U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:03 AM

10,593 posts, read 12,076,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
If you go to Rippon for Elementary/Middle, wouldn't you also go to Freedom for highscool? Freedom is one of the newest highschools in PWC. I have no clue about it's "rating" or how well the faculty is, but going to a newly built school should have its benifits.

I have no kids so I can't speak from that perspective, but I can remember that school was what you made out of it. Yes you can skate through school and be a slacker, get away with just barely passing. Or you can put effort into it, and get the most possible from the experience as you can. The student decides which path they take, hopefully with encouragement primarily from the parents and secondary from the teachers.

I went to Rippon Middle btw, and I'm not taking offense to your comment about the schools not being great. Like all schools there are those that take full advantage of the learning environment, and there are those that are there just to hang out with their friends, also the ones who are in between.
My daughter attended Rippon Middle School for a few months before I pulled her out. She went from a challenging curriculum at Henderson Elementary in Montclair (she was a B student with a C here and there) and all of a sudden, at Rippon, she was making straight As with no effort. While that all looks good on paper, it didn't make me feel good. I also have a friend who is an administrator at Graham Park Middle School (not great in its own right) and she told me that Rippon was awful and they had to have a cop permanently stationed there for all of the incidents that went on there. Most schools just had visiting cops. My neighbor went to Rippon and did a sit-in of her daughter's classes during a regular school day and was just appalled at the lack of control. Certainly you can expect some of that in most middle schools but she didn't like what was going on at all. She did end up pulling her kids out of there. They are now back in a PWC high school which she is fine with.

I don't make these remarks lightly because I do agree that there are slackers and those that excel in any environment. I'm sure some brilliant kids come out of Rippon MS but I think most kids hate putting up with the crap going on there.

As for Freedom, yes it is a new school but the "unofficial" scuttlebut on it is that it is plagued with problems due to the demographic--much as Gar-Field is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:27 AM

2,672 posts, read 6,234,707 times
What areas does Freedom pull in from? I bought a place in Harbors of Newport and those kids are still going to Potomac. Freedom is much closer but I guess that's where the boundaries are drawn. I would assume the kids from "state streets" are going to Freedom. Since that's a lower income area, those parents may not be involved with their kids as much as they should.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
What areas does Freedom pull in from? I bought a place in Harbors of Newport and those kids are still going to Potomac. Freedom is much closer but I guess that's where the boundaries are drawn. I would assume the kids from "state streets" are going to Freedom. Since that's a lower income area, those parents may not be involved with their kids as much as they should.
Not altogether sure of the boundaries. I know that I live off Cardinal and am zoned for Potomac. Thought I would get moved to Freedom but did not. I'm thinking that anything north of Neabsco Mills Road goes to Freedom. Not sure about Belmont Bay. They used to be zoned for Woodbridge Senior High School but that may have changed.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM

2,672 posts, read 6,234,707 times
Belmont goes to Freedom now: Find Your School!

I graduated from Potomac in '98. That's a tough school IMO. It pulled from the Georgetown/Village Gate/Williamstown areas. I lived in Georgetown for about 4 yrs so I knew a lot of the knuckleheads.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Belmont goes to Freedom now: Find Your School!

I graduated from Potomac in '98. That's a tough school IMO. It pulled from the Georgetown/Village Gate/Williamstown areas. I lived in Georgetown for about 4 yrs so I knew a lot of the knuckleheads.
It always has been. My kids don't go there as we do private now (it would have been cheaper for me to move!!) but I know many kids who went on to Potomac and did VERY well. One in particular is getting a full ride to his 4 year college. Interestingly enough, though, his mother decide to put his next younger sibling in private high school even though she had one do very well at Potomac. I think she was sick of whatever goes along with attending there.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:53 AM

7 posts, read 12,462 times
Belmont Bay is a great area. Since you shop on post, grocery stores are not a big concern. You can't beat the commute and the convience to I-95. You're making the right decission.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:52 PM

56 posts, read 185,397 times
We ended up living in Lake Ridge, which worked out great since I work here in Woodbridge so my husband is the only one who makes the commute.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:47 AM

23 posts, read 56,446 times
Default Belmont Bay

Belmont Bay is one of nicest developments in the DC area. It has waterfront property on two sides (Occoquan River,Belmont Bay), marina, golf course, pool, walking paths, restaurant, tennis courts, a VRE station and beautiful landscaping. I'm not sure where there is a comparable area in the Northern VA area. The part of Woodbridge outside of the development isnt great, and its true you have to drive 3 to 4 miles to the best shopping like Wegmans or Potomac Mills. But you have to decide whether its more important to live (95% of your time) in a sterile townhouse development like Rippon or Port Potomac to be close to shopping (5% of your time), or in a beautiful environment like Belmont Bay

As for transportion my wife and I both work in DC (and Rosslyn) and we've used the VRE (1/2 mile away) and Omniride bus (1.5 miles) depending on weather, traffic and where we are heading. Now however mostly use the slug lines at Horner or Heckinger park & ride lots. Google "slug lines" if you dont know what slugging is. Its the fastest (30 to 35 minutes to Rossyln for me) and cheapest (free) commuting in the DC area.

I dont know about schools (kids grown), other than the elementary which is located in the development itself.

As for crime, get copies of the local paper (Potomac News) for a week and read the crime reports. You'll find that the crimes occur in certain types of locations in the County (including Lake Ridge) which should be avoided. I dont know that I've read about an incident in Belmont Bay. It's well patrolled and relatively isolated with no thru traffic. Kind of like a gated community without the gate.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,341 times
Belmont Bay is a great neighborhood. One of the nest neighborhoods to live in if you are considering Woodbridge. We have lived there for over three years. New, clean, golf course, marina...what more you could you ask for? And Wegman's is less than 5 miles away for top notch grocery shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia