will have to drive or rely, at least in part, on bus transportation. The closest Metro stops are West Falls Church and Dunn Loring on the Orange Line.
In general, the further out from DC you go, the less expensive the housing. Arlington will be more expensive for comparable space/amenities. Vienna and Reston will be cheaper.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 AM

22 posts, read 77,296 times
McLean is a great area for anyone. It's close to Washington, DC and the schools are top-rated. On the downside, as others have mentioned, the Tysons area is extremely congested (but it's not an issue unless you have to drive through there) and there's no Metro stop. But the bus service works fine, and there are lines that will take you to Metro if you need it.

Chuck

Old 07-14-2008, 09:21 PM

1,430 posts, read 3,481,248 times
Depends on the part of McLean you are looking in as it covers somewhat of a large area. I interned at a company in Tysons Corner (well the one I work for full time now) for the summer five years ago and lived in McLean. I disagree that the town is for everyone. If you decide McLean is the place for you...rent in the Tysons Corner section not the main part of town in single family neighborhoods.

The place I rented was in the vicinity of Old Domionion and Kirby Road so it was pretty far back in the town. After spending a summer there and experiencing it first hand, I have mixed thoughts on the place.

It is AWESOME in terms of convenience to Tysons Corner, Arlington, DC, and the Beltway. The commercial area along Chain Bridge has some great restaurants and plenty of grocery stores. There are also some great nature preserves..Kent Gardens and Lewinsville Parks come to mind, great places to jog.

Now to the bad. I'm going to post a disclaimer before I rant as this doesn't reflect the entire population of McLean, just the ones in my above mentioned neighborhood. McLean has many great areas and welcoming people, I guess I just didn't pick the right neighborhood.

I didn't enjoy being a young single person in McLean. You can be as close to DC as you want but when everyone in your neighborhood beside you and your roommates is either an empty nester or family, you feel a little out of place. Naturally this is because McLean was designed as a family area so you can't expect a lot more than this demographic, I was just young, needed a place to live and didn't take a lot of time to look around.

My neighbors were extremely rude, always acting like we had invaded their perfect neighborhood. They seemed to ALWAYS go out of their way to make us miserable which was annoying because we NEVER caused any problems. I'm a friendly person and can get along with almost anyone, but when I have people stopping by my house and asking me to move "my car" (was never my car) to an area that isn't along their part of the sidewalk, I get slightly angry...needless to say we had a few words and I think they got the message to not come back with another stupid complaint like that.

Let's see what else. I felt like we were monitored for our speed every second on that street. Some mom would always never hesitate to make a comment that we were going above 25 mph in the neighborhood...The same moms if late to a game or meeting would fly down the street at speeds I would never consider. I can't count how many times I was almost T boned by a mini van or SUV. We had a cookout in the privacy of our own backyard one Saturday (seriously there were no more than 15 people) and you would've thought we had some massive keg party.

There is definitely an elitist attitude in most of McLean. I'm under the assumption it is that way because there are some VERY WEALTHY parts of town consisting of block after block of massive mansions. That being said, it doesn't mean that everyone who has a 22101 zip code has ten million sitting in the bank. Some people in town fail to understand that and think because their 70s split-level has McLean address they are loaded...Sorry charlie.

Crime isn't an issue at all in McLean.

Traffic is quite congested but this is DC so not even going to act like that is out of the ordinary.

Basically I would highly recommend McLean only if you are a family looking for a great suburban atmosphere with outstanding proximity to all that is great in the DC area. If young and single please enjoy the urban life while you can and live in a place like Arlington or Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or